The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Wheels for my.....future Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Typically the SN95 wheels will fit an S197, but not the other way around. But due to the differences in offset previously noted, the wheels will stick out from the wheelwells 1/4 to 1/2 an inch. If you can live with that, no big deal. The real question is whether or not any SN95 17" wheel would clear Brembos, to which the typical answer is "no".

BossJockey said:
Gary,
Did you buy tires for the rims? Have you test fit them yet? Pics?
Here's a pic of the front wheel. They just took it off the alignment rack and test fit the fronts. I wasn't worried about the rears. Just to be safe we took 3/16" off the hex end of upper sway bar bolt, but probably not necessary. We've got as much or maybe a little more clearance with the tire to the bolt than factory. If I get time when I get home I could pop one on front and back with some pics. I know 5 DOT 0 is dying to see some silver wheels on a Boss ;D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Pretty big gap with the 18s

I just talked to the tech, the factory camber was -.95 and we got -1.7 using an eccentric bolt, so that should be pretty good for starters. Hopefully I won't completely destroy the shoulder of the track tires that way, and it shouldn't be a big deal on the street. I'll run a pyrometer across the fronts at the track to see what it looks like.

cloud9 said:
OK here's a series of pics. These are the Enkeis with a 275/40/18 NT01. The center caps are on just for Rick you track rats so no comments from the peanut gallery :)
Looks good and I like those center caps. ;) Your garage looks like mine except for the snow shovels. ;D

GA
Nice wheels- they look great.

Check out how good the 302R wheels look on a Bullitt. A member on IMBOC just put them on and upgraded his brakes. You can also see what you can do with a Bullitt when you have plenty of time and money.

http://www.imboc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2135022&postcount=3279

PJWANNABE said:
Nice wheels- they look great.

Check out how good the 302R wheels look on a Bullitt. A member on IMBOC just put them on and upgraded his brakes. You can also see what you can do with a Bullitt when you have plenty of time and money.

http://www.imboc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2135022&postcount=3279
I did a PS of those wheels on Terry's car for him a couple of months ago. I guess he liked how it looked. ;) Terry has a bad ass car but he's put a lot of money into it.

LSwheelsprostreetbullitt22.jpg

The wheels on that Bullitt do look really good. But without an American Racing type mag wheel it no longer looks like a true Bullitt. Gotta have that retro style wheel to make it real. Especially on a Bullitt, the exterior needs to stay looking as much like the original '68 fastback as possible in my opinion.

GA
jimprw said:
The wheels on that Bullitt do look really good. But without an American Racing type mag wheel it no longer looks like a true Bullitt. Gotta have that retro style wheel to make it real. Especially on a Bullitt, the exterior needs to stay looking as much like the original '68 fastback as possible in my opinion.

True, but I have yet to find a wheel in that style that will accommodate the larger brakes.

cloud9 said:
OK here's a series of pics. These are the Enkeis with a 275/40/18 NT01. The center caps are on just for Rick you track rats so no comments from the peanut gallery :)

I surprised by the amount of wheel well gap for a tire that about 1/4" smaller than stock. I guessing you didn't drive it with those wheels on, so it may sit lower once you drove it a little.

Yea I thought about that after I snapped the photos. I probably should have driven it. Now that I've got the additional camber I think I'll throw them on again and drive them a little just to get a feel. I hate to drive R-comps on the street but I would like to see how the feel. It should settle a little bit. The overall diamater is 1/2" I believe...I think the stockers are 27.1 and the 275/40/18 are 26.5. I wanted to go with 275/35/18 but they are only 25.6 so would be dropping 1-1/2" which is pretty dramatic without lowering the car.

BossJockey said:
I surprised by the amount of wheel well gap for a tire that about 1/4" smaller than stock. I guessing you didn't drive it with those wheels on, so it may sit lower once you drove it a little.
I put them back on tonight because I wanted to get it out and drive them to make sure I was clearing the top of the strut ok. Using the ecentric bolt to gain neg camber tips it in toward the strut a little. Depending on how the tire temps look I may just go with c/c plates which will give me more room again at the top of the strut and allow for more neg camber. I have 3/8-1/2" at the top of the tire to the strut and anything over 1/4" should be fine. I still wanted to drive them around some high speed clover leafs just to be sure. They stick nicely :) Anyway, I took a pic of it after driving to see if it settled any. Might be a little better but still plenty of gap.

I'm also going to bring my staggered set of 18 x 9.5 front and 18 x 10.5 rear with 275/35/18 and 305/35/18 R888s so I can compare running a square set of 40s with a staggered set of 35s. Does anyone know what sizes they run on the 302Rs?

5 DOT 0 said:
Did it thaw out there today? You should think about having those wheels powder coated black next Winter.
Actually melted yesterday a little after noon. Yea I might need to powder coat them sooner. Always in a rush. Big advantage of being Q2 is learning from all us early adopters.

TMO Supporting Vendors