The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Tape

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Any concerns using it over OEM stripes? Which one do you like better?
I already ordered a roll.

What were your thoughts? How easy is it to apply and more importantly remove? How was the protection on track ?

Trak tape is thick and will give you the protection you need for a track day for sure. You get a considerable amount for the money you spend, and two of the smallest sized rolls will cover the bottom portion of the hood, front bumper, partial fenders, and partial rear quarter panels. Down side is the edges have a tendency to lift and it is not as pliable as tracwrap. For 1-2 track days back to back you should be fine though.

XPel Tracwrap is nice and super tacky. It lays on much more like a PPF and wraps around the edges better. It will hold longer, is thinner and more pliable, and will be easier to install on all the curves. Down side is you need about 2x the tracwrap to cover what 1 roll of Trak Tape will. It is also thinner, but should still provide adequate protection.

My experience was a 700 mile drive from AZ to CA. I had no scratches or rock chips with either product. Removal is easy and the paint/stripes were fine with both. some residual glue with the tracwrap, but not the trak tape I had to stop on several occasions and pull off or trim pieces of trak tape that were lifting. The Tracwrap held up like a champ.

If you are not concerned about looks then go with tracwrap. Trak Tape will get you handled for the road course and you can afford to replace pieces if needed since you will have plenty.

I’ve used TrakkTape at 4 track days now, and I like it. My observations:

- Follow the instructions, and go from the back of the car to the front. If there is an exposed edge, the wind WILL peel it up.

- Tape the leading edge of the roof above the windshield, but tuck the first inch or so under the windshield (where there is a gap) so it won’t peel up at speed.

- DO NOT try to pull the TrakkTape taut as you’re laying it down! You’ll just create MORE air bubbles. Lay it down gently, use the squeegee to push out the air bubbles, and it will go on very smoothly.

- You may want to use two layers on the hood and front of the car, for extra paint protection from pebbles kicked up by other cars’ race tires.

- Cover any parts of the car that have OEM stripes by cutting the TrakkTape into three sections: one each from the middle of each stripe to the edge of the car, and a separate section from the middle of each stripe to the middle of the other stripe. That way, you can peel each section of Trakktape off by starting from the middle of the stripe outwards, without accidentally peeling up the edge of the stripe itself.

- Be sure to bring plenty of extra TrakkTape with you to the track, to replace any sections that peel up on track after each session. It WILL happen, and the sections that peel up will get grit under them. You don’t want to go back onto the track and let it scratch up the paint underneath... that would defeat the purpose of the TrakkTape!

- On my last track weekend, it was in the 90’s, and there was some residue left on the paint when I peeled off the TrakkTape. A little polish, though, and the residue was gone easily enough. (I used Zaino Z2.)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel