The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

One Piece Driveshaft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Been thinking about upgrading to a one piece driveshaft, but keep hearing about balancing issues.

Not the shaft itself, but w the cars diff either not being centered, or the pinion angle not being right.

Talk of lowering the engine to help and/or adjusting/shifting the rear diff.

Both sound pretty involved and hard to tell if you are really getting it straight without a lot of different measuring...and on a lift.

Any thoughts on this?

Those that had the '03/'04 Cobras w IRS was this an issue back then also?

Not looking to add more work just to install a lighter driveshaft. :(

Thanks for the input.

I think most of the replies Ive seen have been w aluminum shafts, but dont know if that makes a difference.

With what I do and going to the track 3 times a year I cant justify the extra cost of the CF.

Now if my Shelby sells I may just justify it. LOL

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
In a S550 application I cannot see an issue with a one piece carbon driveshaft unless Ford has intentionally for packaging reasons set the transmission output flange and the pinion angle way out of phase. In an IRS car there is little to no movement of either the trans or diff, unlike a solid rear axle car that articulates in multiple directions. If the one piece has a CV joint on it like Drive Shaft Shop pieces, then so much the better. I have had DSS aluminum and now CF shafts on my S197 since 2011 with no issues.
Steve

voodoo child21 said:
In a S550 application I cannot see an issue with a one piece carbon driveshaft unless Ford has intentionally for packaging reasons set the transmission output flange and the pinion angle way out of phase. In an IRS car there is little to no movement of either the trans or diff, unlike a solid rear axle car that articulates in multiple directions. If the one piece has a CV joint on it like Drive Shaft Shop pieces, then so much the better. I have had DSS aluminum and now CF shafts on my S197 since 2011 with no issues.
Steve
Good info right there. A CF DS is about the only mod I have planned for my GT350 this year.

The Terminator had a one piece aluminum DS.
I put a DSS aluminum in my 12 Boss and it made a huge difference.
It made the entire car much more smooth.
It baffles me why they use a two piece on the GT350(bean counters I suppose).

voodoo child21 said:
Steve

This was my thought, but looking on different forums and watching sales adds...I'm seeing some very upset people who bought a one piece for their S550 and had bad results and/or have them for resale.

This concerns me :(

To me...with little to no trans and diff movement (like a solid axle car) there should be less issue?

I spoke with DSS last week on the one piece DS for the GT350. All produced for the GT350 have the foam core for harmonics as well. It is certainly on my list as 9-12lbs as I recall of rotational mass lost is noticeable as it was in my GT500.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel