The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire choices for 18x10.5" Enkei wheel

I noticed most of you guys running the 18x10.5" rear wheel are running a 305/35/18 tire. Will a 285 fit without compromising handling? I ask because I'm not ready to make the leap to R Compounds yet, I will probably do one season of HPDE on street tires. However, the tires I want to try the NT555 or Dunlop Star Spec don't come in these mega widths. Having said that are there any other decently priced semi sticky street tire recommendations?
 

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
6,082
3,068
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Illinois
I went with Nitto 295-35 18. NT-05s.

Mounted them the day before I flew to Afghanistan. Felt good on the road. No track time yet.

I had the wheels powder coated gloss black. :)
 
fduboss302 said:
I noticed most of you guys running the 18x10.5" rear wheel are running a 305/35/18 tire. Will a 285 fit without compromising handling? I ask because I'm not ready to make the leap to R Compounds yet, I will probably do one season of HPDE on street tires. However, the tires I want to try the NT555 or Dunlop Star Spec don't come in these mega widths. Having said that are there any other decently priced semi sticky street tire recommendations?
They fit on a 9.5-11" rim. Always check the mfrs specs ;)
http://mobile.nittotire.com/tires/nt05/specs?sn=207-140
 
1,022
97
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
TMSBOSS said:
I went with Nitto 295-35 18. NT-05s.

Mounted them the day before I flew to Afghanistan. Felt good on the road. No track time yet.

I had the wheels powder coated gloss black. :)

I am currently in RC North. I haven't had a chance to mount my wheels yet either but I'll be taking it to the track when I go on R&R.
 
Flyboygsxr said:
I went with 295/30/ZR18 Toyo R888...I have heard that the 305's stick out past the fender a little bit so I went with a 295.
They do stick out just slightly but they won't rub even under the harshest track conditions. They are taller so fill out the wheel well a little better. However, I think the 305/35 feels a little tall for the Boss gearing when matched with the 275/35 front. I think you'll be very happy with the 295/30.
 
fduboss302 said:
I noticed most of you guys running the 18x10.5" rear wheel are running a 305/35/18 tire. Will a 285 fit without compromising handling? I ask because I'm not ready to make the leap to R Compounds yet, I will probably do one season of HPDE on street tires. However, the tires I want to try the NT555 or Dunlop Star Spec don't come in these mega widths. Having said that are there any other decently priced semi sticky street tire recommendations?
I'm planning on purchasing the Enkei's in 10.5 and 9.5 widths. For a street tire for the track I've got it narrowed down to the NT05's or Michelin PSS. The PSS only come in a 285 width and I'll go with them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Super+Sport&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=54YR8PSSXL&tab=Sizes

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Super+Sport&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=835YR8PSSXL&tab=Specs
 

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
6,082
3,068
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Illinois
Flyboygsxr said:
TMSBOSS said:
I went with Nitto 295-35 18. NT-05s.

Mounted them the day before I flew to Afghanistan. Felt good on the road. No track time yet.

I had the wheels powder coated gloss black. :)

I am currently in RC North. I haven't had a chance to mount my wheels yet either but I'll be taking it to the track when I go on R&R.

I thought I saw where you were planning a trip to the ring. Perfect plan for after the Stan.

I work out of south. KAF.

Stay safe!!!
 
1,022
97
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
TMSBOSS said:
Flyboygsxr said:
TMSBOSS said:
I went with Nitto 295-35 18. NT-05s.

Mounted them the day before I flew to Afghanistan. Felt good on the road. No track time yet.

I had the wheels powder coated gloss black. :)

I am currently in RC North. I haven't had a chance to mount my wheels yet either but I'll be taking it to the track when I go on R&R.

I thought I saw where you were planning a trip to the ring. Perfect plan for after the Stan.

I work out of south. KAF.

Stay safe!!!

Yeah, I am stationed in Germany so I have been there a couple of times in the Boss. It's a blast and I'm PCS'ing after I leave so I probably will never have a chance to do the ring in the Boss again.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top