The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New AMSOIL 5W-50

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Is the sky falling? ;)

Didn't think they'd make it...but maybe if you b**** and argue enough on the internet...

...and it meets Ford's oil spec for the Boss and Track Pack/Perf Pack cars!

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is excellent for use in all types of gasoline-fueled vehicles. It is recommended for all domestic and foreign vehicles requiring any of the listed performance specifications:

5W-50 (AMR): API SN, SM...; Ford WSS-M2C931-C (Mustang)

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/sae-5w-50-signature-series-100-percent-synthetic-motor-oil/

But wait, according to Amsoil it's not needed. You can run their 10W-40 and be fine. So if that was true why bother? ;)

NFSBOSS said:
But wait, according to Amsoil it's not needed. You can run their 10W-40 and be fine. So if that was true why bother? ;)

This, if their head of all things oil UnleashedBeast thinks, no knows, that 10w-40 is better in every way why would they make a 5w-50?

If I remember right, UnleashedBeast never said the 10W40 was ideal for tracking, but better than 5W50 for daily driving. I would tend to agree since a one-size-fits-all oil viscosity of 5W50 is probably a compromise by Ford. I think a wise consumer would scoff at a one-size-fits-all mentality at this point.

Grant 302

Brewmaster said:
Ford specifies .....B and Amsoil is ....C. What's the difference?
C is the updated Ford spec which supercedes the B spec, if I understand that correctly.

NFSBOSS said:
I didn't want to mention any one by name but...::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Grant I'm sure will communicate our position over on SVT.

:-X I speak for no one but Grant. ;)

WinterSucks said:
If I remember right, UnleashedBeast never said the 10W40 was ideal for tracking, but better than 5W50 for daily driving. I would tend to agree since a one-size-fits-all oil viscosity of 5W50 is probably a compromise by Ford. I think a wise consumer would scoff at a one-size-fits-all mentality at this point.

Well, my intent was definitely *not* to drag the (old) discussion here... But 10W-40 was recommended for 'learning and non-competition' or short sessions at the track for dual-purpose cars. And that's the whole reason why I posted in that thread. When you know guys like Gary and John, you know they can beat the stuff out of a car while not competing...even in cars that are well prepped for the track like the CVR school cars or even their own cars. When we saw what happens to oil temps and pressures in the various oil cooler threads plus the data from Swiss Boss using 10W-40 on track, I think the right answers became clear.

Brandon302 said:
One of the perks, or faults, of being young and unmannered.
I'm too **** old for that *****ing s***. ;) Right or wrong, I always call it as I see it. Just like I can tell you I'm glad you're looking at options that don't involve poly in the UCA. Leave that drag race stuff out of your Boss. ;)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
302BOB said:
I don't know what this all means? I sticking with Castrol 5W50. Is that old school already?

I'm with you, Bob.

Plus, $11.50/quart? lol

WinterSucks said:
No disagreement here. I won't use anything but 5w50 for tracking, if I actually get the chance this year... Just waiting on another Mobil 1 sale :)

As a reminder, if someone could please post up when NAPA has their next Mobil 1 sale, I'm down to my last 9 quarts. :)

I don't see any reason to change oil brands three years in. I'll be staying with Mobile 1 and Castrol. I haven't paid more than $5.69 for mobile 1/ $4.59 per qt for Castrol and see no reason to pay $8 plus per qt now! My last oil analysis still showed great performance after 200 tracks miles and then 5200 street miles.

Grant 302

I plan on trying it for one fill this year and doing a UOA on it. But it would be hard to sway me from M1 on sale or Castrol after that.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
I'm very interested to see how my castrol oil did over about 600 track miles this past season. If it held up well I might try amsoil once but I agree it would be a hard sell at double the price of M1 or Castrol...

I do believe the quality is higher, being an ester based oil. BUT do you actually need that quality is the question in my mind. That would depend on the application and budget in my opinion.

Is the "member" price any lower?
I havent purchased anything from amsoil for a while, but i remember they offered lower prices to dealers and members.

TMO Supporting Vendors