The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Recaros - How to make them last?

First post fellas, thanks for having the forum. :) Race Red #722 from Texas -

I bought this car with the intention of keeping it "forever" and handing it down to my 1 1/2 year old son someday. I am concerned that the Recaros (love them!) just aren't going to last with them being cloth/suede. I'm 6' 1", 225 and sliding in and out of the car is just going to wear them out. Anyone else concerned with this? I guess the same could be said of the steering wheel.

Wondering if anyone has a strategy yet on how to preserve the seats/wheel to last for years and years, or if anyone knows of seat covers that will fit these seats. Looking for ideas. :)

Thanks all!
 
Diesel welcome to BMO. I'm of similar size and have the same concern. I originally tried sliding the seat back before I got out but that's a big hassle. I've seen pieces that attach to the side bolsters but none specific for the Boss (or GT500 with Recaro option). Looks like a nice opportunity for someone to make some money. Hmmm...
 
I'm a wide bottom so I have considered non-Recaro cars in my search. I'm afraid my fat butt might hurt them more than standard seats.
 
5 DOT 0 said:
Diesel welcome to BMO. I'm of similar size and have the same concern. I originally tried sliding the seat back before I got out but that's a big hassle. I've seen pieces that attach to the side bolsters but none specific for the Boss (or GT500 with Recaro option). Looks like a nice opportunity for someone to make some money. Hmmm...
Sliding the seat back is a hassle, but I learned to put up with it right after I got my S2000 and it was out of necessity because I like to be closer to the wheel. You would be surprised how much a difference it makes on those side bolsters.
 
One thing I've noticed about the pants/shorts that have velcro closures for the pockets....make sure no velcro is exposed on ;) your back pockets when you sit in your cloth seats or the exposed velcro will tear them up.
 

BLAZN BOSS

Don't know if this helps, when I worked at the ford dealer where I live I bought a new 1979 f-150 4x4.......after a six inch lift kit and 38" tires sliding in and out was the only option. So I ordered the seat upholstery from ford.........packed it away for "one day"....although i didnt use it i gave to the guy who bought the truck from me. I plan on ordering the seat unpholstery for my boss (when it gets here) so when it gets to be really worn I can put it on and it will look new again.........normal cars ford must have soft parts for 10 years..........not sure about specialties cars.
 
BLAZN BOSS said:
Don't know if this helps, when I worked at the ford dealer where I live I bought a new 1979 f-150 4x4.......after a six inch lift kit and 38" tires sliding in and out was the only option. So I ordered the seat upholstery from ford.........packed it away for "one day"....although i didnt use it i gave to the guy who bought the truck from me. I plan on ordering the seat unpholstery for my boss (when it gets here) so when it gets to be really worn I can put it on and it will look new again.........normal cars ford must have soft parts for 10 years..........not sure about specialties cars.
I was thinking about doing the same thing.
 
Warranty should cover the first few years. Put a reminder on your calendar just before the 3 year mark and if they are looking bad you may be able to get Ford to replace them. I have never done it with Ford, but had Chevy replace leather seats for me, worn from sliding in and out - no questions asked.
Correct me if I am wrong, but AFAIK the dealer gets paid from the manufacturer, so they are pulling for you to get the job done if they can.
 
It's going to be interesting to see how much wear accumulates after 2 years especially if we can compare drivers who reset their seat position to exit (like I do) and those who don't.

Hey, Rick, you seem a lot more mellow now compared to oh, I don't know, a month ago! ;)
 
I've been thinking about just getting another pair of racing seats and storing the recarros. Lots out there that will color match, leather covered and 5 point harness ready. not that much different in price to just new covers from Ford
 

BLAZN BOSS

Not sure about now , but in 1998 the SOP for ford was to have seat covers pulled and repaired not replaced under waranty............just sayin'
 
I would think warranty wouldn't cover "normal wear and tear". I would also think sliding in and out of the car for the length of the warranty period and slowly wearing out the seats would be "normal wear and tear". I like the idea of getting a second set of the seat covers and stashing them away. Haven't priced them out yet, but like that better than getting a different set of seats if the price is about the same. I like the Boss seats, and like that they say "Boss 302" on them - want to keep the car intact. It's a conundrum - I understand why Ford gave us these seats, and knew what I was getting with the Boss. Just want the things to last. Maybe it is like 5 DOT 0 said - maybe there is a business opportunity here...

Thanks for all of the replies fellas :)

KG
 
STIG302 said:
It's going to be interesting to see how much wear accumulates after 2 years especially if we can compare drivers who reset their seat position to exit (like I do) and those who don't.

Hey, Rick, you seem a lot more mellow now compared to oh, I don't know, a month ago! ;)
Haha , yep! Not sure how moving my seat back one click is going to help any. I'll but a set of replacements in a year or two and save them for later.
 
5 DOT 0 said:
I'll but a set of replacements in a year or two and save them for later.

I'll burn that bridge when I get to it. IMHO they will last for a while, you will still be able to get a replacement 10 years from now. 40 years is a different story but to get them when the seat is fine is a waste, besides they are not all that easy to replace (do-it you self style) with the airbags from what I hear.
 
27
0
boss2012 said:
I've been thinking about just getting another pair of racing seats and storing the recarros. Lots out there that will color match, leather covered and 5 point harness ready. not that much different in price to just new covers from Ford

I've had the same thought, also because I find the recaros don't give 100% support on track days.
Have you found any matching racing seats that you can recommend?
 
boss2012 said:
I've been thinking about just getting another pair of racing seats and storing the recarros. Lots out there that will color match, leather covered and 5 point harness ready. not that much different in price to just new covers from Ford
Do any of these seats have air bags in them? That's a big problem if you are going to drive your car on the street.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top