The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sullivan Aluminium Pedals

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I saw these and had to purchase.
stripeblack-redmetallicstripeblack-red.JPG

camarostripeautoorange2stripe013BU.JPG

I am frustrated a bit with my inability to reach the gas from the brake and downshifting too deep really lurches the car. So you see, I've got to get the fat gas pedal. Those dark pedals with the orange stripe are just too slick to pass up. Thank you Sullivan.

64abb4c2.jpg

Oh yeah!! The adonization was worth the wait. That gas pedal is so fat, I just can't wait to stomp on it. Gonna start drilling now.

Ah, finally competed the install. I would like to say that as a relative newb, this was far from easy. The major factor was the difficulty in drilling, screwing, marking, and taping in such a cramped and awkward space. I wish I was 5'2" with 30" shoulders. Knees, shoulders, and neck took one for the team today. Anyway, enough of my belly aching. The pedals look fantastic and function as advertised. I haven't had much time on them yet, but the gas blipping is effortless.

Regarding the install, I would like to add a few things (or revelations), from someone that prefers things to be idiot proof. The instructions, luckily, were concise, precise and compete.

First, the answer is "yes", you do need to remove the OEM pedals. Do not simply drill and install to the OEM pedals. They must be removed. The gas and clutch pedal covers can be pulled off with some force. The gas pedal is secured by a single "star" type bolt that must be unscrewed from the back. Simply undo the the three nuts holding the gas pedal assembly in place, pull it off, turn it around and unscrew the cover. There is no need to undo the electric coupling, especially since I couldn't quite figure that out.
17562060.jpg

The gas pedal is some type of plastic polymer, while the gas/clutch are aluminum. The gas pedal install uses self tapping screws requiring a 1/16" bit. It is indeed solid. Be very careful in the marking process, as you want to avoid making several holes, lol. A regular drill works fine for this.

The clutch/brake pedals are a completely different story. No way in hell, a regular drill will work. It is impossible to approach the pedal with the bit at 90 degrees, resulting in inevitable and vexing slippage of the bit. I couldn't have accomplished the task without a 90 degree attachment for the drill. That accessory is absolutely brilliant and easy to use, too. Once again, one must be veeeerry precise in marking for the holes, as the margin of error on the clutch/brake install is much smaller than the gas pedal.
c3f91932.jpg

Finally, for the dead pedal, I came to the conclusion that the screws simply seat into the carpet, rather than the underlying meat of the floor. The screws are quite short, but this seems to work fine.

I've got two sets of pictures for the finished product, the first for detail, and the second to show the true orange color of the stripes.
72eb4502.jpg
2bdbb34e.jpg

I would recommend Sullivan add to their instruction the need for the handy dandy 90 degree attachment for the drill. Other than that, gotta give the experience a thumbs up. I am more than stoked. Thanks again Sullivan.

drano38

Wayne
Glad you like the pedals. They look great.

What date did you order yours?
I ordered mine on 15 June. Hope they arrive soon. Want them on for Brainerd PCA 3-day event last weekend of July.

I've got one of these I'll use one of these to drill the holes based on your input:
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-49-22-8510-Right-Angle-Attachment/dp/B000BYEJ02/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341759669&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=milwalke+angle+driver

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Guess you could also install them when swapping brake and clutch lines so that the middle pedals can hit the floor to improve the angle? I will be doing this, and let you know.

drano38 said:

I ordered mine on 15 June. Hope they arrive soon. Want them on for Brainerd PCA 3-day event last weekend of July.

I've got one of these I'll use one of these to drill the holes based on your input:
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-49-22-8510-Right-Angle-Attachment/dp/B000BYEJ02/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341759669&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=milwalke+angle+driver
Nice. Will that work in any drill bit chuck?

drano38 said:

Thanks. I believe I ordered them June 5th or 6th and they took about 4 weeks, if black adonized.

drano38 said:

Yeah, that should work great. My device only cost 20 bucks.

ace72ace said:
Guess you could also install them when swapping brake and clutch lines so that the middle pedals can hit the floor to improve the angle? I will be doing this, and let you know.

Pressing the gas to the floor requires some sort of intervention like opening the master cylinder I suppose, but pressing the clutch to the floor is relatively simple with one hand, while drilling with the other. I, indeed, tried this, but the angle is still off. Do yourself a favor, avoid the frustration, and spend the $20 on a 90 degree drill accessory.

5 DOT 0 said:
drano38 said:

Nice. Will that work in any drill bit chuck?

Here's mine, the one I got from Home Depot for $20. It should work in any chuck.
http://www.woodcraft.com/PRODUCT/2005182/6538/HEAVY-DUTY-90-DRILL-ATTACHMENT.ASPX?refcode=10INGOPB&gclid=CJ3_0c_mirECFcua7QodNVqzyA

ace72ace

Seems like a reasonable amount to spend on a specialty tool. Think I'll pick one up when I get my strap wrench for the MGW install. Thanks for the advice.

ace72ace

drano38 said:

Ordered mine June 11th, shipped July 5th, will be here on July 10th. Also went with black anodized which adds to the overall turn around time.

Found these for $60 from Late Model Restoration. http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/SRP-S2458STD4/Mustang-Plain-Satin-Finish-4Pc-Pedal-Kit-For-Manual-TransmissionThey only have the satin finish which worked well for me. Anyway I ran into a problem with the brake and clutch pedal. The 3 countersunk screw holes were too close to the center. The metal behind my pedal curves in for brake and clutch and it looks like I really need to put the crews it towards the outer edge. I had install instructions as well as this article http://v6mustangperformance.com/modifications/interior/racing-pedals-installation/
I could see from the article that these pedal covers had the holes significantly further out than what I got. Now the article says they got their pedals from Late Model Rest. also and the box I received was from Sullivan and it said 2005-2013 [P/N SRP-S2458STD4]. Anyway I thought about returning these, bu had already put in the go pedal and dead foot, so I ended up adding a new hole to the bottom of each of these 2 pedals and countersinking them. In the end the whole job took just over an hour. By the way I used a 90 deg DeWalt drill with new 1/16" bits to start the holes and followed with a 3/16" as per instructions. I also noted that the screw which holds the go pedal on is a T-25 torx not an Allen head as per instructions. No walking at all and I did not even start with a center punch. The other tip that seemed to help was to put masking tape on the pedals which helped to see the mark better as well as helped hold the position of the drill when starting the holes.

I'm glad to finally get a dead foot pedal in the car plus I believe these will improve my limited heel toe skills, plus I like the way they look. Definitely a worthwhile, low cost mod IMO.

Here's a close up of the clutch pedal, you can see the original lower countersunk hole way above the new one I drilled which has the lower screw .

100_0707_zps32a5ff8c.jpg

Here's another pic as well as the drill I used which I think along with new sharp bits made this go so fast as it did.

100_0708_zps8f1650c9.jpg

100_0710_zpsc883c0ec.jpg

Nice, I see you went with the semi fat gas pedal. To make the fatter one work, you really need race shoes to avoid hitting the gas. I have to warn the dealer about this every time I leave the car there.

further said:
Nice, I see you went with the semi fat gas pedal. To make the fatter one work, you really need race shoes to avoid hitting the gas. I have to warn the dealer about this every time I leave the car there.
A friend of mine has custom SRP pedals and he had his brake pedal made 1" wider so it's a 1/2" wider on either side. I may go that route.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel