The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil filter: Motorcraft FL-500S or FL-820S?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
cosm3os said:
Alright, in doing very little track now (but not zero), will be driving in cold weather, changing every 5k. Which filter for my gt/tp?

In this case, might as well use the 500. No real need for extra oil or filtering capacity when it's cold out.

Given the choice, I would always choose the 820. It will flow better and hold more contaminants throughout it's life. Given most of our short change intervals though, it really doesn't matter and the 500 will do the intended job.

I've had to switch back to the 500 on my GT since the 820 doesn't fit with the Boss cooler plus the Moroso sandwich adapter stacked.

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
FL-820S is the oil filter Ford's been using for 4.6L V8 Mustang GT.
FL-500S is the oil filter for the 5.0L V8 Mustang GT engine (as well as the 3.5L V6 and others).
FL-820 is the Ford Racing version of the filter that's been out for quite some time for performance applications.

I'm using the FL-500S in my Ecoboost F150 and Explorer Sport (both have the 3.5L TT V6). My Shelby GT came with the FL-820S stock, but now I'm using the FL-820 in it and my BOSS.

Grant 302 said:
I use the Ford Racing FL820 (not the same as the 820S)

Ford Racing CM-6731-FL820 Oil Filter
Measurements

* Filter Weight - 19.75 oz
* Can OD - 3.68" / Seam OD - 3.76"
* Overall Height - 3.99"
* Can Material - 0.019" thick steel
* Filter Element OD - 3.44" (at element)
* Filter Element Height - 2.81"
* Media - Cellulose - Synthetic Mix? Oiled? (appears orange)
* Number of pleats - 63 + 1 joint
* Depth of pleats - 0.73"
* Media length (unrolled) - 100" (seam crimped)
* Media width (glue not included) - 2.50"
* Media thickness - 0.029"
* Total media surface area - 250 sq. in.
* Total media volume - 7.25 cu. in.
* Inner Filter Support Material - 0.010" Thick Perforated Steel
* Inner Filter Support OD - 1.71"
* Indentifying marks
Can - 810050516 / Made in USA
Bar Code - 7_56122_07567_8
Label - 6945234
Base - 22 / MM
* Gasket Retention - Multiple Crimps
* Thread - M22-1.5
* Relief Valve Location - base end
* ADBV Material - Silicon

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I like both Wix and Baldwin filters, using WIX black can filter now. Also WIX is specified in some Ford Racing applications. Both good filters, but I like the size of the 820S, so I'll try this filter next.

even though the installed filter position is horizontal, I still fill it with oil to pre-lube the filter, and I don't loose to much oil. Maybe not necessary to some, but I feel better when I first turn the ignition key to start after changing the oil & filter.

Good info, and thanks,
302 Hi Pro

Where do you guys purchase your FR FL-820 filters from?
Trying to fund the best deal. Last I checked vendors were not giving discount on bulk purchases on these.

302 Hi Pro said:
I like both Wix and Baldwin filters, using WIX black can filter now. Also WIX is specified in some Ford Racing applications. Both good filters, but I like the size of the 820S, so I'll try this filter next.

even though the installed filter position is horizontal, I still fill it with oil to pre-lube the filter, and I don't loose to much oil. Maybe not necessary to some, but I fell better when I first turn the ignition key to start after changing the oil & filter.

Good info, and thanks,
302 Hi Pro

Also remember you can hold the gas all the way down and crank to get oil moving around without actually starting. I am not sure how long you would have to crank to get fresh oil everywhere it needs to be prior to starting, though.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I have been running the 500S since I bought the car. I change the oil about every 3 track days with maybe a little bit of weekend driving in-between. I have never had any issues but now I am reading about the 820S? If I had an issue with the engine would the warranty be compromised running the 820S?

WinterSucks said:
Also remember you can hold the gas all the way down and crank to get oil moving around without actually starting. I am not sure how long you would have to crank to get fresh oil everywhere it needs to be prior to starting, though.

Is that with all Mustangs, Fords, Boss ? This is relevant to my interests.

LP Heaven said:
Is that with all Mustangs, Fords, Boss ? This is relevant to my interests.

Should be relevant with any car that has the fly-by-wire gas pedal since it's really just the ECU trying to keep you from flooding the engine on startup. As long as that car manufacturer is smart enough to think of it.... I will try it in my Focus if I can remember this afternoon. You would have to look through some other Forums to see if anyone knows that model/year has the feature.

Just did my first DIY oil change on my GT/TP. The filter on it is a 500S. I bought an 820 and it's much bigger around than the 500. I didn't pull the 500 off to compare the size of the Orings. Sure this one will work?!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I used the Ford Racing 820 on top of the Boss cooler for two changes until I put the sandwich plate on for the oil to air cooler. Now only the 500S fits. :(

TMO Supporting Vendors