The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Race Louvers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello everyone,

I'm going to be installing a supercharger on my 2008 Mustang GT over the winter and I'm looking for a way to keep the engine compartment temperatures down. I'm looking at the ones from Race Louvers and see that they have a few different options for my car. Any have experience with these? I mostly just autocross my car and it's not a daily driver.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I went with track spec and found no difference in track temps until I added a wicker bill
1669917415727.png
with these things, they were good for a 30F degree drop in engine temps, I was surprised.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Trackspec vs Race Louvers:

**Trackspec**
(with optional wickerbills)

IMG_3152.jpgIMG_3155.jpgIMG_3160.jpg

**Racelouvers**
(extreme trim) There are 3 levels of trim, this is the most aggressive.

IMG_4639.jpgIMG_4641.jpgIMG_4642.jpgIMG_4644.jpg

Thanks for the information. I'm currently searching the local junkyards for another hood that I will be using for this. I have already upgraded the clutch and radiator in preparation for the supercharger install. I think the hood louvers should work with the rest of the mods to keep the engine heat under control.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I think the hood louvers should work with the rest of the mods to keep the engine heat under control.
Probably not, but it might help it last a bit longer. I have yet to see anyone pair a supercharger with a track Mustang and it be reliable long term. The few that manage to keep it going for any length of time are master fabricators with a ton of custom work and nearly all of them have ended up back to naturally aspirated.

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
I know, I know... I'm an idiot. When the compensating outweighs the fun, I'll give the car to my son and build a full time track car. FTR, every response on this thread is 100% accurate. I'm chasing IAT's into the 200 degree range and boiling the water in the intercooler. It's like trying to avoid Chernobyl every lap... but when it works... it sure is fun to be fast.

CA
It should be noted, that the supercharger that should be considered is a CENTRI blower vs. twin screw, roots, etc. if this is a mostly track car.

A centri blower running at a lower PSI doesn't add much more (if any) heat than what a good intercooler could take away.

I priced out a kit to do this for my track car however and it ended up being north of $9,000. Not worth it IMO.

It should be noted, that the supercharger that should be considered is a CENTRI blower vs. twin screw, roots, etc. if this is a mostly track car.

A centri blower running at a lower PSI doesn't add much more (if any) heat than what a good intercooler could take away.

I priced out a kit to do this for my track car however and it ended up being north of $9,000. Not worth it IMO.
absolute truth, the centris not the positive displacement units are better for track use, it's unfortunate, but the roots(positive displacement) make a bunch more power off idle, where the others have to spin up, I was discussing this recently on another thread, you can get more overall boost with a centri (or its' cousin, the turbo) and it will make more HP, but it's not really where you need it like aroots does. BUT... you can't get rid of the heat produced by a roots, just can't do it, even my stock (well...you know sorta) 07 Gt500 throws IAT codes once in awhile on hot days in Florida, it has been a chore to keep the air filter cool.20221202_133004.jpg

Last edited:

Boone

Agree with everything you guys said. I took Fabman's top end and dropped it on my street car with a 3.720 bored iron alloy BOSS50 block with forged internals. The Kenne Bell intercooler is a mess (from a design and flow perspective), and I can't do some of the cooling tricks that Fabman used on his track car. E85 is my saving grace. I'll either figure this out to my satisfaction, or I'll go down a different road. I have learned that DOB is pretty much the only company that can actually do an intake mounted blower setup that can handle track use. Their GT450 manifold and supporting cast can take the abuse and keep IAT's in check. I'm capturing IAT's on my track videos now, so I can see the enemy.

And to get back on the thread subject... I really need a hood vent, and it will be installed by Christmas.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I know, I know... I'm an idiot. When the compensating outweighs the fun, I'll give the car to my son and build a full time track car. FTR, every response on this thread is 100% accurate.
I disagree with your first statement. Sorry if my response came across poorly. We often forget why we/most of us do this. To have fun. We all have our own idea of what fun is. If you have fun wringing out that last tenth of a second in a entry level Miata or adapting a GT500 to put down 1100rwhp. It’s all for the same reason, to have fun.
Not to forget some of the site sponsors who make a living out or this sport. Most of them started out just trying to go a little faster all on their own. Most still do.
So, nope, you ain’t an idiot. At least I don’t think so from what I have read. I/we may need more data before making a final decision. Lol:hellyeah::applause:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I disagree with your first statement. Sorry if my response came across poorly. We often forget why we/most of us do this. To have fun. We all have our own idea of what fun is. If you have fun wringing out that last tenth of a second in a entry level Miata or adapting a GT500 to put down 1100rwhp. It’s all for the same reason, to have fun.
Not to forget some of the site sponsors who make a living out or this sport. Most of them started out just trying to go a little faster all on their own. Most still do.
So, nope, you ain’t an idiot. At least I don’t think so from what I have read. I/we may need more data before making a final decision. Lol:hellyeah::applause:
Boone is a bonafide mechanical engineer, which is not something he tends to brag about and something I never knew until he came to visit, so he's definitely a smart guy.

Boone

I appreciate the coddling. But I am aware that anyone trying to make a street car run with race cars is... well... an idiot. If I had more money, people would say I'm eccentric. We all know that's just a wealthy idiot.

You are correct that I'm in for the fun. I sit in grid early with my AC on and watch my IAT's climb to 140 degrees before I even hit the track.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I appreciate the coddling. But I am aware that anyone trying to make a street car run with race cars is... well... an idiot. If I had more money, people would say I'm eccentric. We all know that's just a wealthy idiot.

You are correct that I'm in for the fun. I sit in grid early with my AC on and watch my IAT's climb to 140 degrees before I even hit the track.
Didn't you call me eccentric when you were here....? I'm still trying to figure out if that's a compliment or...? LOL.
We are all a little bit crazy or we wouldn't be doing this....the key is to do it well.

Agree with everything you guys said. I took Fabman's top end and dropped it on my street car with a 3.720 bored iron alloy BOSS50 block with forged internals. The Kenne Bell intercooler is a mess (from a design and flow perspective), and I can't do some of the cooling tricks that Fabman used on his track car. E85 is my saving grace. I'll either figure this out to my satisfaction, or I'll go down a different road. I have learned that DOB is pretty much the only company that can actually do an intake mounted blower setup that can handle track use. Their GT450 manifold and supporting cast can take the abuse and keep IAT's in check. I'm capturing IAT's on my track videos now, so I can see the enemy.

And to get back on the thread subject... I really need a hood vent, and it will be installed by Christmas.

The one from DOB is the one I'm looking at. I mostly just autocross my car and I think the instant torque will be a big advantage compared to the other type of superchargers.

In the V6L
I ran a positive displacement blower on my 2011 GT Brembo for a couple of seasons of track time and temperatures weren't really a problem once I got the tuning right. It was a TVS from Magnussen and I got help from their tuning guru to get it set up where I needed it. When I first instrumented it and did some laps with the new blower on, my IATs were high and "boost" was about 12 PSI. I made some adjustments to cam timing at full power and got the "boost" down to 7 PSI at the same airflow. Horsepower and torque, based on the car's acceleration to top speed on a long straight was identical, but IAT was much lower and the whole engine was happier at lower temps.

Anything you can do to make the airflow through the engine more efficient will bring temps down, and lower temps are better all around. "Boost" in PSI is actually a measure of inefficiency, so (particularly with a PD blower) anything that brings it down at a given rate of airflow is a good thing. If you have adjustable cam timing, then adjust it!

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors