The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Nitto Tire Wear Analysis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just ran through my first set of 555R II's, and my last since they've been discontinued, and only got four days out of them. Three of the days were on a CW track, Sonoma, and one was on a CCW track, Thunderhill. I drive my car to the track so these tires maybe had 1,400 miles on them and 20 heat cycles. I ran 36F and 34R hot and have -2.1 camber. I have not had my front end aligned since I insalled my camber plates over two years ago. Note both left side tires wore a lot and the right ones not as much. My RF was replaced after one track day due to a cut so it only has three days on it. Should I expect wear like this when driving on the tires to the track?

I have a set of NT01's ready to be installed and I'd like to get a couple of more track days out of them if I can.

LF
IMG_4419_zps4b1478cf.jpg

LR
IMG_4416_zps7d3a729d.jpg

RF (one less day)
IMG_4420_zpsd68d0abe.jpg

RR
IMG_4418_zps16ada9ac.jpg

Member YoPauly has been running NT01's and had some unusual wear on his front tires after three track days. The outsides of the tires are cupping and you can feel it with your hands. His rears are wearing evenly. He also runs 36F and 34R hot has more than -2.1 camber and has some toe out dialed in too but I don't remember how much and he's also on the same tracks. Does anyone have any idea what's causing this wear?

LF
LF1_zpsfaf87c1c.jpg

RF
RF1_zps75e810fb.jpg

The rear tires look much like mine. I had fairly even wear on the fronts after 4 days and -2.3 deg camber. I would think the inside wear might be from the street driving as my street tires are starting to wear heavy on the inside with low miles( less than 6000). Oh, and my left front does wear more on the inside than the right front which is why I now am running -2.6 deg right front and -2.3 deg Left front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
PeteInCT said:
I'd get rid of the Toe, make it 0.
+1 I had a full -1/8" of toe and was killing Conti's inside shoulders in 3 days too. I thought I was at -1/16", Set to 0 when I mounted the R888s and the wear has been excellent after 20 sessions over 4 days ( about 9 hours). Performance of the R888's is another matter. Going back on the Continentals this coming weekend at Summit Point, will report.
Steve

+3, zero the toe and rotate the tires right to left. I've spoken to Nitto tech about left to right rotation with the 555RII, and for off road non-rain use only it is fine.

Thanks everyone. I think for my situation driving on the street to the track is taking it's toll. I calculated approximately 900 street miles and 500 track miles driving to and from the track for the four days. I'm going to mount the NT01's for my next event and I think I'll swap the tires from side to side after each event going forward. The NT01's are less directional than the 555R II's. I may also swap the fronts on the wheels if necessary. While I maintained the pressures at the track pretty tight I was not so diligent rotating the tires.

For Paul's car we think the understeer is what's causing the cupping and it is even on both wheels.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
For directional tires (square), rotate front to rear as frequently as possible. Then flip tires on the rims and rotate L-R when tires are about half done.

For the 555s, the rear pressure looks too high based on the center wear. I'd try 2 lbs less hot or manage the wear with rotation.

If you're going to drive on the street, Toe has to be set to zero or change your camber for street and track.

Check suspension connections for the cupping. Ball joints and bearings might need replacement.

For asymmetrical tires like the NT-01 (square), rotate both F-R and L-R as frequently as possible. If you run both CW and CCW courses, you do not need to rotate L-R as frequently. In general, put your best tire on the front/outside (LF on CW course or RF on CCW course).

TMO Supporting Vendors