The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Naca DUCTS on a Teste' Model TREE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bay Area
Today I saw a Model 3 with a big ass wang. That makes sense to me. But as I got infront of it I saw it had a CF hood with NACA Ducts. I lol'led. scracthed my head and asked anotehr TMO'er with the devils car, WHY?

The Teste' 3 looked track prepped, aero, wheels, tow hook, had all the 5HP stickers and tracks on it. (never seen it at any events I have been to). So can someone enlighten me as to WHY?????Wrong answers appreciated for a good laugh. But I am not going to sleep knowing a Teste' 3 has NACA ducts on it.

Bay Area
Since there is nothing under the hood the ducks force air into the Testes luggage sack, creating downforce. Or, it could be just to make the car look a little better since they are so damn ugly.
I guess they want to create more drag and reduce aero efficiency. I know I’ll see the modern day Pinto again and will ask or point and make fun of it.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Heh, in 1974 a 1972 Monte Carlo ran a stop sign and hit me on the driver's door of my little black Pinto. It shattered my driver's door window pitting the inside of the windshield and peppering the passenger window with deep gouges. Ironically I only had a couple of small cuts, but alas I was not left unscathed as it crushed my vertebrae enough that I lost 1.5 inches in height and the olde back still suffers to this day , but.......................she was safer than a Testes as she didn't catch fire.

So let him know the NACA ducts will feed more oxygen to any fire and it will likely make sure it burns to the ground if it ignites at the track, ha!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
My parents had two Pintos. Both great transportation. One had a 2000cc engine and a 4 speed, the other 2300 auto. Fun to drive as a teenager.
And yes, unfortunately we had a local tragedy involving a Pinto. Two girls from our High School died when rear ended by a semi. Being hit from behind by a semi doing 50+ while stopped would have destroyed most 70s era cars. The car was blamed when The driver of the truck should have been.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Remember in the 70's you had the oil embargoes / gas crises and the insurance companies raising costs on muscle cars. By the mid- to late-70's, a '67 Mustang with a 4bbl 390 was a 10-year old gas guzzler with a high insurance rate. A Pinto was nearly new, had (relatively) good fuel economy, and low insurance cost. For a dealership that might mostly sell cars to commuters (or a private seller with a 30-mile daily commute), that deal probably made sense at that particular time.

I guess I'd say "warped" instead of "damaged." ;)

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
On the subject of wacky trades, the local Ford/Mercury/Lincoln dealer took a Pantera in on trade and a 74 Mustang Ghia. It was a woman customer that they took advantage of. The parts department manager was a good friend of my brother and told it was a straight up trade and the Pantera disappeared the same day.
On exploding Pinto's. I owned 2, a 71 2dr sedan 2.0L 4 speed, horrid lime green, it was my beater. Got sandwiched in rush hour traffic, front and rear smushed, no fire. My 72 Red wood side wagon, 2.0L 4 speed was a real magnet for accidents. Somebody backed into the rear and smashed the tailgate and bumper. Then there was the semi that merged into my left door and 1/4 panel at 60 mph cruising up 35W in Minneapolis, I was trapped car in front of me and another semi on my right side. Eventually everyone backed off as they couldn't believe how that right steer tire was shredding my poor Pinto. The final straw was getting T-Boned in the parking lot at work. Used truck salesman had taken a straight truck out for a test ride with a customer. Parked back in the lot and forgot to set the parking brake and left the truck in neutral. The lot had a fair slop and pretty exposed to wind. Truck rolls down the hill and smashes the left door and 1/4 panel. Meanwhile I'm in the shop working on something and the service department manager needs to speak to me, in his office. All this fun and no fires.

TMO Supporting Vendors