The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Brake Duct Cooling Kit by Grip Performance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KNS Brakes

Supporting Vendor
Cary NC
We were contacted by Tony Carter in Charlotte NC who fabricates some race car parts. He came up with a pretty nice S550 brake duct cooling kit and has asked us to help show it to you track guys.

It’s pretty simple – the spindle mount is AL and bolts on and the hose gets routed up to the bumper inlet.

Shown are a few pics of the parts and an install example. We don’t have a cool bumper inlet as you can see.

Fire away if interested. Exact application fitment is not 100% yet - price should be reasonable except for those who mine their own aluminum and own a welder and fab shop and …..well you get the point.
GPMustangBDK.jpgzero.jpg
one.jpgtwo.jpgthree.jpgFresh-parts.jpg

That looks like a nice kit. I know a couple of members have been looking for those. Maybe someone can try a set and report back on fitment.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
It's nice but could be nicer by making them round to oval like one of our TMO members did.

Other than being somewhat lower profile, what advantage do the steel ties have over reusable stainless hose clamps?

Coz,
I don't see the benefit in going round to oval other than increasing labor & cost. These direct air straight into the center of the rotor. As far as the zip ties, there's no advantage, just what I chose to run with. I have even been using the plastic zip ties on my car for over a year.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Tony,

It's kinda hard to tell via the angle of the picture but it looks like the hub/ABS ring will block part of the flow. While a lot of air will certainly go into the center, the width of the area between the edge of the rotor braking surface and the wheel hub is less than 3" so some portion of the airflow will not reach the center.

Whether the X% more flow is worth the extra $$ is certainly something that must be considered.

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Not having a decent inlet is going to be a problem, especially when there's kits out there already at a decent price that include them, FTBR being one. I mean it's a track car and all but you don't want it looking too ghetto now do you? :D

Jdee,
I realize not having an inlet will cause some to pass this kit up. I didn't want to remove the fog light and going into the triangle area of the lower grill was a straight shot from the wheel well, eliminating additional bemds and increasing air flow. The hose itself fits that space very tight, leaving no room for an inlet piece. Also, you can't see the hose unless you get down real close to the opening looking for it.20190810_194006.jpg

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Well yeah, always more than one way to do stuff. Personally, I didn't mind losing the lights, they were functionally almost useless, a decoration more than anything. I figured the weight loss would be good, it wasn't, they weigh like 1-2 lbs each or so! That area you used is very small, there's no way my inlet piece would fit in there. Hose routing is a beyotch for sure, even with just 3" hoses where it comes out under the frame rail heading to the wheel causes no end of problems. A custom made flexible steel/aluminum duct for there would be priceless.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel