The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sullivan Aluminium Pedals

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Boss_302 said:
Here's a picture of mine installed

DSCN0869.jpg

How long did it take for these to ship? The web site states the following for the black ones you have;

If you have ordered any of the anodized options, please allow 2-4 weeks for your pedals to be shipped.

Unlike the MGW, I'm not too keen on waiting 4 weeks...

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Mine took about 2 weeks. If you call Brian will tell you what production run you will be in.

ace72ace

Called and talked to him, seems like a really good guy. After debating about the added delay for the anodizing, I decided to just go for it. It was my 'last hurrah' for the big list of mods on top of the Boss itself. So there goes any schwag for Father's Day, Birthday, or Xmas, I've spent enough already. :) If I have to go ahead and install these without the hydraulic system being depressurized, no biggie.

I asked him about the durability of the black anodized finish and he said that he's yet to receive a single complaint. He added that if I happen to experience enough wear that would warrant a refinish, he said to call him back and make arrangement for a re-coating.

It's small, family run businesses like this that care about their customers and produce a quality product (much like MGW) will get my dollars every time.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I had the same good experience with Brian via emails also. Mom and Pop shops rule !

you guys inspi(red) me...I finally got off my ass and installed them today. turns out, I've had them for longer than 6 months...I've had them for 14 months...2 months longer than I've had my boss ;-)

I kept reading the horror stories and putting it off...turns out, it's not that bad.

as Pete mentioned, the gas pedal is easy if you remove the pedal assembly from the car. I used one bolt up top and three screws down low. Dead pedal, easy. turns out, the clutch and brake weren't so bad. after removing the covers, I saw a hole, already drilled into the pedals, near the top and dead center. I had to drill it out to 3/8th's, but that was easy. then installed a bolt and mounted the pedal...then just found a couple other places to drill - with the pedals in place...started with 1/8th, them went to 3/8th...voila. the hardest part is keeping a wrench on the nut when tightening the bolt. certainly nothing to procrastinate 14 12 months over. I'm going to stop procrastinating some day.

A little know fact that I learned, since it was super hot today (remind me to do these projects in the winter next time and to see my earlier note about procrastinating) is that the alcantara steering wheel makes a fantastic - if unintended - headband on which to wipe sweat from one's brow when you're leaning into the floorwell.

TheMarco said:
CaliMR said:
but I have found the Puma non-FIA (ie non-fire rated) driving shoes for as low as $20 so they might be worth trying if you are having issues with the pedals. A lot cheaper than new pedals.

Where did you find Puma driving shoes that cheap? I'll take a few pairs at that price!

Local Footlocker. They aren't FIA rated, they are just the driving shoe style shoes, but they work fine. I don't like using my FIA shoes off the track because they wear out quickly if you walk around in them a lot. Just happened to catch a sale.

Quick google search showed some in the $35-40 range. Cheap mod imo, makes driving much better vs regular sport shoes.

drano38

Wayne
For the ignorant, is Sullivan http://www.srpracing.com/default.cfm?

After Track Attack I may have to order a set. Will need to decide on color and surface finish--black/silver look cool, but I never actually see my pedals anyway, so I guess it just doesn't matter what color they are.
Any opinions on grid versis block surface?

overexposed pics attached.
I use the grid style. I also went with full-black...I've only ever had silver ones before.
I also tried the grid style go pedal...though I've used the smooth ones in the past. I had a chat with the SRP guy when I ordered them and he encouraged me to try something different this time...suggesting that if I didn't like it he'd send me a new smooth go pedal. So I'm trying it. went for a spin last night and I don't care what kinda pedals you have, it's still hard to throttle blip in flip flops ;-)

no, actually, I threw on my piloti driving shoes (prototipos) for running out to pick up my daughter from soccer last night, and confirmed what I already knew...good pedals matter...and I should have installed these a long time ago.

fwiw, the prototipos are a decent shoe - if they fit your feet - not made anymore so you can find them floating around at good prices. I like them for a 'driving' shoe, but prefer something a) thinner and b) FIA-spec fire resistance for track use...I use a Sparco mid-top for that.

Here are mine.

New%2520Boss%2520Pedals-3.jpg

New%2520Boss%2520Pedals-2.jpg

They are grid texture. In hindsight a slightly smaller gas pedal would have worked. No worries though, the Boss cuts the gas if you step on the brake and gas at the same time.

BossJockey said:
They are grid texture. In hindsight a slightly smaller gas pedal would have worked. No worries though, the Boss cuts the gas if you step on the brake and gas at the same time.

Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Are you sure about it cutting the gas if you step on the brake and gas pedals at the same time?

If that were the case, I wouldn't be able to "heel toe" downshift my Boss which I've done many times.

I've only noticed that happening on other vehicles with automatic transmissions.

George

VTBoss302 said:
BossJockey said:

Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Are you sure about it cutting the gas if you step on the brake and gas pedals at the same time?

If that were the case, I wouldn't be able to "heel toe" downshift my Boss which I've done many times.

I've only noticed that happening on other vehicles with automatic transmissions.

George

It cuts the gas if the clutch pedal is not depress.

It cuts the gas if the clutch pedal is not depress.
[/quote]

Well, thankfully, my Boss does not do this.

Otherwise, it would be impossible to do a proper double clutch heel toe downshift.

George

drano38

Wayne
OK, I'm ready to order a set (Black/Silver grid), but first a couple questions.

I've read other places the gas pedal should be smooth so we can slide our foot over it. True/false/simply opionion?
And what about the dead pedal? Seems texture would help keep the foot planted--like carpet does. Or is smooth helpful as our foot slides on and off it for shifting gears?
Please post your experinces and I'll jamb an order in before I fly out tomarrow for Track Attrack.
Thanks

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Dead mans should not be smooth. Gas is up to you. The way that I do heel toe I like it who is a texture and not smooth.

drano38

Wayne
Brain returned my call. Great guy to work with. Has that "customer is always right" attitude.
Went with no-border black/silver, grid on dead pedal, clutch, brake. Smooth, normal sized gas pedal.
Can't wait to get them and installed.
I'll also order one of those clutch extensions. Two BMW school instructors say I sit too close to the wheel, but I need it for solid clutch. So the extension helps (and makes the Sullivan pedal install easy).
Great post. And another mod logged off the list.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
The clutch pedal extension was a life saver for me. I'm only 5' 6", so the clutch was a big issue, especially since our brake sits so high in relation to it. I sit pretty damn close to the steering wheel anyway but before I was actually extending my left hip for the clutch which was a real PITA ;D I love the gas pedal with the extension, for me it makes heel/toe so much easier, the only thing is you do need to be careful since the brake and gas are so close I found myself hitting both a couple of times if my footwork gets too sloppy (I.E. On the street just cruising...)

ace72ace

PeteInCT said:
Dead mans should not be smooth. Gas is up to you. The way that I do heel toe I like it who is a texture and not smooth.

To each his own. If the gas should be smooth to facilitate sliding over to the brake, why shouldn't that same logic apply from dead man's to clutch? Just curious about your use of the word 'should'. Why?

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Read my post again. I was referring to the dead man's pedal. As for clutch and brake, if a smooth surface floats your boat then go with it. I prefer not to use smooth pedals, primarily because of wet track conditions.

ace72ace

PeteInCT said:
Read my post again. I was referring to the dead man's pedal. As for clutch and brake, if a smooth surface floats your boat then go with it. I prefer not to use smooth pedals, primarily because of wet track conditions.

Read my post again. ;)

I even bolded your quote to highlight the fact that you prefer a non-smooth (grid) dead man's and gas. To which I then stated;

If the gas should be smooth to facilitate sliding over to the brake (grid), why shouldn't that same logic apply from dead man's (smooth) to (grid) clutch? I was just saying that to me it made sense to go from smooth to rough from each direction.

Was just looking for some insight from someone who races, so you addressed that by citing the wet track. Thanks. Could you use one of those man made chamois type cloths to dry the sole of your shoes after you climb into your car? I'm not trying to say my own preference is 'the right' one at all. If I try the smooth dead man's and find that I would prefer changing to the grid, I'll post back again and say your way works better...

TMO Supporting Vendors