The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Post your tow strap/hook setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Colorado Springs
Got a tow strap and I'm not sure where best to install it. I see on this forum there's a lot of guesses and hypotheticals thrown out there, but I want to see ACTUAL pics and info of your tow setup on your track mustang. Ideally want to see setups that have no drilling or custom fabrication required.

IMG_3983.jpg

Got a tow strap and I'm not sure where best to install it. I see on this forum there's a lot of guesses and hypotheticals thrown out there, but I want to see ACTUAL pics and info of your tow setup on your track mustang. Ideally want to see setups that have no drilling or custom fabrication required.

View attachment 88596
ZL-1 bolts in. Pull bumper cover ( not as bad as you think) and bolt in. Maybe you can use the same bolt. You could probably check without removing anything.
KIMG4185.JPG

Unless you can find the Ford Performance bracket, or similar ( it wraps around the bumper support) the one Kazar suggested is probably the way to go. I have a strap type on mine, and pulling that at 90 degrees is a no no. I had to weld in a bracket to the bumper utilizing a grade 8 bolt so it would pull straight out. It was a PITA, and I would avoid that at all costs. The strap also has the potential to come out and beat up the paint work unless it is zip tied or velcro'd down. The solid bracket is the way to go IMO

20220531_162251.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD

View attachment 88596
Vorshlag has a no drill option but you will just have to slot the front bumper. Or ZL1 like mentioned above. Or Raceseng (similar mounting to ZL1) if you want to splurge.

I'm quite curious what about my original post gave you the idea that I thought it would be difficult to pull the bumper cover.
I saw the pic. Are you doing all of your own work IDK. I wasn't saying you would think it would be hard. If you don't think it's hard that's great. I put stuff like that for anyone that might read. There may be a guy out there that might be nervous to tackle a job like that from being unsure. I never did anything with cars other than change the oil until my mustang. Dont know why just didn't. Now I try to do everything I can. Just putting a little reassurance out there for someone.

Last edited:

Bugs

Jim. Avocation: Avoiding Blunt-Force Trauma.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Eagle ID
ZL1 Front and Rear. Needed to open a hole in the grill and the rear fascia.
20190727_211718.jpg20200128_200544.jpg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Colorado Springs
Sorry guys, just to rub it in, if you had an export model, just pop the bumper plug and screw in the factory tow hook from the tool kit. So simple for basic track days.
We had to have one win, you guys get all the other good stuff cheap.

View attachment 88649

View attachment 88648

Couldn't I theoretically order that bumper reinforcement bar from Australia and swap it in? I don't see any up on AU eBay, but I'm sure they're somewhere?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Melbourne Australia
I put in my VIN 2017 GT and came up with this, same part number but way different picture and price, apparently one in stock.
Just noticed, different web site. But more accurate picture.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Melbourne Australia
Actually, I have the screw in tow hook from the factory. It’s a bit ugly so I went with the ZL1 Add On product.

View attachment 88650

View attachment 88652

View attachment 88653

View attachment 88654
Didn't realise the US spec cars had the bumper tow point. Do you happen to remember the details for your tow hook regards thread and options? I'll have a look at their web site. Agree the factory one is pretty agricultural, quick coat of red made it presentable and hopefully remind me not to smack my shins on it.

I think they are out of business
Mostly, yes. They still make the MT82 shifter support bracket in addition to selling some NOS items from previous production runs. They can be found as user mustang-madness on eBay. As far as the topic of this thread, though, their tow hook set ups are probably knocked off the list as a contender unless you can find one second-hand.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Couldn't I theoretically order that bumper reinforcement bar from Australia and swap it in? I don't see any up on AU eBay, but I'm sure they're somewhere?
I was thinking about going this route years ago but you would need a new bumper cover with a tow hook hole. Wasn’t worth the $800+ for tow hook in my opinion.

crash bar
Bumper cover
Paint

TMO Supporting Vendors