The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TracKey use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curious, but is it "safe" to use the TracKey all the time, or are the changes in the computer parameters only ideal for occasional/track use? Reason being is that I like how the car feels and sounds better when using the TracKey, and although I don't drive the Boss too often, I'd hate to expedite failure by using it almost every time I drive the car. Thoughts?

No issues at all. Ass long as you are aware of the differences in engine braking and low rom torque. I never use the silver key.....

GT TP owner-5500 miles, I never used the regular key. Always use 93 and MPG likely suffers but I am OK with that.

TracKey all the time as other have stated

even when loading in Summit Racing, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpTegXhbXwY

I was using TK when my engine blew.

VoodooBOSS said:
I was using TK when my engine blew.

Ouch! Thanks for putting a damper on my idea of 100% TracKey use :mad:

Just kidding! ;) I know it can happen regardless if I use the TK or not, but I'll still choose to run the TK unless I'm just moving the car around my garage/yard :D

VoodooBOSS said:
Most race tracks have higher octane, Sonoma, LS and TH all do, And I do the same as Sako.

I stand corrected. You're right, I have seen these higher octane a at the Sunico pumps at the tracks. Does the car seem to run better with the higher octane mixture? Not that I would want to spend the coin on it, but what would/could happen if I filled her up with ~90% 100 octane fuel or higher?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
TK is designed to run with 91/93 octane pump gas. Adding 100 to the mix adds a cushion of protection while running TK.

Running straight 100 octane will like drain the wallet while adding little,to no added protection.

Save the cash for brakes and tires.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Interesting TracKey observation: it seems to me that the harder I run the Boss with TK, the more pronounced my TK idle becomes. Conversely, I used TK for a docile run to the Marina, 120 mile round trip, and while parking the Boss in the garage, TK idle seemed very tamed and not as pronounced.

I always run Sunoco Ultra, 93 Octane, so petrol is not a variable.

Is this my imagination?

302 Hi Pro

TMO Supporting Vendors