The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NEW PRODUCT! 05-14 Mustang Secret Hitch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
2 years ago, I got a set of race slicks for track days and quickly realized there's no place to stuff them into the car. So, I bought a hitch to tow all my gear. Well, it was functional, but when not towing, it was just ugly and didn't belong on my sports car. It added 35lbs of race weight for no track benefit. It wasn't realistic to take it off and reinstall it repeatedly, so I did what I do best...I engineered a solution. The Secret Hitch was born. Once I started using it for the track and upgraded to the "donkey trailer" (a 4x8 HF trailer with stakesides), I found the car to be much more useful. Not only could I cruise, race and daily, but now I could pick up drywall and lumber! Imagine the looks I got pulling up to the merchandise pickup awning at Home Depot! As weight was of paramount concern, I worked on weight savings by cutting out the flanges and moving from the standard issue crush formed heavy wall square tube to a mandrel bent DOM steel tube. The end result is 16lbs curb weight added (when the receiver is not attached). And yes, it passes the SAE J684 standards for a Class 1 hitch, so its capable of carrying 200lbs of tongue weight and tow 2000lbs.

The hitch has been fitted to only a handful of Mustangs, so I can't attest to its ability to be a completely bolt-in, no mod install, but I believe its worst case scenario was Sarkis' 2013 Boss with the GT500 quad tip muflers. A couple of strips of rubber were needed to prevent wear and rattling between the crossbar and the inside tips, but it all fit up beautifully.

As an added benefit, you get a red tow loop attachment for a NO CUT rear tow hook option!

2005-2014-mustang-secret-hitch-kit.jpg

https://www.blowfishracing.com/towing-hauling/111-2005-2014-mustang-secret-hitch-kit.html

The rubber pad, provided by Steve, has adhesive on one side. The pad was wrapped around the hitch bar and not the tip, as seen in the third pic.

Last I checked, the inside tips were 2-4mm away from the hitch bar. So, I'm sure they're making contact and I have no rattles.

The real test will be in a couple of weeks at the track, to see if the rubber pad melts or not. According to Steve, it shouldn't, because he's tested it on his car already. So, I'm pretty confident I wont have any problems.

Contact Steve, he might be able to help you out with the pad.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Thanks FD Sako for the Pictures. Usneen is pretty cool. But mostly I am looking at the tow hook that requires no cutting or drilling. I already have the front BFR towhook but would love to have the same for the back. How about it pufferfish? Any plans for a no mod rear towhook without the hitch?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
TymeSlayer said:
Thanks FD Sako for the Pictures. Usneen is pretty cool. But mostly I am looking at the tow hook that requires no cutting or drilling. I already have the front BFR towhook but would love to have the same for the back. How about it pufferfish? Any plans for a no mod rear towhook without the hitch?

Not to answer for Steve ....But.

He does have a rear hook which is nearly no mod. He mounts the hook behind the license plate. You do have to make a single hole in the bumper cover. This hole is behind the rear license late. The hook portion is removable. Remove the hook and reinstall the license plate.

Since the hook has to mount somewhere, I have no idea where anyone could mount a loop on the rear without using one of the two systems Steve already his in production.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
TMSBOSS said:
Not to answer for Steve ....But.

He does have a rear hook which is nearly no mod. He mounts the hook behind the license plate. You do have to make a single hole in the bumper cover. This hole is behind the rear license late. The hook portion is removable. Remove the hook and reinstall the license plate.

Since the hook has to mount somewhere, I have no idea where anyone could mount a loop on the rear without using one of the two systems Steve already his in production.

Thanks TMS but I was hoping that I could get a rear towhook with no mod at all. This new product lowers the position of the BFR hook and requires no modification and I don't have to mess with the license plate. I suppose for the price I should just buy the hitch kit since the price difference between the two are just $20. Who knows, maybe someday I will use the hitch too.

TymeSlayer said:
Thanks TMS but I was hoping that I could get a rear towhook with no mod at all. This new product lowers the position of the BFR hook and requires no modification and I don't have to mess with the license plate. I suppose for the price I should just buy the hitch kit since the price difference between the two are just $20. Who knows, maybe someday I will use the hitch too.
If I had to do it over again that's what I'd do. Hopefully BFR starts making bolt on tow hooks kits for the GT350/S550 and a fire extinguisher mount too. ;)

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i will be working on the s550 platform soon. i have a bumper beam on order to get that geometry. then to figure out elevations and depths for where it will poke through...hopefully without cutting.

also, the existing 11-14 rear tow hook kits shown on the site are obsoleted (they are still up as a placeholder). the next gen will be taking over and they will be around $100 cheaper! i am just waiting for product to arrive. i am expecting them in the next couple of weeks.

oh, and there have been ordering issues on the hitch kits, because of shipping parameters being out of whack. its all straightened out now.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel