The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear end catch can ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I would like to get some rear end catch can ideas. The turkey baster didnt work so well at Rockingham.
-4AN fitting will thread into the axle port. You want to get a catch can like this one from Joe's Racing. Mount it vertically in the trunk and run a -4 AN hose as vertically as you can to the top of the axle. If axle fluid expands up into the can, the vapor will vent but the liquid will cool and run back down into the housing. Easy peasy. If you have the Boss cover, then plug the axle tube port and use the vent at the top of the cover.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...1252637888310&utm_content=GSAPI+5ba26a1f4285fjoe-12302_xl.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I am looking for options again as well. The turkey baster melted on my exhaust. I replaced it with a Bob's Autosports KR style catch can run to the axle tube. The fitting hit my exhaust so we rerouted it to the vent plug on the top of the Ford Performance finned aluminum cover. While under the car last week I see the elbow threaded into the port on the cover was hitting the catch can and banged up the threads. Right now I have the factory jiggle valve screwed into the port on the aluminum cover. Do you get any fumes off of the Joes Racing can in the trunk? My car is dual use and still has most of the interior in it.

This JLT expansion tank worked great for me. Not maybe the best for a full track/race car but it worked great for me and other in the past. You can clock it around in any position you need to clear the exhaust. I went through the turkey baster and Bob's stuff, too, and both were problematic for the reasons stated above.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Stockton, CA
I've been using the JLT expansion reservoir for the past 3 seasons and it's works great. It relocates the oem check valve to the top of the tank and mounts to one of the rear bolts of the UCA bracket above the axle. I haven't had any issues with interference with exhaust.

I never could adjust the Bob's can to NOT clank. And my car was only on P springs at the time so not super low. Many of us had that issue back then but maybe it's been re-designed since. The JLT was easy to install and my car had zero issues with it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
i didn't have a problem with the Bob's can contacting the exhaust. I get interference between the 90 degree elbow attaching the vent line to the axle tube and the exhaust. This was on Steeda Sport Springs. We moved the vent line to the top of the Boss diff cover and I am getting contact with the Bob's can. It has been that way for the last couple of years. While doing a gear swap I noticed the 90 degree elbow has seriously dented the can and beat up the threads in the diff cover to where it leans a bit. Has anyone had any luck attaching the jiggle valve directly to the Ford Boss diff cover? The way the cover is baffled it looks like it would be pretty hard for oil to find its way out the jiggle valve.

Jlt has officially been discontinued. Lethal had one from Full Tilt Boogie that looked very similar to the JLT, we will see.
Looks like in stock here.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN

cortexracing

Supporting Vendor
How do you usually mount without the watts link?
There's a variety of ways that customers do it. Some choose to simply bolt it to the spare tire well on the underside of the car.

Others, like Mentioned, will put it in the trunk and replace the drain fitting on the bottom with a barb, then run the hose down and hook up at the axle vent. This allows for gravity feed back into the axle.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Wild Wonderful WV
Well, I bought the Full Tilt Boogie unit but couldnt get happy with mounting location. Added the Ford Performance Turkey Baster up top and we will see how this does next month. I think I should have used some thread dope on the vent last time out. This thing is not a dedicated track car and I couldn't stand the thoughts of drilling the trunk area. We will keep you updated.

362691261_6425860730783195_1843969811091674363_n.jpg

363032039_6425860870783181_1975910793284222685_n.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Wild Wonderful WV
Looks like in stock here.
I tried to call and couldnt get happy with the website. If the above doesnt work out I will pursue it.

TMO Supporting Vendors