The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NOS questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seriously thinking of adding NOS to my 2013. Some questions I have:

1. I was told to go with a dry kit as it's the simplest. Any input?
2. If I were to add a NOS kit, would I need to retune the car using a tuner i.e. Bama tuner perhaps? I would rather not have to do this because I really like using my track key and having the lopey idle and all the track key features.

Not going to load up on questions because these were the main ones I had. Thanks!

In addition, I thought I would call the place I got my car lowered and ask what a NOS setup would be with labor and they quoted me somewhere in the neighborhood of $7000-8000K. I almost fell off my chair. This can't be right. I'm certainly not going to do this by myself and if that's what most shops are charging then f$#k it....I'll just get a super charger installed.

BLAZN BOSS

I am conteplating the same. But I am get a wet system, you can tap off of the fuel rail.........150HP system max. You won't be able to use track key while using nitrous, the ignition timing should be retarded for nitrous and I believe that track key bumps it up. Wt systems are better because the worse thing you can do is run lean on Nitrous. Its oxygen and if there isnt enough gas to burn thats the beginning of the end. I've used it on my 68 mustang without any problems at all and it was the 250 HP NOS version. I know what i need to know about old cars but I'm currious how the catalytic converters will take it. I have a feeling that system you were quoted was the direct port inject system. I know there is a make that goes between the throttle body and intake. $ 2500.00 should do you........a supercharger will run you 6000 or more.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Are you trying to go with a NOS kit? Nos is a brand....

Ok dry kits are the easiest route plumbing wise. You will need a tune no way around it. Wet kits technically don't need a tune but they are highly recommended.

JMS seems to have the best kit out there for the 11+ mustangs. Yes it costs a lot more but it is the most complete kit comes with a tuner and tunes.

Stay away from Bama...they suck.

P.S. nitrous back fires plus plastic intakes = destroyed intake

I have ran nitrous in the past on a previous mustang and from my experience you are better off saving for a supercharger or turbo. To do a legit nitrous kit will cost you around 2k to get it right with bottle heaters and purge kits etc. and the cost of filling a bottle at 5 bucks a pound and only getting 3-4 runs out of a 10lbs bottle gets expensive and becomes a pain be a slave to filling that bottle. Then you will be a frequent buyer of plugs...at over 100 to change plugs it adds up quickly

But if you want to do it I can tell you how I would do it and what parts I would select.

Nitrous is the gift that keeps on giving, it is poor mans supercharging. It is a way to stuff more fuel and air in to the motor, simple idea. Disaster if you do it wrong. Run outa Nitrous, motor bogs, no big deal. Run outa fuel, motor says good bye and books a flight to another country.

Supercharge, you will be happier, once it's installed you don't have to keep buying bottles of Nitrous to be able to use it. $50.00 a bottle adds up very fast.

Talk to Lethal performance, they put a Boss in the 10's with it.

Edited so Justin doesn't have a stroke.

Justin

NOS IS A BRAND..................

Call it nitrous and stop sounding like a 16 year old that just watched fast and furious for the first time please!!!!!!!!

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
I wonder about our rods holding up to the "Hit" from nitrous? Justin can probably elaborate on this more with his experience. But...my 2011 Powerstroke has Mahle rods that use the same manufacturing process. Guys have been bending them as a result of a big tune alone.....that greatly increases the torque and horsepower lower down the rpm range. The current theory is it's the result of a sudden "Hit" of substantial torque. The solution, at the present time, is to swap in some real forged rods....$3500 just for the rods. My concern with the nitrous....would it mimic the same sudden "Hit" of power the powerstrokes are experiencing?

My thought...a turbo or centrifugal S/C would, in effect, ramp up rather than "Hit" like an on/off switch. Might be a little easier on the motor etc....as the power builds?

In any event...I'm sure the rewards can be great. I've run propane, as one of my power adders, on another diesel. Works wonderfully.....but if things aren't set up just right.

Wayne

BLAZN BOSS

Senderofan said:
I wonder about our rods holding up to the "Hit" from nitrous? Justin can probably elaborate on this more with his experience. But...my 2011 Powerstroke has Mahle rods that use the same manufacturing process. Guys have been bending them as a result of a big tune alone.....that greatly increases the torque and horsepower lower down the rpm range. The current theory is it's the result of a sudden "Hit" of substantial torque. The solution, at the present time, is to swap in some real forged rods....$3500 just for the rods. My concern with the nitrous....would it mimic the same sudden "Hit" of power the powerstrokes are experiencing?

My thought...a turbo or centrifugal S/C would, in effect, ramp up rather than "Hit" like an on/off switch. Might be a little easier on the motor etc....as the power builds?

In any event...I'm sure the rewards can be great. I've run propane, as one of my power adders, on another diesel. Works wonderfully.....but if things aren't set up just right.

Wayne

The rods in these motors will hold up fine, I ran the 250 NOS system on my 289 and those rods held up to the nitrous and shifting in the 8500 + range, the Boss 302 rods abetter than them. NEVER had problems ever, the number one problem is usually lean conditions which cause the backfire, I ran fatter gas orfices than I was supposed to to make sure, NEVER was a slave to spark plug changes. I left on the transbrake at 4500 and as soon as I let go the trans brake button I was on the nitorous untill the end of the quarter mile. A small wet system is nothing to be afraid of.

Justin said:

Call it nitrous and stop sounding like a 16 year old that just watched fast and furious for the first time please!!!!!!!!

Mmmmhmmm Short for Nitrous oxide system and has been since before you were born, I care less about they call it in Hollywood.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=RI8GIZlq0jsI_M&tbnid=ol-j4qwJ5-VLUM:&ved=0CAgQjRwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.holley.com%2F14730NOS.asp&ei=EDcUUvu5GaewjALvroDYAg&psig=AFQjCNEDTSrKR11TCoio2Uo1PuRb5ZOPUA&ust=1377142928464243

Justin

NewBossowner said:
Mmmmhmmm Short for Nitrous oxide system and has been since before you were born, I care less about they call it in Hollywood.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=RI8GIZlq0jsI_M&tbnid=ol-j4qwJ5-VLUM:&ved=0CAgQjRwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.holley.com%2F14730NOS.asp&ei=EDcUUvu5GaewjALvroDYAg&psig=AFQjCNEDTSrKR11TCoio2Uo1PuRb5ZOPUA&ust=1377142928464243
I know what NOS stands for.....but it hasnt been being used as that in sentences....but use it how ever you want when I see someone use it in place of saying nitrous I throw everything they say out the window.

Whats the link to a five lbs NOS brand nitrous bottle for?

Justin

Senderofan said:

Wayne
rods dont cost that much. perhaps you are talking about a built short block. here is a link to a piston rod combo
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/products/Livernois-Motorsports-5.0L-Modular-Forged-Piston%7B47%7D-H%252dBeam-Rod-Combination.html

If an engine isnt tuned right regardless if you have a power adder or not it can and will destroy itself doesnt matter if you have a built bottom end or not.

The rods and pistons in the boss are stronger then the GT's and if tuned safely can take a 125 shot all day long from the research I have done.

Justin

if I were to do it this is the kit I would use

http://www.jmschip.com/jms-dry-nitrous-kit-stage-2-2011-5-0l-4v-mustang

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5LZV-g2wiQ0#t=80[/youtube]

along with this to get the most out of a bottle and get consistent times.

http://www.jegs.com/i/NANO-Nitrous/396/0130110/10002/-1?parentProductId=1641612

as you can see already up to 2400 and havent even filled the bottle yet.

I would much rather spend 5300 on a supercharger kit like this one
http://www.teambeefcakeracing.com/bfckepaxton.html

Justin said:

Hello omniscient King Justin: You completely misunderstood me. I was talking about the energy drink NOS. I heard if you drink some before you ride, it will make you less of an arrogant know-it-all board troll who paroozes threads to add their insignificance only to say "I told ya so." And for what purpose may I ask? You can find NOS at your local convenient store - you should stock up! To all the others who kept it germane to the issue, I appreciate your responses. I apologize in advance for any disrespect to the board, it's members and this topic for going off on a tangent. Btw....does anyone have a Kleenex? I have a stuffy nose. Oh I'm sorry....I meant tissue.

Justin

yankeehick said:
Hello omniscient King Justin: You completely misunderstood me. I was talking about the energy drink NOS. I heard if you drink some before you ride, it will make you less of an arrogant know-it-all board troll who paroozes threads to add their insignificance only to say "I told ya so." And for what purpose may I ask? You can find NOS at your local convenient store - you should stock up! To all the others who kept it germane to the issue, I appreciate your responses. I apologize in advance for any disrespect to the board, it's members and this topic for going off on a tangent. Btw....does anyone have a Kleenex? I have a stuffy nose. Oh I'm sorry....I meant tissue.
I see you only took the time to read the one reply not the other replies where I tell you what you were looking for....

Justin

yankeehick said:
In addition, I thought I would call the place I got my car lowered and ask what a NOS setup would be with labor and they quoted me somewhere in the neighborhood of $7000-8000K. I almost fell off my chair. This can't be right. I'm certainly not going to do this by myself and if that's what most shops are charging then f$#k it....I'll just get a super charger installed.
the quote you got is way way off. I wouldnt pay anymore then 3-4hours labor rate plus the price of the kit. a competent shop should be able to knock out a simple wet or dry kit in that time frame

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
Justin said:
rods dont cost that much. perhaps you are talking about a built short block. here is a link to a piston rod combo
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/products/Livernois-Motorsports-5.0L-Modular-Forged-Piston%7B47%7D-H%252dBeam-Rod-Combination.html

If an engine isnt tuned right regardless if you have a power adder or not it can and will destroy itself doesnt matter if you have a built bottom end or not.

The rods and pistons in the boss are stronger then the GT's and if tuned safely can take a 125 shot all day long from the research I have done.

Yeah...I figured rods for the 5.0 would be significantly less. But decent ones to fix the powder forged ones in the Scorpion run $3500. I was just thinking out loud....that perhaps beefier rods might need to be a consideration if looking to flog the motor with giggle gas. My thinking is probably flawed......but I'm thinking that the nitrous is either on or off? So.....a turbo or centri s/c .....with their ramping effect of power production...... Might be easier on the rods if the boost is kept reasonable and beat mitigation is addressed.

Justin

Senderofan said:
Yeah...I figured rods for the 5.0 would be significantly less. But decent ones to fix the powder forged ones in the Scorpion run $3500. I was just thinking out loud....that perhaps beefier rods might need to be a consideration if looking to flog the motor with giggle gas. My thinking is probably flawed......but I'm thinking that the nitrous is either on or off? So.....a turbo or centri s/c .....with their ramping effect of power production...... Might be easier on the rods if the boost is kept reasonable and beat mitigation is addressed.
the jms kit comes with a progressive controller and it ramps up the nitrous over time.

http://www.jmschip.com/jms-progressive-nitrous-controller/

TMO Supporting Vendors