Shift Knob Talk - Specifically Not a Hard Ball

Discussion in 'Drivetrain, Exhaust and Electrical' started by Swine, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Swine

Swine TMO Advanced

I have a nicely setup Boss with Calimer trans, MGW Race Spec, and Hyper Single. That MGW is very direct and VERY connected. You feel a alot through the OEM hard ball shift knob. For my street driven Boss, im not sure that i like that. It was fine in stock form without the badass MGW shifter, and probably still "fine" now.

Today on the way to work, i tried an standard OEM GT leather shift knob. The shifts are smoother and softer, you feel less of teeth engagement, the shifter hitting the bottom of the gate is more pleasant, its nicer to handle and not as cold in the winter.

It feels more like a perfectly shifting OEM setup instead of an obvious aftermarket shifter. So far i like the performance, really like. You ever paint a wall or put a piece of furniture in a room and it made the room feel surprisingly different? Thats how this shift knob has impacted the driving performance of my Boss. The interior and overall driving feels more friendly and inviting and in general more pleasant to drive. Its my obvious preference.

The look sucks though and the chrome accent doesnt match the gunmetal dash.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    ArizonaBOSS and Grant 302 like this.
  2. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

I get that. There are plenty of options out there so look around. I drove a Boss with a teflon stalk shifter knob, like you see in race cars, and liked it a lot.

Swine likes this.
  3. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Gotta go Faster

Could you remind me were you got that shifter? I remeber the picture but can't find it now

4. VoodooBoss

5. VoodooBoss

6. Grant 302

Grant 302 OPM Spent: $665,833 Moderator

7. gww52

gww52 TMO Advanced

Does a stock Boss 302 shifter ball fit an MGW race spec shifter?
    Does the race spec come with a shift ball?
    Thanks!

8. LS291

LS291 TMO Intermediate

I installed the stock knob on an X-spec MGW shifter, no problem. Nobody knows it's there! It is a stealth look.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

9. VoodooBoss

I believe you have to order the MGW with the stock threads. There are two options when you order the shifter. At least that's how it was when I ordered mine years ago.

TymeSlayer likes this.
  10. LS291

LS291 TMO Intermediate

I can confirm that I ordered mine noting that I would be using the stock ball. It would be worth a call to MGW to confirm if that is required.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

11. Norm Peterson

Norm Peterson Corner Barstool Sitter

I'm not a fan of billiard-ball shift knobs these days, either.

You could always make a thread adapter from readily-available hardware. Something like this ↓↓↓ with stud and nut threads as required.

[​IMG]

Covering the bare metal bits with just about any kind of insulation will make a big difference in the amount of noise coming up through the shifter. I happened to have some hot water pipe insulation and duct tape that almost matches the interior color handy . . .

[​IMG]

FWIW, that's an MGW shift lever I intentionally lengthened, specifically to reduce notchiness. The longer throw is neither objectionable nor particularly noticeable. But if you wanted a shorter throw you could always use a shorter stud and adjust the MGW differently than I did.

Norm

VoodooBoss likes this.
  12. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

I had a Hurst T-shift handle in my Olds 442 back in the day until it stripped out (too much power shifting, I guess). I don't mind the cue ball shifter knob in the Boss at all.

13. Norm Peterson

Norm Peterson Corner Barstool Sitter

I had a '79 Malibu with (variously) Saginaw, B-W, and Tremec transmissions. Never could find anything but cue-balls, T-handles, and maybe a pistol-grip here and there. For me, cue-ball was still the best of a bad lot. But I only autocrossed that car. No road course, no drag strip. But after 30 years of having to live with it when the shift knobs in the other cars we had during that time (all MT) fit me so much better, I wasn't going to take a step backward with the Mustang.

Norm