The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Best way to make the Phoenix Rise Again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cantley
2019 base GT with small handling mods. I was T-boned by a drunk on my way to an event (no one injured).
My car is totaled, drivetrain is fine.
My question is:
"What's the best way to go about getting back to the track?"
1- get a similar car and put my mods back on.
2- get the cheapest 2018+ ecoboost I can find, buy back my scrap GT, and swap the drivetrain + BBK into the ecoboost. I would get a shop to do that.
3-pay more and get a base 2024 GT and sort out the brakes, wheels and suspension.
4- something else?

I don't know if #2 is a viable solution or whether savings vs #1 would be negligible.

Is this a track rat only or is this going to be a car where registration and insurance and resale value will all need to be factored in?

#1 and #3 are the easiest for sure
#2 has the potential to be cheaper, but may actually cost more if you truly assign a dollar value to the amount of time you have to put into it and you will run into some issues with resale and insurance if another incident happens down the road
#4 - buying a blown engine car and swapping parts over may be possible, but it's time intensive and may be more expensive than #1 and #3 as you'd have to have the space and time to sell off your old parts from your old shell that you didn't need in order to recoup some costs.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cantley
Is this a track rat only or is this going to be a car where registration and insurance and resale value will all need to be factored in?

It will be the same as my car that was wrecked: a car mostly used for lapping and AX, with the occasional street mileage. A car that drives to and from events and is reliable.
Thanks for taking the time to answer me. In light of your and Mad Hatter's answers I now see that finding a replacement S550 or a new S650 is my best course of action.
Thanks!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
We bought back our Focus RS for almost nothing, $1900. Insurance valued car at $38.5.

Look into the option RES-22 mentioned.

Bill bought the Mach 1 from George at MGW. The car has to be sorted after those two attention to detail guys had their hands on it!! It’s a track pac manual, hard to find.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I went with #2, ended up with a GT only because I was thinking that I'd be able to part much of it and get to about the same point, plus I wasn't so sure of my driveline parts, and having spares is kinda nice. Given that your driveline is fine, definitely go the cheapest eco or v6 you can get your hands on.

I had also done #1 the first time around, taking my mostly stock base 19GT parts off and putting them onto a salvaged base 18GT. It's so much easier working on a car that you don't need to get you to work, and knowing that the car is already paid for and not worth that much makes you feel a lot better when you're going to places that aren't within your skill or comfort zone. I mean what's the worst that'll happen? You break it and it still doesn't work? :D

#1 and #2 are both are good choices, just have to do your research of what's available, and play some games of fees, taxes, shipping costs, etc. Another thing to factor in that for you is somewhat preventative is #2 you're going to pay labor, which could be $100-150/hr. If you have the space, time to start seeing who lives nearby and likes beer and pizza, and bring in the pros for the big stuff, or definitely the safety stuff.

Last edited:
Having to pay someone to do the labor is definately going to severely impact your bottom line.
Since the wrecked car does not have a lot of mods on it, is it really worth buying back?
I still think the S197 is the gold standard for cheap thrills as they are very simple, well sorted and lots of parts are available for them, that is prolly the cheap way out.
I definately agree with PaddyPix #2 paragraph, this is why I always track beaters

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
If you go the #2 route with an ecoboost or V6 car, I'd worry about getting all the computers to work with the Coyote drivetrain. You may need to swap a bunch of black boxes & harnesses between the cars, and still chase down the odd fault code.

If it were a track-only stripped-interior car that wasn't street-driven (much), the #2 route might make sense if you started with something like a fire-damaged car and used it only for the bodyshell, swapping everything over from your car. Strip down the donor car to the bare shell, weld in a cage while it's open, give it a cheap paint job, then start installing all the parts.

But if you want something to drive the backroads on nice weekends, I think option #1 is going to be less work, cheaper if you're not doing all/most of the work for option #2, and get you back into a Mustang much quicker. For the needs you've outlined, I think option #1 makes the most sense.

I have a SN 95 race car that your drivetrain will bolt into. Its got a cage and fire system. MM suspension and Griggs. Sla front by Paul Brown. 9k takes it . Im in Az
BrianIMG_1297-1.JPG

So with the above body shell, and all the electronics and engine from your car, I see track ready for about $15K.. that's right up there with Superbeater. If you din't use the IRS, that would be money in the bank.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
If you go the #2 route with an ecoboost or V6 car, I'd worry about getting all the computers to work with the Coyote drivetrain. You may need to swap a bunch of black boxes & harnesses between the cars, and still chase down the odd fault code.
I don't believe that's entirely the case from the shop manual I've got, and Ford being equal parts cheap and lazy. Much of the s550 configuration comes from the AsBuilt data manifests. Pretty light on SKUs, at least in the s550, with the major differences in most cases being the hardware itself, for instance, they only have one ABS, and the configuration/limits are driven by if you're an EcoBoost, Base GT, PP2, or GT350r.

TMO Supporting Vendors