The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My latest project: Jacking Plates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: My latest project

Jack plates are back from the powder coater. I will be PM those who stated they wanted them shortly. At this time all are spoken for. I will be making more but chances are the price is going to have to increase a bit.

jack%20plates_zps9kc6rau1.jpg

Thanks to great instructions, install was really easy. 15 minutes a side. I also applied silicon to the top of the plates and the bolts, to prevent rust in the pinch weld.

IMG_1262Medium_zps6e0ec904.jpg

IMG_1261Medium_zpsf7e39e45.jpg

I used a jack to push the plates up rather than a hammer, and kept the car loaded on the jack to drill the holes through the pinch weld. Front: Rear position is ideal.

Thanks for the writeup Nick. Mine should be here this week but the car's already on the trailer for back to back weekends so may not get this done until that's over.

Are you guys installing these centered between the wheels or using the center of gravity location to get even lift between front and rear?

F.D. Sako said:
Are you guys installing these centered between the wheels or using the center of gravity location to get even lift between front and rear?

I haven't installed mine yet, but the provided instructions include precise measurements for locating the plates

F.D. Sako said:

As close to the center of gravity allowed by the design of the rocker panel. And as VTBoss302 stated, the are measurements where to place the plates.

F.D. Sako said:
Has anyone experienced pinch weld bending while jacking up the car with these?

There is no way to bend the pinch weld using these, at least that I can think of. The upper portions of the mount sit tight to the rocker panel.

boss man said:
Do you think making these out of aluminum stock would work and would the cost be to much.

I don't think you could bend the aluminum at the angle that the steel plates are bent at without them getting really weak or actually breaking. They could be welded in that position with two different pieces but the cost would probably triple the cost of steel.

Wow, these look great.

The one concern I have is this: what will drilling holes into the pinch weld do to the structural strength of those runners? Seems to me that it would compromise that somewhat.

I'd think that could be dealt with easily by tack-welding these into place, however...

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

kcbrown said:
Wow, these look great.

The one concern I have is this: what will drilling holes into the pinch weld do to the structural strength of those runners? Seems to me that it would compromise that somewhat.

I'd think that could be dealt with easily by tack-welding these into place, however...

The only compromise to the seam would be when you take it off. Then I wouldn't jack or support directly under the hole. These don't go anywhere near where I'd do that anyway.

TMO Supporting Vendors