The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The Road America Track Day War Story! (brake failures, transmission failures, poor judgment calls, bad luck, you name it!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Settle down, kids. This story is about will power, dedication, determination, resolution, and commitment. And yes, these are all synonyms... but theres a reason

This was REALLY f***ing difficult.

It starts on a smokey North Carolina day... Canada decided to burn itself and send its smoke south in a chemical attack against the United States, victimizing our lungs, eyes, and visibility for the whole trip to Indianapolis, culminating in a massive rain storm. We spend the night with my co-drivers relatives in Indianapolis this evening.

We viewed historical artifacts from the Civil War that night and noted a full moon, both potential causes for our hexed trip.

We leave Indianapolis and realize the gas station is only a station, as it has no gas. No bother, we have enough... on to Champaign-Urbana...

Champaign-Urbana does not have a fully functional building. I need to take a leak, amd the car needs gas. Since cars dont run on urine, I need to find a place....

Stop 1) no power, all employees outside... my bladder is relaxing and it cant go!

Stop 2) only gas, no attendant, no building... onwards...

Stop 3) gas, but no functional bathroom...

Run over the highway to Stop 4), restaurant with no functional mens room nor a functional a/c... well at this point I can be a woman long enough to use this single stall bathroom.... and my co-driver may never admit it, but "they" also used it.

On to Route 66... and onwards to Chicago. Spitting rain and cloudy skies follow us.

We meet up with my co-drivers best friend from High School... however, someone forgot to mark us as friendlys on the attack mutts radar and my co-driver is bitten! Not badly, but blood is drawn, and after a fainting spell, we decide it's better safe and off to urgent care!! Dog attack forms are filled out, bodies are examined... and we are off to a pharmacy with a pizza in tow for a tetanus shot....

The next day sees a smooth and beautiful ride to Elkhart Lake. We survey the track, check out the original street circuit, and return to the hotel... where in the late afternoon hours, my co-driver wants to check how the communicator system, hans, harness, and helmets all interact. I begrudgingly give up time watching tv and relaxing for this, and discover the RIGHT REAR BRAKE LINE IS LEAKING!!! I begin a rushed yet careful to maintain stopping distance run to Milwaukee where I figure surely someone will have a brake line... and they do! We provide pre-firework entertainment to a crowd gathered as the sunsets, as they watch me swap a brake line and direct a bleeding procedure... but I am paranoid of the other line, and we flee deeper into town for a second line for the other side, which we would replace the next morning.

In session 1, the first brake line ruptures entering T3! Fortunately, I was taking it easy with freshly bled brakes, and it would be discovered it rubbed thru when I swapped to smaller diameter race track wheels. I had installed the new line "upside down" and excess hose was hanging up where the 19" street wheels never hit it, but the 18" track wheels rubbed through... chock one up to a poor judgment call made in a hasty replacement the night before.

I scour the paddock, desperately crying for brake lines. I find 2 sets for other cars, hoping just to find something I can drive home on... no works. I find a front set for S197... (the kind with the little round banjo thing) they work! Alas, they are long, and I carefully route and wire tie off everything... we can drive home, but I decide a careful session will be had before ruling out the day...

I roll to grid only a minute or so late, and proceed to track. The outlap is okay, I step it up for lap 2... lap 3 is going well....

But exiting carousel, tragedy strikes... on the upshift to 4th, the automatic transmission locks up, apparently going to 1st, and with rear tires locked, I slide off the track, later limping to the paddock....

We let the car cool and swap tires. We look at rental rates for a tow truck home. They are closed, and expensive anyway....

We take the car for a stroll to town, where it makes one big hiccup before allowing us more or less unimpeded use of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. At 4000 rpms, we can run about 55 mph....

We pack everything, anticipating a drive to the hotel and the rent a vehicle tomorrow, but the most brazen of ideas occurs to me... speed limits are low in construction in the cities, I know some back roads and have maps... so I propose a wild idea to my co-driver.... lets limp to Indy, where truck rentals are $600 cheaper, and if we can't make it, perhaps the attack mutt in Chicago has his radar flipped and we can rest for help there... we decide to go for Indy and potentially rent a truck tomorrow, and see how the car acts along the way.

I give a sob story at the hotel, getting us out of a night's rental on the hotel, and we proceed south at 50 mph... brakes working, engine screaming, the anticipation of when or if the car will die at any moment and where it may strand us...

We are thru Milwaukee... on to Chicago... and Chicago is FLOODING! Our phones receive warning messages not to travel, several roads are closing and impassable... so we limp around the suburbs... we limp thru Indiana.... but quick and heavy interstate commerce is making me feel unsafe limping along at 50ish mph, so I resort to some backroads through Indiana. We encounter a closed back road and end up limping back to the interstate, but its getting late, and traffic is lighter... we make Indianapolis by 10:30 p.m.

We must also thank said co-drivers relatives, who graciously hosted us not just Thursday, buying us dinner, but allowing us a late night arrival at their home before buying us breakfast at Cracker Barrel before sending us on our way with well wishes for a safe return home.

The transmission holds 1st gear for a long time before resuming normal operation thru 3 gears each time it is restarted. We resolve to keep the car idling, one of us standing guard over the wounded Mustang each time we stop for gas or a potty break, and we make Beckley. We noted a bad rotten egg smell at each stop, and upon shutting the car off, all power is lost... its as if it doesnt even have a battery. I had a spare, which is as dead as the original! We got the "spare" battery jumped, but noted that it smelled even worse than the original. I buy a replacement battery in Stuart, VA... only 150 miles home or so....

With rotten egg sulfur fumes clearing out of our lungs, we proceed home ... I finally have an emotional breakdown talking to my dad on the phone outside Martinsville, Va on a backroad selected to keep us off the busy 40/85 corrider in NC... the co-driver takes over.... but we limp onward, where we narrowly miss hitting deer and HORSES (yes, HORSES along the full moon lit road)...

But after 2300 drama filled miles, the car was at my parents... it had done what no one, save myself, anticipated it may do... it had limped home, after 2 brake failures and a transmission failure AND a battery failure... and somehow arrived safely...

And now the rebuilding saga begins. A drive to Georgia for a transmission/engine combo revealed a cracked block in a potential replacement, a crack in the threaded holes where the mounfs would rest. We did negotiate and take just a transmission...

...and to add insult to injuries, the ignition coil dies in dads pickup 3 miles from home, and we wait 2 hours for a tow truck to tow us in.... that was definitely a bad omen for transmussion #1, which didnt work, because...

....it's a 2016 transmission... and as it turns out, those don't work with a Gen 1 car.... so I end up getting an LKQ transmission and that guy of course isn't interested in buying his crap back, so that was all just a learning experience. I was told confidently an $800 valve body will make it better, but I am not interested in putting that into an unknown transmission, and coincdentally, a used transmission thru LKQ from a 30k mile convertible car can be found for $600 with a one year warranty. And 18 days after the car limped to my parents, it left with another transmission.... and a wild story of the most expensive 4 laps of a track event I've run in my whole life....

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Your luck is worse than mine. Happy to hear you were able to limp home. These types of horror stories are why I bought a trailer. When the car has issues I already know how it is getting home.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
So what so yall do when your tow vehicles break? I need to edit in how the coils died in dads truck on the way home with that 1st transmission
Nothing is fool proof, but the odds of both vehicles breaking down are much lower than breaking something on track. I live in East Tennessee and have driven my car as far as Sebring. After a couple of close calls on track I feel much better towing it. It is also easier to take what I need with the 8ft bed on the truck. Driving the mustang to the track for a weekend with my wife was an exercise in packing efficiency. It is amazing how little room there is left in the mustang after she packs her "essentials". Now I can take the appropriate tools and even a spare set of wheels. When my car wast hit on track at CMP in October it was much easier to load it up and take it home Sunday than to drive home in the rain with no passenger side window and a door that wouldn't open. The frustration it saved me from the lecture I would have gotten on the 4 hour drive home after making her Duke's of Hazzard it in through the window alone is worth the cost of the trailer.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Stockton, CA
Wow, that was a crazy story, thanks for sharing! Glad you finally made it home safe. I'm with EF1 and BS1 on the trailer situation. Hell, I even U-hauled it my first two seasons before buying my own trailer. There are way too many things that will break on a car just from simple street driving, let alone the abuse we put these things through. Trailers are actually not too bad an investment, they don't depreciate the way a car does.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
UHaul trailers are a good way to go if you only need a trailer occasionally or want to see if you like trailering you car to the track. I tried them a couple of times and would have continued to use them if I had a reliable UHaul dealer. The last time I reserved one they gave my trailer away and I ended up driving the car at the last minute. It was not packed properly, so my wife had to drive separately to avoid repacking and leaving a bunch of things at home. Driving 4 hours to the track on 200 tw tires isn't fun in the rain.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Stockton, CA
UHaul trailers are a good way to go if you only need a trailer occasionally or want to see if you like trailering you car to the track. I tried them a couple of times and would have continued to use them if I had a reliable UHaul dealer. The last time I reserved one they gave my trailer away and I ended up driving the car at the last minute. It was not packed properly, so my wife had to drive separately to avoid repacking and leaving a bunch of things at home. Driving 4 hours to the track on 200 tw tires isn't fun in the rain.
Yeah, the last time I used a Uhaul was summer of 2020 when those knuckleheads they gave my reservation away. The following month I went and bought a new trailer. Renting anything is definitely not a long term solution.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Wow, that's a story for the ages. Glad you're physically okay, even though it sounds like it took a mental toll on you. Car parts can be replaced, people not so much. Gotta say, I think all that bad luck karma evened out with being fortunate that the transmission seized up on the straight before the kink where there's plenty of runoff, instead of right after the kink where you're doing 25-30mph more and there's a concrete wall a few feet away.

Good luck with the repairs, looking forward to seeing them in your build thread. Maybe you've still got some karma credit and things will go smoothly from here on.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
But after 2300 drama filled miles, the car was at my parents... it had done what no one, save myself, anticipated it may do... it had limped home, after 2 brake failures and a transmission failure AND a battery failure... and somehow arrived safely...
Ford's are like gypsies they never git sick only dying. In other words you were saved by the gypsies proficies that if is not dead it's going to take you where you want to go. This is the beauty of an old Ford. I had a friend who had a very lovely Sierra long time ago with broken transmission the f***ing thing get him home parked upfront and then f***ing didn't started anymore it was dead. But it didn't leave him on the road. It's very annoying experience. Hope you will rebuild it better and next time take better pre track inspection ;)

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Wow, that's a story for the ages. Glad you're physically okay, even though it sounds like it took a mental toll on you. Car parts can be replaced, people not so much. Gotta say, I think all that bad luck karma evened out with being fortunate that the transmission seized up on the straight before the kink where there's plenty of runoff, instead of right after the kink where you're doing 25-30mph more and there's a concrete wall a few feet away.

Good luck with the repairs, looking forward to seeing them in your build thread. Maybe you've still got some karma credit and things will go smoothly from here on.
I'm worried that my 50 events up to this point used up all my karma!

TMO Supporting Vendors