The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tiger racing hood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a tiger racing hood for my boss but I'm a little torn on which I want fiberglass or carbon. I like the weight of the carbon obviously... The price not so much. I'm also curious about using the carbon hood for a lot of street use (the cars my daily)? And I know the carbon hood needs more prep to get straight but do you have to heat cycle it like the fiberglass?

Thanks
Kody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
DO NOT buy the carbon hood for the street. You will not be able to get it cosmetically correct.

The FG version is 20lbs and pretty easy to deal with, not to mention cheaper.

ArizonaGT said:
DO NOT buy the carbon hood for the street. You will not be able to get it cosmetically correct.

The FG version is 20lbs and pretty easy to deal with, not to mention cheaper.
+1 I've been very happy with the FG version and I track my car as much as I drive it on the street.

What is the weight savings like with the fiberglass?

And is the carbon hood THAT bad fitment wise?

kody said:
What is the weight savings like with the fiberglass?

And is the carbon hood THAT bad fitment wise?

The FG hood saves you ~17 lbs over the stock aluminum hood. The CF hood is ~12lbs so 7-8 lbs lighter than the FG.

I guess the fiberglass has more bang for the buck than I thought. I was thinking it wasn't much lighter than stock. And I am correct about having to heat cycle and bake the fiberglass hood correct?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
It's not the fitment on the carbon hood that's the problem, it's the paint prep. Tiger and the distributors specifically warn that the finish of the hood is not intended to be good enough for the street since they are going for maximum weight savings. That's not to say it can't be done, but you're going to chew up a lot of cash getting it right.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I got my hood unpainted second-hand so I couldn't comment. Didn't do anything special to it before paint, though...just bolted it on and drove the car over.

ArizonaGT said:
It's not the fitment on the carbon hood that's the problem, it's the paint prep. Tiger and the distributors specifically warn that the finish of the hood is not intended to be good enough for the street since they are going for maximum weight savings. That's not to say it can't be done, but you're going to chew up a lot of cash getting it right.

Gotcha, I wish I could see how bad it is in person. I have a friend who does very good paint work and I think if I helped I could get it done for fairly reasonable but I can't say without seeing it.

Unless you really want the extra 7 pound weight savings I wouldn't blow the extra 500 or whatever it is for the carbon hood. As far as the hood prep for the FG version I too didn't do anything special and am very happy with the results.

We're happy the FB tiger hood on our www.sevenforgewheels.com boss build. We would recommended the hood be heat cycled first. Ours was perfect when fitted then after paint the hood expanded a little. We used shim to balance it out. We were going to do carbon one but for the price it's not worth it. The hood is already expensive and with paint it get up there into a $2000 + mod.

9613524406_89bf7139d5_b.jpg

I think I'm gonna just pick up a FG hood. Now I just gotta figure what I want first, my WC splitter or the hood!

I may actually do that. I'd really like to have a LS splitter but I'm not paying that much for an extra inch.

Blue Boss RS said:
We're happy the FB tiger hood on our www.sevenforgewheels.com boss build. We would recommended the hood be heat cycled first. Ours was perfect when fitted then after paint the hood expanded a little. We used shim to balance it out. We were going to do carbon one but for the price it's not worth it. The hood is already expensive and with paint it get up there into a $2000 + mod.

9613524406_89bf7139d5_b.jpg

Does anyone know if the Tiger Hood (CF) works with the CJ intake/TB setup?
I understand it requires a bit of fitment to clear the larger intake, etc. & would like to know if anyone has done this.
Thanks in advance,
Lee.

TMO Supporting Vendors