The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track day insurance questions

I am planning on flying to Utah when I get home to attend the Boss track day in a few months. While I have been to track days and drags before, it was only as a spectator. This will be my first time on a track. (unless a week on the driving range/skid pad in the academy counts. lol) While on the website for the track day I saw an option of buying insurance on the car for the day. Cant remember the price 150.00ish I think? for a 5,000 deductable and all expenses covered after that. That got me to thinking. I would love to switch out my tires and go to some tack events locally but the biggest thing keeping me, is the thought of if due to my fault or others I total my car or do tens of thousands of damage. I do not have the wallett to afford that. So here is my questions......

1. do most tracks have optional insurance to cover expenses to car/track should the unthinkable happen?
2. would major insurance companies (I use Allstate) have an optional plan for track time accidents?
3. does anyone who tracks thier boss have insurance for it and if so are the premiums worth it?
4. If my wallett cant handle doing major damage to my car or others.....would it just be better to once or twice a year rent a car from a track?

I have always been interested in racing......just wondering if thier was a way to do it without alot of liability as my Boss is my daily driver when I get home.
 
If you can't afford to drive it off a cliff............

It's not a matter if if you have an accident, it's when................

13FLBoss said:
1. do most tracks have optional insurance to cover expenses to car/track should the unthinkable happen?

No. and if you mess a barrier you get the bill.

13FLBoss said:
2. would major insurance companies (I use Allstate) have an optional plan for track time accidents?

Call your agent, some do some don't, hell most don't and I know Allstate won't.

13FLBoss said:
3. does anyone who tracks thier boss have insurance for it and if so are the premiums worth it?

See my quotes at the top............

13FLBoss said:
4. If my wallett cant handle doing major damage to my car or others.....would it just be better to once or twice a year rent a car from a track?

It's your call.......

Here's a company that offers track day insurance.

Lockton Motorsports

http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/Default.aspx
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
14
Connecticut
Good answers. There are some insurance companies (I think someone said Fireman's Fund Insurance) that have HPDE riders, I've heard it costs about $1000 a year additional. This kind of insurance is VERY expensive. At least until you total your car which hopefully never happens...
 

drano38

Wayne
1,130
318
+1
I use Lockton when at Brainerd--high speed, lots of walls.
~ $260 for 2 day and $300 for 3 day events last summer.
It has a deductible too.
Most companies will not cover track events. If you call, they will most likely say no.
I know of 2 incidents last summer. One was covered, one not, by their regular company.
Decide how much risk you're willing to take, then go from there.
 
13FLBoss said:
does anyone who tracks thier boss have insurance for it and if so are the premiums worth it?

I have always been interested in racing......just wondering if thier was a way to do it without alot of liability as my Boss is my daily driver when I get home.

There is a saying, if you can't afford to leave it at the track, don't take it to the track. As a DD you need to be careful, how will you get to work in case something bad does happen? While tracking can be done safely I have seen many cars go home totaled, you can do everything correct but your car is only as good as the worst prepared car out there.

The boss is a great car and you feel so in control at 130 MPH but when something goes wrong even at 45 it can damage the car beyond repair.

This is a few insurance companies that provide track insurance. As a DD I would suggest getting it:

http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/Default.aspx
http://hartlandinsurancegroup.com/motorsport.html
http://ontrackinsurance.com/index.aspx
http://haydenwood.com/hwimotors/
 
Thanks for all the info on insurance and tracks. I will contact a few of these companies and see about thier coverages and deductibles. I am guessing if the coverage is for the value of my car......and another car is damaged along with the track I would still be on the hook for that. If I can find a plan that would cover my car....plus maybe another 40-50k of damages to others I may take my car to the track from time to time. I can budget the track expenses and insurance expenses (including deductible). And go as much as my budget allows. But if I have to go without it and windup with a huge bill....it will be too risky for me in my current situation.

It doesnt help seeing the member videos and pictures from track days. Make me REALLY want to try it also!
 
I have State Farm in NC and my agent checked with the underwriter and after I sent them a bunch of documentation regarding HPDE they said they would cover it. As long as I was not head to head racing or doing time trials. Although they did say if I had an accident while on the track they would cancel everything on me.

I had hagerty prior to State Farm and they wouldn't cover it at all. Also State Farm was about $100/yr cheaper as well. Not guaranteed payout amount like hagerty though.
 
1,437
352
13FLBoss said:
Thanks for all the info on insurance and tracks. I will contact a few of these companies and see about thier coverages and deductibles. I am guessing if the coverage is for the value of my car......and another car is damaged along with the track I would still be on the hook for that. If I can find a plan that would cover my car....plus maybe another 40-50k of damages to others I may take my car to the track from time to time. I can budget the track expenses and insurance expenses (including deductible). And go as much as my budget allows. But if I have to go without it and windup with a huge bill....it will be too risky for me in my current situation.

It doesnt help seeing the member videos and pictures from track days. Make me REALLY want to try it also!

Click on the Lockton link below, and once you've glanced at the front page click on "APPLY ONLINE" at the top bar. Pick an event and punch in your numbers. It'll give you a quote online without any obligation to buy. I am not affiliated with them at all, just have used them in the past upon the recommendation of someone online. I did just purchase a policy for Fri/Sat at Spring Mtn.

http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/Default.aspx
 
I used locktonaffinity for an NJMP event last year with Trackdaze. Never had to file a claim but they came recommended and were easy to deal with. They had a list of events already listed on their website which was convenient.

I could afford the loss but sure wouldn't make me happy. Cost $250 for the two days and was easily worth the peace of mind.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top