The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Squeaky rear brakes driving me insane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Since I got my car back months ago from the dealer when they fixed the diff. The rear brakes chirp when driving and squeal at first touch of the brakes then go quite when full on the brakes. It will go away if I make hard turns. I have replaced all hardware and the metal clips the pads ride on (the name of this part escapes me). Is it the pads sticking? I have DBA rotors fairly new. What am I over looking? Any ideas? It's getting so annoying I don't want to drive the thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The calipers may not be retracting all the way but if that was the case I think you'd hear them rubbing all the time.

Which pads do you have and do they have the spring that holds them in place? Some aftermarket pads don't have the spring.

Justin said:
Since I got my car back months ago from the dealer when they fixed the diff. The rear brakes chirp when driving and squeal at first touch of the brakes then go quite when full on the brakes. It will go away if I make hard turns. I have replaced all hardware and the metal clips the pads ride on (the name of this part escapes me). Is it the pads sticking? I have DBA rotors fairly new. What am I over looking? Any ideas? It's getting so annoying I don't want to drive the thing

This might help with the braking squeal (I use it):

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/lubricants/specialty-lubricants-brakes/permatex-ceramic-extreme-brake-parts-lubricant-detail

However, the chirp when driving has me a little concerned

A small amount of end play is to be expected with the c-clip axles, but excessive end play can cause noises

If that is in fact the case (hopefully not) it could be a result of a poor reinstallation by the dealer, a bent axle, worn clutch plates (non-torsen), etc.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Somethings not right, you should not hear anything from the rear using stock pads. Are the rotors stil in good shape? Make sure none of the caliper is hanging up also.

Justin

The rotors look fine as does the pads. I will re grease the slider pins see if that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Save yourself the time. I spent months chasing this exact same squeal. I didn't want to believe it at first but it was a bent axle. I greased the pins, shimmed the caliper, changed my pads, machined the rotors. Didn't change a thing. Finally just replaced the axle and it was fixed instantly. Put your car up on stands and take your rear wheels off. Measure the run out on your rear hubs with the car in 1st at idle.

Justin

wherermykeys said:
Save yourself the time. I spent months chasing this exact same squeal. I didn't want to believe it at first but it was a bent axle. I greased the pins, shimmed the caliper, changed my pads, machined the rotors. Didn't change a thing. Finally just replaced the axle and it was fixed instantly. Put your car up on stands and take your rear wheels off. Measure the run out on your rear hubs with the car in 1st at idle.
I'll give that a shot. I was afraid it might be that. Started right after I grenaded the diff and got it back from the dealer. Guess I'll upgrade to moser axles. I can get them cheap enough through jegs.

I could swap axles from right to left see if it moves but at the price of fluid and additive it's an expensive test.

TMO Supporting Vendors