The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

new owner tomorrow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trading a vette for a boss! I was hoping to go the other way in the future ;D

What's the deal with the quads?
The deal is you remove the restrictor plates, get track key or a lopey idle tune, and drive around town like a maniac down shifting every chance you get (but doing the speed limit of course) 8)

mikebxb

2012 BOSS 302 0782 no mods yet
Texas
ArizonaBOSS said:
Welcome to the club!

Thanks

To clarify where do i go to educate myself on them? Are they Closed and non functional til you remove or cut hole(s)
And in all my research What is the "Torsen rear end" you mean they aren't already posi-trac?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Sorry--the quad exhaust have some "restrictor plates" in the sidepipes that have a 1/4" hole in them to let some sound through.

NFSBOSS on here makes plates w/ various diameter holes in them, but I recommend removing them altogether and just enjoying the full ferocity of the sound. They come out with 2 15mm nuts per side under the car--you'll need a ratcheting box end wrench to make it go anything faster than turtle speed.

The "regular" rear is a posi, but it is clutch-plate based using friction material that can wear out over time and during track use. The Torsen T2 is a helical gear based LSD that doesn't wear out--so you get the same predictable posi time after time, especially on the track. They don't like drag launches on slicks, though.

Looks like ArizonaBoss beat me to it!
-----------------------------------------------------
Check out the following thread, you may find some answers.
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=3663.0

Basically at the flange where the side pipes connect to the H-pipe, are these resterictor plates, which only allows a certain amount of exhaust and sound waves to exit the side pipes. You can either remove the resterictor plates, or drill/buy different size holes to increase amount of exhaust and sound exiting through the side pipes. Basically, the car gets louder as the resterictor plate hole gets bigger, or is removed. I believe QTP offers an electronically adjustable valve that you can open and close with a switch to adjust the noise level on the go.

Did your boss come with Recaro seats?
If so, you have the Torsen rear limited slip differential (LSD), which is a mechanical/gear type LSD. If your boss did not come with Recaros, then it has a clutch type LSD. My understanding is, Torsen is more durable and provides consistent slip for tracking purposes, where as the clutch type LSD can wear and give you more slip over time.

Mike, welcome to BMO and congratulations. Any plans to take your BOSS to a road course or drag strip?

mikebxb

2012 BOSS 302 0782 no mods yet
Texas
thanks
no plans for track at this time
another clutch plate in the rear end ---not liking that
will probably go with plates offered here later
gotta get that white roof painted dark blue like rest of car

this one has silver / brushed alum SVT wheels which i prefer over the black painted
it'll be nice to sit a little higher and not bottom out everywhere.
looking forward to stirring the gears again.

for the record there's an irony me going from Vette number 8 to a mustang where it started for me (66 gt vert 289 cobrapak 4 spd)

fyi the new boss 302 is leagues above the factory produced mule they called boss 302 in 1969 .
thns for all the info looking forward

06 C6 VicRed/ A6, Z51 Brakes, VR CAI, Ace Wheels, Tint, Flowmster quads.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11538...089?banner=pwa

H-D Softail Cust
Prev owned 2002 Z06 Blk/Blk CAI,
'89 IROC Z Vert, A4,
'87 IROC Z 350TPI, '77 280Z, '69 E Type Jag
'71, 73, 75, 77, T-Top Stingrays (all 350's)
'72 TR6, '70 Challenger RT383 Mag 4spd,
'67 Corvette Sting Ray Vert 327/375 A2
'66 Stang GT vert 4sp, A/C

Welcome Mikebxb. I also had an '06 C6 (Monterey Red/tan, A6, magetic ride suspension, HUD) that I sold on late 2012 and I moved on to a '13 Boss. As you probably already know the Boss is an entirely different kind of car - more of a muscle car personality vs. the 'Vette which is the best GT value out there IMO. My wife and I spent hundreds of hours prowling 2-lane highways around the country in the 'Vette and it was perfect for that, But the Boss is a more raw and visceral car that loves to be driven, is at home on the track and stirs the emotions.

You'll love the quad exhaust because it's tune-able by inserting discs with different diameter holes so you can get it just how you like it. No more paying out big bucks for different exhaust systems or living with one you're not quite happy with. If you want to go one better install a set of QTP electric cutouts and tune it on the fly to match your mood with a switch or remote. Enjoy your Boss! I'm sure you will.

I would try vinyl on the roof before painting. Less permanent and I suspect painting over it might hurt the resale just like removing the c-stripes. And if you are picking it up used try and find out if they already replaced the trans and diff oils. I would get used to the sound of the baffles first, then you will really appreciate it when you remove them :)

TMO Supporting Vendors