The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Tires Installation - A few questions and your experiences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The time has come. :( I got 14,496 daily driver miles out of my Pirellis, which is about 4,496 more than I expected. I have been dreading this like going to the dentist though.

I have picked out my tires and they are on their way from TireRack.com. I'm wondering about a few things though as I search for someone to install them:

1. Generally, what is a good price to pay for tire installation when you bring your own tires?
2. Do you have to do anything to the TPMS on the 4 corners of the car? Replace completely? New battery (do they have batteries?)? Any parts to replace on them?
3. Should I worry about tire installation scratching up my rims if the installer isn't using a "run flat machine"?
4. Any "gotchas", or other things I should be thinking about?

I would love to get some help on these questions, and hear about your good and bad experiences. Don't want to hurt my baby because I "didn't know any better" the first time.

Thanks in advance all!

KG

drano38

Wayne
Here's my inputs:
1. Last year I paid $50 to install 4 track tires onto track rims. This year the dealer got a new machine to not damage rims, and charged me $50 to flip my front 2 tires.
2. TPMS--should be good to go.
3. Yes. I'm not familiar with "run flat" machines. Inspect your rims, preferably with a service rep, when you drop them off. My brand new Enkei's last summer got some good paint scratches/scuffs in them from the first tire install--got several hundred dollars credit on my account towards future service for it.
4. Discuss with the service rep your concern about rim damage, and find out how well their machine prevents it. Shop around, because all machines are not created equal. Ask friends who they recommend.

Good luck!

DieselRocket said:
The time has come. :( I got 14,496 daily driver miles out of my Pirellis, which is about 4,496 more than I expected. I have been dreading this like going to the dentist though.

I have picked out my tires and they are on their way from TireRack.com. I'm wondering about a few things though as I search for someone to install them:

1. Generally, what is a good price to pay for tire installation when you bring your own tires?
2. Do you have to do anything to the TPMS on the 4 corners of the car? Replace completely? New battery (do they have batteries?)? Any parts to replace on them?
3. Should I worry about tire installation scratching up my rims if the installer isn't using a "run flat machine"?
4. Any "gotchas", or other things I should be thinking about?

I would love to get some help on these questions, and hear about your good and bad experiences. Don't want to hurt my baby because I "didn't know any better" the first time.

Thanks in advance all!

KG

KG,

I've always had great success with Discount Tire. I use one particular store (Keller is a little to far from McKinney). The manager is a friend of mine and he takes great care of my Boss, Trucks, my sons CTSV and GT-R. All cars with special needs with special wheels, etc.

I've always found his price to be competitive with anyone, anywhere. Plus, I can always go back to a local guy, especially with the amount of investment in tires.

e.g. My son just tried out some new Michelins on the GT-R;; just didn't look right to him, so took them back after a few days and no problem with exchange.

Check out a Discount store near you and introduce yourself to the manager and tell him your concerns about the Boss and how concerned you are about installation, etc.

If you would like, I would be happy to ask Ken to recommend someone near you? Referrals and networking always work great.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Thanks for the replies :)

I went with Sewell Mini of Plano. They had a run flat machine, and being Sewell I felt confident that they would take care of my car. VERY happy with the result. The installer did a great job, didn't put a scratch on them, and really took his time. Clint Fox was my service manager and treated me like royalty. Highly recommend them for this if anyone else in the Dallas area finds themselves in the same boat on new tire install.

KG

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
I had a leak in one rear tire like a week after buying my Boss new, they put a patch on inside side but damaged rim in process ( Ford Dealer) they replaced the wheel $590.

DieselRocket said:
Thanks for the replies :)

I went with Sewell Mini of Plano. They had a run flat machine, and being Sewell I felt confident that they would take care of my car. VERY happy with the result. The installer did a great job, didn't put a scratch on them, and really took his time. Clint Fox was my service manager and treated me like royalty. Highly recommend them for this if anyone else in the Dallas area finds themselves in the same boat on new tire install.

KG

Sounds like you had a great experience...BTW what tires did you end up going with?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel