The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MT82 Transmission questions

344
0
I am replacing my used-up MT82 with another one for now, since I have everything else setup for it.
- Any opinions as to what I should pay for a decent used MT82?
Anyone got one fore sale?
Also, is the MT 82 rebuild-able & is there a go-to company for such a rebuild?
As always thanks in advance for any replies!
Lee.
 
I bought a fully rebuilt one from Ben Calimer on Facebook. It has some upgraded components and from what i have seen it works well. Mine has been having hold ups from other little issues so I haven't had a chance to drive it yet :'(.
 
344
0
Small world; I spoke with Ben yesterday & plan to bring the unit to him this week.
I was previously told that the mt82 is not rebuildable but apparently that is not the case!

Thanks for posting..
 
745
352
lbp said:
Small world; I spoke with Ben yesterday & plan to bring the unit to him this week.
I was previously told that the mt82 is not rebuildable but apparently that is not the case!

Thanks for posting..

It is and there are a few things that can be done to improve the transmission such as shift pads, stop pin, and fully welded shift forks. Everything else is OEM Ford.

Having said that, I have a Revolution Auto Stage 1 that failed at Watkins Glen a couple of weeks ago. All indications is the transmission failed due to heat. Third gear in particular had extensive blueing and other signs of heat fatigue. I would talk to Ben about adding provisions for dedicated transmission cooler ports to support a temp sensor, feed line, and return line. The case can be easily tapped for dedicated fittings while it is apart.

While my transmission did fail, Revolution has been very supportive in fixing my car, so this is not meant to be dig at the shop. I am simply paying for the failed parts, all of which are OEM Ford items. We are working on the best placement of dedicated ports for a transmission cooler.
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,545
2,376
Arizona, USA
2012-Boss said:
It is and there are a few things that can be done to improve the transmission such as shift pads, stop pin, and fully welded shift forks. Everything else is OEM Ford.

Having said that, I have a Revolution Auto Stage 1 that failed at Watkins Glen a couple of weeks ago. All indications is the transmission failed due to heat. Third gear in particular had extensive blueing and other signs of heat fatigue. I would talk to Ben about adding provisions for dedicated transmission cooler ports to support a temp sensor, feed line, and return line.

The case can be easily tapped for dedicated fittings while it is apart.
We are working on the best placement of dedicated ports for a transmission cooler.

Let us know what you come up with for the tranny cooler w/ pump etc. Very interested in this info.
 
Steve, that's not something I wanted to hear!! :eek:

Your luck with this car hasn't been very good lately, hope everything works out and you can get back out there in no time.
 
745
352
Sarkis,

All in all, I am not going to complain, but you are right that this past year I have had my share of issues. Between the PCM and the transmission, I've lost a fair amount of track time since last fall. I also suspect my engine harness is going bad. Fortunately, I had a new one sitting on the shelf which will be installed before I head back to the Glen this weekend.

I will post up picks and a parts list for the cooler when I am done. I should have listened to Steve Esposito - he has been telling me to install one since last summer.
 
344
0
ArizonaBOSS said:
Let us know what you come up with for the tranny cooler w/ pump etc. Very interested in this info.

I'll update this post as soon as the Trans is done
Right now it is in Ben's capable hands
In the meantime thx for posting!
 
344
0
lbp said:
I'll update this post as soon as the Trans is done
Right now it is in Ben's capable hands
In the meantime thx for posting!

OK; The trans by Ben Calimer came out perfect.
Much more positive shifts in every respect.
The cooler will be added as the car is now in maintenance mode due to "circumstances beyond my control."
I will post back when the trans cooler is on-board!
 
Mad Hatter said:
Great to hear! I have my rebuilt box from Ben Calimer sitting in the garage waiting for a new clutch to arrive. Would love to find a prepared kit for a tranny oil cooler.
This is a start.

http://shop.watsonracing.com/MUSTANG-TRANS-COOLER-FOR-DRAG-RACE-APPLICATION-p/wr-drtranscooler.htm

WR-DRTRANSCOOLER-2T.jpg
 
Check out Texas Motorsports for high performance builds on the MT82.
They're on Facebook. Facebook.com/txmotorsports
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top