The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Should I buy a GT350?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
My local dealer called me today. They have three GT350's for sale and they are all going for MSRP. One is a 2016 trackpack for $57,xxx and the other two 2017 GT350's are $59,870. The 2017's are fully loaded with all the options, i.e. electronics package, equipment group 900A, etc. They are willing to give me $30k trade in for my 2012 Boss 302. Out the door with my trade, tax and licensing it will cost me about $34,xxx. Is it really worth it to sell my paid off Boss with 20,400 miles and spend another $34k on a new car? I took it out for a test drive, loved everything about the car except for the clutch pedal. It really didn't feel much faster if at all faster than the Boss. The boss throws you back in the seat where as the GT350 power is more progressive, building as the RPM rise but still very smooth power delivery. It is definitely a more sophisticated car and the steering is very direct. It only had 4 miles on it when I took it out, now it has about 8 miles. Your advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Adam the clutch pedal is an easy fix. Buy the $18 clutch spring from Steeda and it makes a noticeable difference.

Hard to say what's worth it to you but the $30K trade in allowance seems fair to me. My rationale was the trans/clutch was a time bomb in the Boss and if the motor pops... The 350 has a new 5 Year or 60,000 power train warranty. The 350 doesn't feel a lot if any faster from 0-60 but to me it feels faster from 60-120. It's noticeable to me on track and pulls hard up to the 130+ I see at Thunderhill. Everything else about the car is better but the Boss has a more raw personality. I'm also a fan of the IRS. I had my car on track Monday in 99 degree heat and while everything was hot I had no concerns about limp mode or other cooling issues. Ford truly delivered on their track car promise with the 350. Swap in your favorite track tires, pads and brake fluid and you're good to go.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I was thinking the same thing...the Boss's powertrain warranty is up in February of 2017. If anything fails after that I'm out of luck paying for repairs out of pocket. The transmission just got rebuilt by Ford within the last 3,xxx miles. The GT350 seems like more of a turn-key track car. Seems like I will only have to do regular maintenance on the car i.e. tires, brakes, and fluids while the Boss needed a lot of mods to make it trackable. I think they are giving me a good deal. The crappy part is the almost $4,xxx in tax and licensing. I bought the Boss through military car sales when I was overseas and paid $2k under MSRP and no tax :)

What to do what to do?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
How much weight does deleting the resonators save? Another thing that shy's me away from the GT350 is it's weight...3800lbs!!! When the Boss shipped back to the states from Germany and it was weighed it came in under 3500lbs with 1/4 tank of fuel. So the GT350 is 300+ pounds heavier. What can you do to save weight on this car?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
My Boss weighs less because of my mods i.e. driveshaft, wheels, battery, exhaust, aluminum flywheel, aluminum rear control arms, etc. I shaved 150lbs off of the car when I had it weighed.

The dealership just called me back and said they would only give me $27,000 for the Boss. They are offering me a 2017 at MSRP but I told them no unless they meet me at $29,000 for the trade.

Flyboygsxr said:
My Boss weighs less because of my mods i.e. driveshaft, wheels, battery, exhaust, aluminum flywheel, aluminum rear control arms, etc. I shaved 150lbs off of the car when I had it weighed.

The dealership just called me back and said they would only give me $27,000 for the Boss. They are offering me a 2017 at MSRP but I told them no unless they meet me at $29,000 for the trade.
Hold them to the original $30k offer. Your terms or no deal. Leave the outcome to the GT350 gods ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a tough call... $30k for your car with 20k+ miles is not bad, but an additional $34k for the GT350 will definitely dent the pocket a bit (at least it would dent mine :p). But the GT350 is certainly a nice ride! I'd love to own one sooner or later.

Bay Area
I feel ya man. I'm in the same situation. I can sale my Boss for 30K, although I owe @ 10K. Then get the GT350"price down but I love my Boss and domI want to get into another payment. Good luck on you choice

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Test driving the GT350 was such a bad idea because now I want one! It just felt like everything was working in unison and the level of refinement compared to the Boss is in a different league. The steering felt tight and direct and the exhaust note was awesome. On a race track though is it really faster with the same set of tires?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Still waiting for prices to soften. There are '16s in SoCal available at MSRP now. Local dealers were buying them from out of state while the premiums were good. I think that might be mostly done now.

straightliner1 said:
Hold them to the original $30k offer. Your terms or no deal. Leave the outcome to the GT350 gods ;)

This. I don't even think you should concede at $29k. Even at $30k, they're making money on both cars.

Good luck either way, and remember that time is YOUR friend in this situation.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Grant, you're right...this dealership has had like seven GT350's and two of them were R's. They have three 2017's now and even a left over 2016. They have been trying to sell me a car for months now. Originally the ADM was 30k on the R's and 10k on the standard 350's. Will we see these cars going for below MSRP soon?

You can find the new Z06 for 10k + below MSRP. I just had a friend get one for $76k, MSRP was about $91k. I was looking on auto trader and there are still a bunch of Z/28's for sale. Some of them still at MSRP ($75k) but some in the high $40k's low $50k's.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
They called me back and said they would do $29k trade-in and MSRP on the GT350. I'm in the military though and I'm only 20 minutes from New Mexico where they offer tax free on vehicle purchases. That would save me another $3k but I have to find a car in New Mexico.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
So here's something else I'm worried about with the boss. It's out of warranty in February and what if the motor goes shortly after. It's got 20k miles on it and at least 1/2 of those are at the track. It's running perfectly and I maintain it meticulously but one day the motor will pop. Having another track toy with a factory warranty is comforting. I feel like $30k for the Boss and the 350 at MSRP is a reasonable offer. What do you guys think? The MSRP is $59,xxx because it's a fully loaded 2017.

Bay Area
Flyboygsxr said:
So here's something else I'm worried about with the boss. It's out of warranty in February and what if the motor goes shortly after. It's got 20k miles on it and at least 1/2 of those are at the track. It's running perfectly and I maintain it meticulously but one day the motor will pop. Having another track toy with a factory warranty is comforting. I feel like $30k for the Boss and the 350 at MSRP is a reasonable offer. What do you guys think? The MSRP is $59,xxx because it's a fully loaded 2017.

MSRP for a 17 GT350 @ 59xxx do it
My deal is way worse than yours. And I thought mine was good

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I bought the car! In the end they gave me what I wanted and I walked out the door with a brand new (only 5 miles) 2017 GT350. I got it for MSRP and the dealer told me they only made $600 on the car. He actually showed me the paperwork and it was just under $600. Is that possible? How can they make so little on these cars selling them at MSRP? He basically said on the specialty cars like the Shelby they get no rebates or incentives from ford.

I have a bunch of parts now that I will be listing for sale from the Boss. I wanted to take the MGW shifter off but couldn't find all the parts to the stock one :(

TMO Supporting Vendors