The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

So....Whole cold air kit, or just a drop in filter?

What do you guys think? Think I could get the same benefit from just dropping in a K& filter element into the factory air box? Still need a tune? Thanks!
 
I am sure others will weigh in but I have done a bit of research since I was wondering the same thing.

Drop-In K&N filter - no tune necessary (just drop it in). Not much HP gain, if any.

CAI without tune - as far as I can find, only a couple CAI's that say they can be installed without a tune. The others highly recommend/require a tune...just adding the cold air may lean the motor out a bit too much for comfort.

CAI with a tune - most expensive option but will produce the best HP gain.

I started with the K&N drop in just because it is an inexpensive option that flows a bit better than the stock filter and just needs to be cleaned and re-oiled every once in while. At some point, I will go with an intake and tune to get the best gain.
 
IIRC, you don't need a tune unless the throttle body is bigger. The computer should sort out the tune, and prevent it from going lean, as long as the stock throttle body is used, though the hp gains will probably be minimal unless it is bigger.
 
Superlead76 said:
What do you guys think? Think I could get the same benefit from just dropping in a K& filter element into the factory air box? Still need a tune? Thanks!

I can't off the top of my head remember which forum it was on, but one of the members did a bunch of testing with filters and on the Dyno, the K&N makes less horsepower than stock.

May want to do some research before plugging in a K&N filter on your Boss. They come with a decent low restriction filter stock. CAI and a tune may be a better but more expensive choice.
 
I started off with the K&N drop in filter but eventually installed a BBK Cold Air Intake without a tune. Since doing so, I've had no problems with the car and do not believe you will notice a change between it or the stock air box.

Wish I had dyno'd the car prior to either change but never had the chance. Like most things with this car, it's up to the individual to change what they want vs what everyone else is suggesting/doing. JMO
 
NewBossowner said:
I can't off the top of my head remember which forum it was on, but one of the members did a bunch of testing with filters and on the Dyno, the K&N makes less horsepower than stock.

May want to do some research before plugging in a K&N filter on your Boss. They come with a decent low restriction filter stock. CAI and a tune may be a better but more expensive choice.

The same phenomena has been noticed with other cars too. Also their oil messes up the maf on some cars, though I have not heard it being an issue with Fords.
 
I installed the C&L no tune required CAI...ordered from Americanmuscle.com...look great, don't know if it will result in any hp increase (12 hp claimed)

..
 
jnathan68 said:
I am sure others will weigh in but I have done a bit of research since I was wondering the same thing.

Drop-In K&N filter - no tune necessary (just drop it in). Not much HP gain, if any.

CAI without tune - as far as I can find, only a couple CAI's that say they can be installed without a tune. The others highly recommend/require a tune...just adding the cold air may lean the motor out a bit too much for comfort.

CAI with a tune - most expensive option but will produce the best HP gain.

I started with the K&N drop in just because it is an inexpensive option that flows a bit better than the stock filter and just needs to be cleaned and re-oiled every once in while. At some point, I will go with an intake and tune to get the best gain.

J68

Friend of mine who owns 21st Century Muscle Cars in Dallas, told me to not oil the air filters; just wash in warm soapy water. Here in North Texas the oil will actually cause the filter to get dirtier, quicker.

Thought I would pass this on to you. I've tried it in 2 vehicles with good success.
 
Here is the test done by SVTP: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/front-page-news-143/857223-svtperformance-2012-gt-k-n-replacement-filter-test.html
The K&N lost about 4 rwhp on average. Pretty interesting test.
 
ArizonaGT said:
I have a Dyno graph showing the exact opposite, with the kn picking up five hp or so for about 1000 rpm but no change in peak hp
I didn't dyno "before" but mine made almost 400 rwhp SAE corrected with the K&N and side pipes opened up which is on the high side for a stock Boss.
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,545
2,376
Arizona, USA
Here is the dyno sheet; sidepipes open, with Roush mufflers on both runs. Blue trace is the stock paper filter, red trace is the K&N. Runs were back-to-back.

FEEsw.png

We even tried running it without any filter in the stock airbox, but the car would stumble and barely run--it seems the plastic "lip" on the filter is integral to getting the airflow correct.
 
71
10
hdaniel said:
I installed the C&L no tune required CAI...ordered from Americanmuscle.com...look great, don't know if it will result in any hp increase (12 hp claimed)

..
C&L has a wealth of info on their site and is worth reading. The stock system is restrictive and, in fact, flows 50 cfm less than the factory 4.6 setup. The difference in feel with a high flow CAI is obviously highly subjective but the gain can be measured. Last summer C&L sponsered a free dyno day. They would do a baseline pull, install their CAI with the no-tune insert, and then do another pull, or in the opposite order, if preferred. They guaranteed at least 10 hp.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top