The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Right rear brake rotor/ pad issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So i changed out out all my pads and rotors. Everything seems fine and well. Did a test drive and the right rear tire is smoking after less then 2 miles. Took the wheel and caliper back off. Everything seemed to look ok. Of course it was hot as sh*t, and smoking from the pads. The rotor is dicolored also. I think the most likely issue is not making sure the slots on the piston were vertical so that it would fit the notch on the back of the pad correctly. The caliper is working, as it expanded and retracted as its supposed to. Dont see any fluid leaking around the caliper, lines, or piston. And i dont think i kinked the brake line at all, as it hardly has any flex in it to begin with. Any other thoughts comments or suggestions that I should be looking for short of a certified mechanic??

I had that happen to me at the track about 5 years ago in my GT500. When I swapped pads I only retracted the piston far enough to get the track pads in there. Did you fully retract the piston with the tool? I think what you described can happen if you don't retract it all the way even if you can get the pads in there. I have since always retracted the piston fully and made sure the two notches line up at 6 and 12 and haven't had it happen since then. Obviously if you don't line up those notches with the pin on the back side of the pad you can have uneven pad wear, but I'm not sure whether or not it would cause the lockup you experienced.

cloud9 said:
I have since always retracted the piston fully and made sure the two notches line up at 6 and 12 and haven't had it happen since then. Obviously if you don't line up those notches with the pin on the back side of the pad you can have uneven pad wear, but I'm not sure whether or not it would cause the lockup you experienced.

Another common mistake is not lining up the pins that go into the bracket. There is a flat side that fits into caliper bracket, not sure this would cause the problem you are having but it could be something to check.

YellowBoss said:
Another common mistake is not lining up the pins that go into the bracket. There is a flat side that fits into caliper bracket, not sure this would cause the problem you are having but it could be something to check.

This seems to be the issue. Went out and got the proper tool to put the piston back into the caliper. When I took the caliper off, I could see how it was not rotated properly (Up and down) in relation to the peg on the back of the brake pad. Thanks for the help guys. Now I can go racing this weekend know my brakes wont catch fire...

Shaun12 said:
This seems to be the issue. Went out and got the proper tool to put the piston back into the caliper. When I took the caliper off, I could see how it was not rotated properly (Up and down) in relation to the peg on the back of the brake pad. Thanks for the help guys. Now I can go racing this weekend know my brakes wont catch fire...
Good deal. Have fun this weekend. Wish I was going too but they're talking snow tonight :'(

Shaun12 said:

Your welcome but it sounds like you made the more common mistake of having the piston not lined up to the brake pads like Cloud9 Mentioned. The quote from me was about the pins the calipers slide on and where the bolts go that hold the caliper in place. The have a flat edge that fits into the shape of the caliper housing. In any case seems you got it figured out so go out and have some safe fun.

TMO Supporting Vendors