The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New 200 TWR tire coming out from Continental -- with some Hoosier DNA.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
MN
It's going to be a slower sell at that price point IMO. Being just shy of a Hoosier slick and around the same price as the A052 in the 18's ... I REALLY wanted to give these a shot, but can't justify the cost @ $400/ea. They may turn out to be top dog, but coming in a little late to the fight this year.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
They’ll be worth the $400 if they have the endurance/road race capabilities and durability of the RS-4’s with improved pace that’s closer to the hot 200TW tires geared more towards AutoX.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
They already look like they will have one thing the RS-4s did not have ...........some fat meat rubber footprints for wide glide wheels ( with rims ). I did put that down correctly didn't I Blacksheep? Trying to remember to call wheels , wheels! A rim is on a basketball goal or where you apply salt on a Margarita glass.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Scottsdale
This might be a stupid question but since I am running 305 19s, on 11 rims, do you think the 315s will fit on my car without rubbing or do I need to run more camber in front. Running 2.75 in front currently?

I’ve been trying to work this out myself. Same wheels, diff set-up, but this thread linked below might be helpful. I’m guessing you’ll need a thicker spacer and probably more neg camber. I‘m going to try it, but not until July. Link:

This might be a stupid question but since I am running 305 19s, on 11 rims, do you think the 315s will fit on my car without rubbing or do I need to run more camber in front. Running 2.75 in front currently?

Last edited:
Rob,

Good Morning and thanks for writing. After 3+ years of joint partnership with Continental engineering staff we are ready to launch our first Continental branded TW200 Endurance track tire. I am hoping to have the first few 17" sizes in June with the remaining sizes to finally arrive in September. (225/40R-17, P225/45R-17, P255/40R-17)
Our initial spec flyer is attached showing the proposed sizes and car fitments. This is an Endurance Specific Application tire for WRL, Champ Car, AER and other 7 - 9 hour race event per day series.
This is not an autocross tire. You may find this tire will find High Performance Street Enthusiasts as well as Track Day competitors who are not in competition or recording lap times.
The tires are currently being made in Germany and will be arriving at the Hoosier Warehouse in Lakeville, IN to sell through our Distributor Network and Tire Rack.
As we progress through the Summer, if you have any questions, please write me directly.
I am glad to hear there is some enthusiasm for this new tire.

Jeffrey A. Speer

Circuit Racing Product Manager

Hoosier Racing Tire a Continental AG Company

1620059888655.png1620059809922.png

sfo
Rob,

What do you think Pheonix crew would say about going to a 200twr tire for the T classes, SCCA T2-T4?

Spec corvette has chosen its 200TWR based on this criteria:
  1. The tire can't have a first heat cycle lap time advantage
  2. The tire must not heat cycle degrade into slower lap times
  3. The tire must last at lead four race weekends
  4. The tire must produce winning lap times and win races on the fourth weekend
  5. The tire must be treaded so it can also serve as a rain race tire

I think these are parameters of most street tires. The problem with hooHoo A's is they are expensive and are good for 1 race and degrade from the 1st. lap. Our costs would go down dramatically and the hoosier sponcor can still be intact since HooHoo is under Continental Tire. The competition would be the same while ultimate speeds might be lower. Lower speeds cost us less damage when we hit stuff and costs us less to repair too. The Vette guys love racing on 200TWR tires.

I would even accept a mix of tires in the class in that I would rather let some cars on HooHoo A's and me on 200TWR at full power no restrictor or less weight.

What do you think?

Rob,

What do you think Pheonix crew would say about going to a 200twr tire for the T classes, SCCA T2-T4?

I think these are parameters of most street tires. The problem with hooHoo A's is they are expensive and are good for 1 race and degrade from the 1st. lap. Our costs would go down dramatically and the hoosier sponcor can still be intact since HooHoo is under Continental Tire. The competition would be the same while ultimate speeds might be lower. Lower speeds cost us less damage when we hit stuff and costs us less to repair too. The Vette guys love racing on 200TWR tires.

I would even accept a mix of tires in the class in that I would rather let some cars on HooHoo A's and me on 200TWR at full power no restrictor or less weight.

What do you think?
Having raced on Toyo R888s in WorldChallenge before they switched to the Pirellis... scary in the wet, and no grip in the dry... No thanks. Yes everyone is in the same boat, but they can't get cars balanced with everyone running about the same tires, let alone people using cheaper/slower tires vs people shaving tires and still using 2 sets of tires a weekend. IMO you'll then spend more money trying to fix problems from a lack of grip... I get a chuckle out of all the wings i see in endurance racing series that use 180tw tires because the cars have no grip.

Rob,

What do you think?

I would say that this is an unrealistic set of specifications unless you are running rocks for tires.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Seems expensive for a 200twr
Tire Rack has the 315/30-18 at $386. I don’t think anyone pays full price at Track Day Tire, so with discount about $368. A bit higher than the RT660, about even with the Rival S and a bit lower than the A052. I don’t expect them to be as quick as those 3, but hoping for long life. One thing that drives me crazy with Time Trials is making a few hot laps in the morning sessions with sticky tires, and then skipping the afternoon sessions to preserve the sticky tires. Going forward I will run A7’s in the morning and then go HPDE mode with the Contis in the afternoon and run full sessions. All about the seat time.

TMO Supporting Vendors