The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Odd Rear Pad Wear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have four events on these carbotech XP8 pads. I have a GT but have used the eBay bracket to allow me to put the gt500 rear disk on. The drivers side has a lot of angular wear and the passenger side has some. Anyone have any thoughts? Is this something to do with the bracket or nature of having a single piston caliper. I'm coming up on a year of doing HPDE now and each time have been running harder so I certainly will start using my consumables more now.

Thanks for your thoughts.

e625f03b2475bd3013bb9a952cb74ac8.jpg left is driver side

59b1e3244e3101adc14fa0896047021a.jpg driver side

ecd5e3199ce0f8d874573674bc4a6789.jpg passenger side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rotor looks completely normal. Now that I think about it one odd thing was that when I placed my street pads on past time the contact patch on the drivers side was smaller. Meaning the new street pad was contacting less of the rotor which makes sense since the other one wore at an angle. I don't think the pad could have been cocked and still be able to close place the caliper over the bracket and not have any other issues.

If the holes were not properly aligned would the whole assembly seat?

Interesting so consensus seems it may have been me. I'm just struggling figure out how the caliper could seat the whole way with the pad not on right. Either way I put my street pads on and will buy a new set of track pads for my next event. Anyone running the carbotech xp10/xp8 combo? I have the six Pistons in the front and have noticed a ton more dust in the back when I street with the track pads. Maybe because the smaller pad is working harder? Either way I run mpss tires and am wondering about going to either xp10 front and rear or 12 front and 10 rear. Any thoughts?

k98dave said:
Question, are the street pads worn the same way as the race pads?

The street pads don't have a ton of time on them but zero sign of uneven wear653dd4aeb0d54efc2af3f1a68b7d3c0f.jpg

Here's a shot of the side that wore unevenly

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
jpt3 said:
Interesting so consensus seems it may have been me. I'm just struggling figure out how the caliper could seat the whole way with the pad not on right. Either way I put my street pads on and will buy a new set of track pads for my next event. Anyone running the carbotech xp10/xp8 combo? I have the six Pistons in the front and have noticed a ton more dust in the back when I street with the track pads. Maybe because the smaller pad is working harder? Either way I run mpss tires and am wondering about going to either xp10 front and rear or 12 front and 10 rear. Any thoughts?

I've seen it on the OEM fronts on my '00 GT with the factory install after about 40k miles. So it may not be you. Could be something like variation within the pad material too. I just remembered my sliders needing a lot of lube last time I had my rear brakes apart.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I had the same results when I went to the 302r brake module. Rear pads wore on an angle, just like yours.

I swapped inside and outside pads to get allitional miles from set.

I was well aware of the issues involving then pin on the pads and the notches on the Pistons. All seated correctly.

The rear caliper with the single piston elands itself to odd pad wear.

I have changes to a harder pad.

If you compress the caliper enough, there is plenty of room to get both pads in there and misalign them. Ask me how I know :eek:

If it were a sticking slider I would think the wear pattern would be orthagonal to your wear pattern, side to side, not top to bottom.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Make sure the slider pins are lubed. Also check to see if the "corner" of the caliper bridge to the outside of the car looks like it has been overheated--if you put too much heat into the rears you can bend the bridge causing face taper wear--but I would expect it to be the other direction (thinner at top of pad).

TMO Supporting Vendors