The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Stupid dealer service

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Took my car in for its annual oil change and inspection today. The service manager comes out and says "Ford recommends 5w20 for 5.0s". I said, well if it was a 5.0 that would be fine buts it's not. The manager looks at me, with a serious look like I am some dumbass and says " well 302 cubic inches is 5.0 liters". I said it's not a coyote motor it's a roadrunner. I might as well have said it runs on grape juice because she looked at me like I had two heads. I tried explaining to her the difference and she was lost. I finally said why does the engine oil cap say 5w50? To which she had no response. I made them take it back in and change it to 5w50. Last time I'm doing the dealer service. That's scary. I don't track the car or anything like that, so it probably would be fine, but it's the principle. These people should know the cars they are supposed to know!

Fred Beans Ford, Doylestown PA.

Man I would send a note to Ford asking why their dealership service people don't even know how to read the requirement right on the oil fill cap! :eek:

Sounds like that service writer would be better off working in Pep Boys or Walmart service centers! ::)

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Dealer put 5-20 in mine-took it back the same day after reading the invoice when I got home.

...marked the oil filter with a sharpie "dot" to ensure they changed it out also...

Not the first I've heard of this and probably not the last.

If you have a GT350 make sure your dealer knows the engine holds 10 qts. Ask me how I know. ::)

Bummer for sure. At least the dealer worked on the car, albeit without correct attention to your vehicle. When my '12 Boss was under 3/36 I attempted to have work done at a local dealer and they flat refused saying "You did not buy the car here, we will not service it". Ford's response was that each dealer is able to determine their own terms of operation. Kick in the balls was I had used the Parts department for years prior and had a good relationship with those guys and had never dealt with service or sales prior. If you don't have confidence in the service, take it elsewhere or as mentioned do it yourself. 8)

cbj5259 said:
Took my car in for its annual oil change and inspection today. The service manager comes out and says "Ford recommends 5w20 for 5.0s". I said, well if it was a 5.0 that would be fine buts it's not. The manager looks at me, with a serious look like I am some dumbass and says " well 302 cubic inches is 5.0 liters". I said it's not a coyote motor it's a roadrunner. I might as well have said it runs on grape juice because she looked at me like I had two heads. I tried explaining to her the difference and she was lost. I finally said why does the engine oil cap say 5w50? To which she had no response. I made them take it back in and change it to 5w50. Last time I'm doing the dealer service. That's scary. I don't track the car or anything like that, so it probably would be fine, but it's the principle. These people should know the cars they are supposed to know!

Fred Beans Ford, Doylestown PA.

You had better check the oil level immediately. If they wanted to put 0w20 in your Boss, they also didn't know that it takes 8.5 quarts of oil, because the Coyote takes 7.5 quarts. I had the dealer underfill my Boss twice. The third time, I made sure they knew it took 8.5 quarts, then I watched through the window as the grease monkey grabbed the oil gun and started filling it with 0w20! I yelled at him. They had to drain the couple of quarts they put in there, then they didn't have 9 quarts of 5w50 so they had to call a dealer across town to bring some over to them.

Needless to say, I gave up on them.

The Motorcraft 5w50 that the dealer wants to put in is crap oil anyway, but if you do insist on having the dealer do an oil change, make sure they give you the last 1/2 quart. It only comes in individual 1 quart bottles, so if they do the change correctly they should charge you for 9 quarts and have 1/2 quart left over.

576 said:
Bummer for sure. At least the dealer worked on the car, albeit without correct attention to your vehicle. When my '12 Boss was under 3/36 I attempted to have work done at a local dealer and they flat refused saying "You did not buy the car here, we will not service it". Ford's response was that each dealer is able to determine their own terms of operation. Kick in the balls was I had used the Parts department for years prior and had a good relationship with those guys and had never dealt with service or sales prior. If you don't have confidence in the service, take it elsewhere or as mentioned do it yourself. 8)

You should have called them out on that one. Guess they never read the warranty info that Ford issues, any dealer can perform warranty work not just where you purchased the car. That's been the case for years with all manufactures not just Ford.

coboss said:
You had better check the oil level immediately. If they wanted to put 0w20 in your Boss, they also didn't know that it takes 8.5 quarts of oil, because the Coyote takes 7.5 quarts. I had the dealer underfill my Boss twice. The third time, I made sure they knew it took 8.5 quarts, then I watched through the window as the grease monkey grabbed the oil gun and started filling it with 0w20! I yelled at him. They had to drain the couple of quarts they put in there, then they didn't have 9 quarts of 5w50 so they had to call a dealer across town to bring some over to them.

Needless to say, I gave up on them.

The Motorcraft 5w50 that the dealer wants to put in is crap oil anyway, but if you do insist on having the dealer do an oil change, make sure they give you the last 1/2 quart. It only comes in individual 1 quart bottles, so if they do the change correctly they should charge you for 9 quarts and have 1/2 quart left over.
I checked it as soon as I got home, I also checked the invoice and noticed that it was refilled with "8.0 quarts - 5w50". Luckily I keep a few quarts of 5w50 in the garage and added a 1/2 on my own.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
No doubt that some Authorized Ford Dealers make mistakes, but not all do and many Ford Dealer Service Departments are very good.

I also believe that we should have this conversation with the Service Advisor at the time of write-up. It's easy to see the Kooks Boss side pipes on my car, but I still remind them about the Boss side pipes and the front splitter.

Why take a chance? We have special engines in the Boss, and so I let them know right up front it takes individual quarts of 5W50.

A complete Dealer maintenance history will be invaluable should I ever need assistance with a major engine failure.

302 Hi Pro

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
In this instance, not All Men(or Women) are created equal. If you can't DIY, you need to find a dealer that will listen to you rather than one who will dictate the service you need.

Problem is the dam franchise laws that protect the dealers from the manufactures and there is the trend of no more family based dealers anymore. They are all owned by corporate monsters today and honestly they just do not give a shiznit about your car or you as a customer. You live near me and I can tell you most of the Ford dealers here are owned by big chains now. The dealer we bought the cars from has changed and definitely not for the better. I stopped to see them about getting the track key done as was basically blown off to trade it on a new one. Seriously I just bought the thing a couple years ago. I swear I'm sorry they had their facts wrong on the trackkey when I bought it and didn't have them install it before it was delivered. I will get it installed this spring and the car will most likely never see a dealer again unless there is a change back to customer service. Hell it is not even worth building a relationship with a dealer anymore as they either don't care about it or they get bought and sold like candy to another chain and it is worthless.

Even the service level at the local Audi dealerships has been a major disappointment anymore.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Steelhorse said:
Problem is the dam franchise laws that protect the dealers from the manufactures and there is the trend of no more family based dealers anymore. They are all owned by corporate monsters today and honestly they just do not give a shiznit about your car or you as a customer. You live near me and I can tell you most of the Ford dealers here are owned by big chains now. The dealer we bought the cars from has changed and definitely not for the better. I stopped to see them about getting the track key done as was basically blown off to trade it on a new one. Seriously I just bought the thing a couple years ago. I swear I'm sorry they had their facts wrong on the trackkey when I bought it and didn't have them install it before it was delivered. I will get it installed this spring and the car will most likely never see a dealer again unless there is a change back to customer service. Hell it is not even worth building a relationship with a dealer anymore as they either don't care about it or they get bought and sold like candy to another chain and it is worthless.

Even the service level at the local Audi dealerships has been a major disappointment anymore.

Steelhorse:

Sorry to read of your poor Ford Dealership experiences, and yes I too have experienced poor service at an Authorized Dealership. Big money has been offered and paid for the acquisition of Dealerships and there are many large dealership groups as you have mentioned.

But keep checking back as they might change sooner than most would think due to the shift in focus in CSI ratings/scores by the manufactures. In fact many manufacturers are now including CSI minimum score levels as qualifiers for the millions paid out to dealers in factory dealer bonus program cash on a quarterly and annual basis.

Some dealers have keyed into this bonus cash with employee incentive programs that promote high CSI scores. It all boils down to training and then having management that empowers dealership employees to assist customers to solve problems before they become the deal breakers like you have experienced.

You should consider writing your dealership Executive Manager or GM a letter and give them a chance to make it right by you. Hopefully you will experience a good result.

Good luck,
302 Hi Pro

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
When in the market for a new daily driver a couple of years ago, I was tending toward purchasing a 365 hp Explorer V6 eco boost.

Decided against buying the car because I didn't want to deal with the Ford service department, even though my Boss has been trouble free.

A shame, because I liked the specs of the car and respect anything the CHP buys.

image_zpshd4uegug.jpg

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Not to throw water on a good fire.....but.

The dealer I go through is a family owner dealership, has an outstanding service department and is a place I will continue to work with. I have to drive a distance because they are located where I grew up, not where I current live.

The local dealership, 10 miles from me....Same thing. Family owned, great people to work with and the service department is great.

So I guess I am 2 for 2. Who would have thunk it??? ::)

TMSBOSS said:
Not to throw water on a good fire.....but.

The dealer I go through is a family owner dealership, has an outstanding service department and is a place I will continue to work with. I have to drive a distance because they are located where I grew up, not where I current live.

The local dealership, 10 miles from me....Same thing. Family owned, great people to work with and the service department is great.

So I guess I am 2 for 2. Who would have thunk it??? ::)

That's the way it was for years around here with long time family owners & some 3 generations. But now many of those were bought out by Auto Nation. Many service guys and techs quit rather than work for that outfit. Seems like the sales staff is right out of high school and they have a huge turn over there as well.

302 Hi Pro said:
No doubt that some Authorized Ford Dealers make mistakes, but not all do and many Ford Dealer Service Departments are very good.

I also believe that we should have this conversation with the Service Advisor at the time of write-up. It's easy to see the Kooks Boss side pipes on my car, but I still remind them about the Boss side pipes and the front splitter.

Why take a chance? We have special engines in the Boss, and so I let them know right up front it takes individual quarts of 5W50.

A complete Dealer maintenance history will be invaluable should I ever need assistance with a major engine failure.

302 Hi Pro

The kicker is I actually did have this talk with the service writer when I took the car in. I told them to put the car on a rack and not the lift as it has the side dumps and I told her that the car gets 5w50. After about an hour she comes out and tells me the computer says 5w20 (based on my VIN...which is even more disturbing that the computer even has the wrong data) so they put that in.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel