The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Paint bubble on brand new SBY Boss

I picked up my brand new 2013 SBY Boss on June 11th. Yesterday while I was wiping the car down, I noticed a small paint bubble on the hood. Its really tiny, like if you were trying to poke a pin head thru. But too me it is noticeable and I know how those bubble have a tendency to worsen over time. My question is has this happened to anyone on here? If so what was the remedy? Does Ford cover this and if so what will they do to remedy it? I'm thinking of calling the dealer and letting them know. If it was a $13000 Fiesta I really wouldn't care, but its a 50k car.
 
Had it happen on my '11GT. Ford fixed it under warranty. It was my roof, though. They didnt want to at first, but it continually grew worse and finally they couldnt avoid it or say its not noticeable. Definitely take it in and see what they say.
 
Call Ford customer care, I told them about the black spots in my paint and they immediately said it would be covered and even set up an appointment to have it done at the local dealer for me. However, as with any respray, make sure it is done by a quality shop. The local dealer outsources it to a body shop, find out which if they do that and see if they are good. Chances are it will be fine, but also do a very thorough inspection when you pick it up to make sure it matches. BMW resprayed the hood on my friend's car and he didn't realize it was oranger than the rest of the car until we started teasing him about it.
 
Thanks for the info. I called the dealer and they are going to take care of it they said. I would think a respray would be a PITA with those decals! This dealership has its own body shop on premises so in assuming they will be doing the work.
 
I have a 2013 with paint bleminh on the roof. The dealer is fixing it this Monday. I was told Ford gave a 1 year waarnty on paint. Call your dealer before you call Ford. Give him a chanco to make it right.
 
cbj5259 said:
I picked up my brand new 2013 SBY Boss on June 11th. Yesterday while I was wiping the car down, I noticed a small paint bubble on the hood. Its really tiny, like if you were trying to poke a pin head thru. But too me it is noticeable and I know how those bubble have a tendency to worsen over time. My question is has this happened to anyone on here? If so what was the remedy? Does Ford cover this and if so what will they do to remedy it? I'm thinking of calling the dealer and letting them know. If it was a $13000 Fiesta I really wouldn't care, but its a 50k car.

I found a few small issues and decided against touching them.

My reasons:

1. I'm going to get nicks and chips anyway so what's the BIG deal
2. I have Grabber Blue and there is no way I am going to have color matching issues due to some small imperfection
3. No one, in 3 months, and 7 car shows, has ever noticed. It would KILL me if people were asking me, "when was the accident" due to a poor paint match.
4. These stripes are a PITA to install. You fix the pin head paint bubble and trade for a bunch of stripe bubbles. Yeah, yeah...you can keep sending it back to the shop but really is all the aggravation worth it?

Finally I asked myself, when I get the first road chip in the front facia am I going to bring it in and get repainted? NO! Then fine end of story.

In this case I THINK the cure is potentially worse than the disease.

BTW: the bubble you have can be lightly buffed down to something you won't be able to notice by a good paint shop. But once the dealer partially paints the hood you will never get that factory match again. IMHO!

Good luck!
 
I believe that I would leave it the way it is also. I have overspray from the roof on both fenders under the clearcoat that is barely noticeable. I think that I am the only one that would ever notice and I would rather live with a slight factory imperfection than deal with a messed up dealer attempt to get it right. Just my 2 cents.
 
1,255
0
GA
I've had other Mustang paint jobs with defects like that. That's what the warranty is for. The YB was the first paint job that was pretty much perfect. The tri-coat probably required a lot more attention by skilled individuals.
 
My 2013 SBY is still just a row in a database somewhwere, so it is for the moment perfect. Don't know how I'll react when I get hands on the real thing. This discussion calls to mind others on concourse restorations where people spend thousands of $$$ trying get just the right amount of factory correct overspray and paint quality. Us car guys are a strange bunch.
 
If it was a paint fleck in the clear coat or something like that I would overlook it. But bubbles worry me for a multitude of reasons. If its in the clear then a buff job will suffice but its showing a very tiny crack in the paint on the tip of the bubble and all can think of is rust. I have had this on past cars an over the course of a few years it always seems to get worse. I'm gonna see what they say but I want it fixed one way it the other. Coincidentally I did find a small paint speck on the door that I'm not even going to bother fixing because its just not worth it. Bubbles are a different story though...
 
cbj5259 said:
If it was a paint fleck in the clear coat or something like that I would overlook it. But bubbles worry me for a multitude of reasons. If its in the clear then a buff job will suffice but its showing a very tiny crack in the paint on the tip of the bubble and all can think of is rust. I have had this on past cars an over the course of a few years it always seems to get worse. I'm gonna see what they say but I want it fixed one way it the other. Coincidentally I did find a small paint speck on the door that I'm not even going to bother fixing because its just not worth it. Bubbles are a different story though...

The hood is aluminum. No rust.

I had a bubble on my 2007 Shelby's hood, and as I said I had a paint show buff it down. Here we are in 2012 and no issues.
 
JeffIsHereToo said:
cbj5259 said:
If it was a paint fleck in the clear coat or something like that I would overlook it. But bubbles worry me for a multitude of reasons. If its in the clear then a buff job will suffice but its showing a very tiny crack in the paint on the tip of the bubble and all can think of is rust. I have had this on past cars an over the course of a few years it always seems to get worse. I'm gonna see what they say but I want it fixed one way it the other. Coincidentally I did find a small paint speck on the door that I'm not even going to bother fixing because its just not worth it. Bubbles are a different story though...

The hood is aluminum. No rust.

I had a bubble on my 2007 Shelby's hood, and as I said I had a paint show buff it down. Here we are in 2012 and no issues.

Good point. Well they are going to look at it this week. I would prefer a buff job over a respray so hopefully that will work.
 
So...I took the Boss over to the dealership body shop today and the manager of the shop looked at the blemish in the paint. Its actually a piece of dirt and not a bubble. He said he doesn't believe there is any air in or under it. After much thought I think I'm going to leave it alone. We talked to Ford customer care while I was there and they said because it was brought to their attention, they will warranty my paint for a full 3 years (which I think they do anyway) . The recommendation was just to leave it alone at this point since its hardly noticeable. If it becomes worse or more noticeable they will do a respray. They even told me they would respray the whole car if the paint was not a perfect match. The body shop manager said that even though they will do the best job they can, there is no substitute for the factory paint. So I'm just going to leave it be at this point. Most people I show it to can not even see it...so I'm just being anal I guess.
 
I feel your pain but I think at this point you're making the right choice. Also keep in mind even if they restarted the entire car they can't be 100% sure it won't also have ome similar imperfection! Rinse and repeat!

Good luck and I'll keep my fingers cross for both f us!

;-)
 
Thanks man. Yeah I think its the right decision. I have even pointed it out to a few people and they told me they couldn't see it even then... so its just me I guess...lol.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top