The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track day tire puncture

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TX
Far enough, I guess I am thinking about myself where at times I can be inches away from another car and I don't want to be worrying about a tire that might not hold up.

that’s what the days on I’m on fresh race slicks, brakes, and big aero are for :)

That's one thing we all have to remember, that our decisions don't always effect only us, here's a wheel that was hit and I repaired it (well..you know..) at the track. These are CCW Endurance wheels and are massively robust, so I had no issue with it, a "flow form" or "cast" wheel, I wouldn't do this.

9nE0dPAl.jpg

Wssf4GRl.jpg

qR8YMVKl.jpg

Here's a similar wheel that I relegated to rain tire status because the spoke had been hit, a lot less stress on a set of rain tires, than dry slicks.

NJIHZ0Yl.jpg

A pic of a (I think) cast wheel that almost looks photoshopped, but I think it's legit..it was hopefully tossed by the owner

q2rYG8ul.jpg

Here's a BBS that was hit on lap1, but stayed inflated and finished a 40 minute race at Sebring, which is really a testament to BBS wheels, it was sent to the scrapper

ZVpDtnVl.jpg

The issue I see with all of this is that I'm not an engineer, and even if I was nobody has the machines available at the track to measure whether or not a wheel may fail. When I went to tour CCW, they have a machine which will impart massive stress in a single area, Engineers call this a "moment" where all the bad things come together at a single point. I want to say (and it's been awhile so I might be incorrect) that one of their tests put over 8K pounds on a single area of their wheels, (like a curb hit) and could measure deflection of the wheel. None of us can do that, but what we can do is inspect the wheels after every race weekend for cracks, or damage and address those, you also need to look at a wheel after the tire has been dismounted, and look at the bead area. Wheels have a certain amount of built in damage absorption, cast wheels not as much as forged, flow forms are in the middle, cast wheels should be more closely inspected with more frequency. Also since cast wheels are less sturdy than forged, you should expect to replace them more frequently, it's just the way it is.
As with anything else performance related, this is just my opinion, what you do is up to you and you're on your own if it doesn't work out.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors