The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The price of 93 is getting high

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
With 93 well over 4 bucks a gallon here I am going to switch back to E85 this weekend. It has got to the point where it will cost the same to run it vs the 93. right now I can pick up E85 here for 3.22 and "good" 93 is going from 4.09 and up around here. so I figure for the 28% or so loss in MPG running the E85 and the 30% price gap between the two I should come out about even on Miles Per Dollar. and running E85 is just all around better. the car runs smoother and pulls like a raped ape to 8200.

I got orders to go to Indianapolis, IN in aug and I did a quick check and they have E85 pumps all over the place there so I cant wait to move there :)

So if anyone in the area wants to swing by on sat and see the process to make the swap let me know. there will be a E85 test drive on the way home :)

Justin

byronj said:
At least youre not paying over $4.50 a gallon for 91. I was pretty upset today when I had to get gas before work. WTF damn gas companies.
how much is E85 in your area? if you can get it I would go that route. you have to upgrade to bigger injectors and get a tune from AED or elsewhere but its worth it in the long run. unless you are worried about a warranty then stick with 93 and trackey

Tulsa, OK
I've been running E85 exclusively here in OK for the last few months. Prices have been anywhere from $2.75 to $3.15 at the moment. Still significantly cheaper than 91 (highest we get here). Just as you are experiencing, it is finally about to the point where running E85 is the same total cost as running premium gasoline.

I'm ready for some warm weather so the tanks around here actually start carrying true E85 rather than E70 winter blends. The winter blends do help tremendously with cold starts though. When I was datalogging with Shaun @ AED, I was using an exact mix of E85 in about 34 degree weather and my car was struggling to start. He mentioned if it dropped too much colder with that blend my car would just flat out not start.

Paid $4.25 a gallon yesterday for 93. I will continue to pay for 93 and on the news today they said the prices should start to drop so let's see if that is true as it is digging deeper in the wallet.

Justin

roadhouse said:
I've been running E85 exclusively here in OK for the last few months. Prices have been anywhere from $2.75 to $3.15 at the moment. Still significantly cheaper than 91 (highest we get here). Just as you are experiencing, it is finally about to the point where running E85 is the same total cost as running premium gasoline.

I'm ready for some warm weather so the tanks around here actually start carrying true E85 rather than E70 winter blends. The winter blends to help tremendously with cold starts though. When I was datalogging with Shaun @ AED, I was using an exact mix of E85 in about 34 degree weather and my car was struggling to start. He mentioned if it dropped too much colder with that blend my car would just flat out not start.
yeah I was running it in the summer and it started to get colder here and the price of 93 was pretty low so I switched back as I wasnt getting traction anyways so no need for the E85 tune. now that its warming up a little and the price of 93 is just getting out of hand I am going to swap back.

I am seeing 93 prices between $4.39 and $4.64 today. I can't imagine what they will be this summer.

On the bright side, this Boss's mileage is 2 to 3 times better than the cars it replaced.

Bay Area
Justin said:
how much is E85 in your area? if you can get it I would go that route. you have to upgrade to bigger injectors and get a tune from AED or elsewhere but its worth it in the long run. unless you are worried about a warranty then stick with 93 and trackey

I dont even know where we would have E85 in SoCal.

OrangeBoss said:
I am seeing 93 prices between $4.39 and $4.64 today. I can't imagine what they will be this summer.
:eek:

I paid $3.40 for 93 this morning. Thanks to a Costco vs SAM's price war. Most stations are charging around $3.85 for 93.

Gas prices usually rise in late winter and early spring as refiners close for maintenance and switch to more expensive summer blends. The price of gas peaked last year on April 5.

Tulsa, OK
gsw166 said:
Dumb question, but can we run E85 without any modifications?

You will need 47 lb injectors and an E85 specific tune if you have any type of modifications.

I'm not sure about bosses specifically and how they may differ from GTs in this regard, but I know GTs can run E85 with factory injectors and a tune only if they are stock. In stock fashion with E85 the injectors are sufficient but the duty cycle will be close to maxed out and will run out of fuel with any type of modifications.

i definitely felt the price hike when i filled up for $55 yesterday. Didn't like it one bit, but i forgot about it as soon as i drove off the gas station lot lol.

Justin

roadhouse said:
You will need 47 lb injectors and an E85 specific tune if you have any type of modifications.

I'm not sure about bosses specifically and how they may differ from GTs in this regard, but I know GTs can run E85 with factory injectors and a tune only if they are stock. In stock fashion with E85 the injectors are sufficient but the duty cycle will be close to maxed out and will run out of fuel with any type of modifications.
the bosses need the bigger injectors pretty sure stock or not.

I love the look people give you when filling up with E85 at the gas station. had a guy in a mustang come up to me and tell me "you know thats E85 right?" lol

Tulsa, OK
Justin said:
the bosses need the bigger injectors pretty sure stock or not.

I love the look people give you when filling up with E85 at the gas station. had a guy in a mustang come up to me and tell me "you know thats E85 right?" lol

That's kind of what I was thinking. Most reputable tuners require the injectors regardless.

Haha that's pretty funny. I've had some weird looks but no comments yet. I do love the sweet smell :)

OrangeBoss said:

I frikken wish. It's $6.64 a gallon here in Canada for 94 octane at chevron. Mind you, we dont have that sissy gallon you do. :p ours is 4.55 litres, Yours is like 3.78 or something. Our pumps sell by the litre, its $1.46 a litre for 94.

GA
NewBossowner said:
I frikken wish. It's $6.64 a gallon here in Canada for 94 octane at chevron. Mind you, we dont have that sissy gallon you do. :p ours is 4.55 litres, Yours is like 3.78 or something. Our pumps sell by the litre, its $1.46 a litre for 94.

Ah, so that's where the "free" healthcare comes from. That would explain why our gas prices are going up. ::)

TMO Supporting Vendors