The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Should Cats be removed for track only cars?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am contemplating removing my cats on my GT350 build. It is s dedicated track car so no legal/emissions issue.

Will it need a tune to prevent CEL?
Is there a down side other than the CEL issue and on some tracks there is a dB level limit?

On the plus side:
Sound will go up
A little weight reduction
Higher exhaust flow

The first sensors are wideband and will still be used by the ECU. The after CAT sensors are the rear O2 units for emissions. The tuner will shut off the alert for them not seeing CATS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get rid of the cats and get the car tuned.

I have long tubes on my 2012 with a catless H-pipe and stock mufflers. My car pretty much sounds stock, so just leave your stock mufflers on and noise levels won't be an issue.

I'm not running any cats with it pretty much being a dedicated track car. Less weight and the cats are a large heat sink on either side of the trans so imagine it does help with keeping the trans cooler although I did not take note of before and after temps.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel