The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Attack for Experienced Drivers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serious question: Is the Track Attack program worth attending for people that have been tracking their cars for over 10 years?

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be fun, especially going to a track I've never been to, but the trip from Florida is going to be pricey. I can't imagine the 'free' day adding a lot of value to my driving technique or improving my lap time and the follow-on day price would buy a lot of track time, or even a private coach.

It'll be especially difficult for us, as both my wife and I are track junkies, but I'm sure they'll only let one of us into the program.

For those with prior track experience and attended the Boss Track Attack, what do you think?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I'd say that depends on your level of driving. If you can't learn anything with a pro coaching you from the passenger seat...then probably not worth it. They let us have one guest, just not for free.

I did not have a 'solid' 10 years of driving, but I did start with some SCCA schools in the late 80's. It was totally worth it for me.

Sure, it's pricey once you start adding a guest, tacking on a second day, and upgrading to the FR500S, but I have zero regrets about the added expense.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
I attended the Boss Track Attack, and went back to do the Ford Racing Competition Licensing program. It's a fantastic facility and the standard of instructing is very high, plus you get to run with a bunch of other Mustang owners in identical cars. Yes you get to do some basic stuff, like oversteer/understeer in a Fusion with outriggers, but I'm going back in a heartbeat.

If you go, be sure to sign up for day 2 in the Boss 302FRS. In terms of cost, I tracked (pun intended) consumables (Brakes, Tires, Oil, Track fees) and 2 days at Track Attack is no more costly than 2 days at the Track with your own car.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Agreed with BB. You probably won't get much from the fundamentals but the overall experience is great and you will get to experience a different (and very well-maintained) track and facility.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Agreed with BB. You probably won't get much from the fundamentals but the overall experience is great and you will get to experience a different (and very well-maintained) track and facility.
+3 ;D When I booked with Bill we talked about this and they will tailor the instruction to your experience and driving ability. He mentioned they recently had a Le Mans champion come through their school, and I'm pretty sure if he can learn something, we all can :) When I went to Boss Track Attack, I had already been through several driving schools and had years of track experience and I learned more there than anywhere else.

My belief is that you can always learn something every time out. I'm a big believer in instruction / schools. Sure, you've got to consider costs, but prep and consumables on your own car rack up fast. That track - both sides - are an absolute blast...one of my favorite tracks...and the whole Boss event was really well-done.

In my opinion it is not for experienced drivers. I did the Boss Trakattack and it was a let down for me. I spoke to some who felt the same way. I would definitely recommend it if you have very little to no experience on track.

For me it was a financial decision to skip the Boss Attack. To make it worthwhile, I had to consider signing up for the FR500S day as well, and that just sky rocketed the price (taking into consideration flight and lodging charges). IMO, if you want the experience and can afford it, go for it. You'll probably get some freebies (e.g. gloves and a trophy :p)... But with the same amount, you could possibly do 4-6 weekends (not taking consumables into account).

Going to GT350 Track Attack? Pricey.

Going to GT350 Track Attack with TMO members and friends? Priceless!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I went to the BTA and learned a lot....why, I knew so little. My brother went along as a guest. We did the two day package.

I had a great time. Miller is a technical thinkers track.

If you are looking at TA as a learning experience only, there are cheaper alternatives.

If you see the Track Attack as an "Experience" You will not be disappointed.

I measured my bottom line in enjoyment.

With that in mind....I got a great deal!!!

VoodooBOSS said:
Going to GT350 Track Attack? Pricey.

Going to GT350 Track Attack with TMO members and friends? Priceless!
I met some of my best track buddies at Boss Track Attack, am heading back there with even more of them, and will likely meet some new ones this time. :)

MA
bucket list item for sure. a must do in my opinion, its one of those opportunites in life that is more valuable than the $ spent.

I really appreciate all of the responses.

We're definitely leaning towards going. I think she'll end up doing the GT350 school and I'll do the 302FRS school the following day.

TMO Supporting Vendors