The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tracking the Boss

241
61
Looking at buying a boss as a DD and also DE car. What needs to be done to the boss 302 to properly track the car. I know brake fluid and pads and R compound tires. Is the suspension sufficient or are people changing the sway bars, shocks, control arms ect???? I plan on leaving the car fairly stock since I have a race car already but would like to track the car some. Any problems with overheating? Does ford sell the rear seat delete like ive seen in the LS?

Thanks. Prospective buyer.
 
Add to your list:
Brake cooling ducts
Trans cooling scoop
A better flowing grill like a 302S or bar grill

The stock suspension is fine and I wouldn't mess with it until you have at least a couple of track days in it.

What's your race car?
 
Your list is pretty complete for DE. I would also add the brake cooling kit and transmission cooling scoop from the LS ars minimums. The suspension is more than capable for DE and even TT. Then depending on how aggressive you want to get, do the following:

Caster/camber plates
2-piece lightweight front rotors

Depending on whether you're looking at a '12 or '13 you MAY run into cooling issues, again depends on your driving style and whether you are at high elevations. If you're not pushing it to the limit and/or at less than roughly 2k ft above sea level you should be fine in stock form. The '13 got a vented hood and more open grille to deal with cooling issues, but we don't have any owner feedback on its effectiveness at this point obviously since they haven't started shipping. For the '12, it can be as simple as pulling the front grille on track days IF you are having cooling issues. Most people aren't having an issue cooling. If you want to mod for cooling, here's my list:

Boss 302S grillle
Boss 302S radiator
Tiger Racing Boss 302S hood

The next level would be an air-to-oil cooler. FRPP is coming out with one and Cooltech just released one. We don't have much owner feedback on these yet.

Bottom line, it's as close to a track ready car as you can expect and the performance is unbelievable. It's competitive with Porsches, BMWs and GT-Rs costing two and three times as much, plus it looks and sounds way cooler. 8)
 
Here's my rear seat delete kit. It was $225 from rearseatdelete.com The roll bar is MM. This package is much less than the LS package from Ford and more functional. If you just want to delete the rear seat, it's really inexpensive.

2011120419332325.jpg

By cloud91965 at 2011-12-04
 
241
61
5 DOT 0 said:
Add to your list:
Brake cooling ducts
Trans cooling scoop
A better flowing grill like a 302S or bar grill

The stock suspension is fine and I wouldn't mess with it until you have at least a couple of track days in it.

What's your race car?

My race car is a 2006 Porsche Cayman S
 
241
61
Great, what about getting the torsion rear diff and recaro seats? Is the diff that much of an upgrade? Do the seats accomodate a 6 point harness? Since I have not purchased yet it would be nice to know if its worth the extra $$$

Thanks
 
241
61
cloud9 said:
Your list is pretty complete for DE. I would also add the brake cooling kit and transmission cooling scoop from the LS ars minimums. The suspension is more than capable for DE and even TT. Then depending on how aggressive you want to get, do the following:

Caster/camber plates
2-piece lightweight front rotors

Depending on whether you're looking at a '12 or '13 you MAY run into cooling issues, again depends on your driving style and whether you are at high elevations. If you're not pushing it to the limit and/or at less than roughly 2k ft above sea level you should be fine in stock form. The '13 got a vented hood and more open grille to deal with cooling issues, but we don't have any owner feedback on its effectiveness at this point obviously since they haven't started shipping. For the '12, it can be as simple as pulling the front grille on track days IF you are having cooling issues. Most people aren't having an issue cooling. If you want to mod for cooling, here's my list:

Boss 302S grillle
Boss 302S radiator
Tiger Racing Boss 302S hood

The next level would be an air-to-oil cooler. FRPP is coming out with one and Cooltech just released one. We don't have much owner feedback on these yet.

Bottom line, it's as close to a track ready car as you can expect and the performance is unbelievable. It's competitive with Porsches, BMWs and GT-Rs costing two and three times as much, plus it looks and sounds way cooler. 8)

That is what I am thinking. Ive had 2 gt3s and a couple of race prepped porsches. Out of the box the boss feels amazing!!! I think its a sub 2:10 car at VIR stock. My experience modifying cars is that once you lower them and put a stiffer suspension on they never drive correctly on the street again. What type of camber can you get out of the stock set up?
 
There is no camber adjustment in the stock setup. You will be at -.90 to -.95 degrees from the factory due to the 11mm drop from the standard GT. I agree with you 100% on the degradation of streetability once you start changing out the suspension. The MM plates will get you somewhere between -2.4 and -2.8 degrees of camber and have no ill effects on the street ride. Based on the Cayman Ses I have encountered at BIR, you will be pleased with the Boss' performance ;)
 
241
61
Yes no doubt about the straight line speed and torque out of corners. How about the cornering, expecially high speed. Do you have much roll. Also, how is straight away speed compared to the porsche gt3s I assume pretty close?
 
241
61
I drove a boss for the first time today and was blown away over the power and expecially how tight the car felt. I liked the shifter and the short throw. Now its in my head. All I want to do is go out and shift gears and feel that torque..... I know it gets old after youve had the car a few months. But the car just felt like a monster! Id really like to hear it with the restrictors off. And see the difference if any with the track key. I think ford did a great job on the boss. Ive got a buy on a 12 that I think is good.

Feedback on the recaro/diff option??? Thanks
 
boss1 said:
I drove a boss for the first time today and was blown away over the power and expecially how tight the car felt. I liked the shifter and the short throw. Now its in my head. All I want to do is go out and shift gears and feel that torque..... I know it gets old after youve had the car a few months. But the car just felt like a monster! Id really like to hear it with the restrictors off. And see the difference if any with the track key. I think ford did a great job on the boss. Ive got a buy on a 12 that I think is good.

Feedback on the recaro/diff option??? Thanks
If you're going to track your car don't buy one without Recaro/Torsen option. There's magic in that Torsen diff. ;) The seats are great but no sub belt slot. Also it's amazing how quickly you get used to 444 HP. ;D

Car and Driver put down a 3:02+ lap at VIR in a LS for their Lightning Lap in the Feb 2012 magazine.
 
241
61
5 DOT 0 said:
boss1 said:
I drove a boss for the first time today and was blown away over the power and expecially how tight the car felt. I liked the shifter and the short throw. Now its in my head. All I want to do is go out and shift gears and feel that torque..... I know it gets old after youve had the car a few months. But the car just felt like a monster! Id really like to hear it with the restrictors off. And see the difference if any with the track key. I think ford did a great job on the boss. Ive got a buy on a 12 that I think is good.

Feedback on the recaro/diff option??? Thanks
If you're going to track your car don't buy one without Recaro/Torsen option. There's magic in that Torsen diff. ;) The seats are great but no sub belt slot. Also it's amazing how quickly you get used to 444 HP. ;D

Car and Driver put down a 3:02+ lap at VIR in a LS for their Lightning Lap in the Feb 2012 magazine.


Is the LS worth the upgrade in price? The colors are limited and I really wanted white which is why I did not look at the LS. Anyone have feed back on the aero set up? Boss vrs LS at speed. Ive had a convertible GT at 150 and the front end felt light but the boss front splitter and rake should take care of that?

Sorry for all the questions but does the track key get rid of the speed limiter??? Thanks
 
I fixed my typo on the lap time.

Yes it was stock. The biggest difference is the R compound tires. Many of us have added the LS rear spoiler for added downforce and the front splitter is always an option. Other than some minor tweaks on the suspension the cars are mechanically identical. If you want the exclusivity of the LS go for it otherwise your money will be better spent on mods. This is debatable of course. Another way of increasing downforce up front without adding the "snow or dirt plow splitter" is the 302S hood from Tiger Racing. It decreases lift significantly which increases downforce. Gary can better answer questions at speed as he's had his up to 150. I can confirm the car is stable on track up to 125. TK does not remove the speed limiter.

LSfastestlaps.jpg
 
241
61
5 DOT 0 said:
I fixed my typo on the lap time.

Yes it was stock. The biggest difference is the R compound tires. Many of us have added the LS rear spoiler for added downforce and the front splitter is always an option. Other than some minor tweaks on the suspension the cars are mechanically identical. If you want the exclusivity of the LS go for it otherwise your money will be better spend on mods. This is debatable of course. Another way of increasing downforce up front without adding the "snow or dirt plow splitter" is the 302S hood from Tiger Racing. It decreases lift significantly which increases downforce. Gary can better answer questions at speed as he's had his up to 150. I can confirm the car is stable on track up to 125. TK does not remove the speed limiter.

Thanks I corrected my post as well. I rarely run the grand course so its hard to compare. Thanks for all the great feedback. I appreciate your help. T.Roy
 
boss1 said:
Yes no doubt about the straight line speed and torque out of corners. How about the cornering, expecially high speed. Do you have much roll. Also, how is straight away speed compared to the porsche gt3s I assume pretty close?
On the mile long front straight at BIR it seems I run just about even with GT3s...the RS will pull me slightly. Some think there's too much roll, but personally I don't notice it. There is some brake dive but I think all of this contributes to the ability of the car to flat our rotate in corners. I outrun most GT3s and it's not in the straights.....I've certainly passed some RSs but only because of the driver. I've never been passed by a Cayman S. Turn 1 at BIR I enter at 150 and the car feels planted. I go through and bleed to 130 and exit at 140. It's a high risk/high reward turn, as is Turn 2 where you enter at 140, brake lightly to 110 and exit at 130 but there's no banking and it's an 80 degree turn versus Turn one being 60 degrees with banking. I haven't run yet with TracKey or the new Tiger hood since I just installed them in November/December respectively and the tracks up here close at the end of October. I really hope the new hood helps me take those turns faster, but we'll see. It could be that it adds so much downforce that I'll need a bigger rear wing.

Rick answered the LS question really well. I personally wanted the CO/BK and am glad I went that route for me. I added the LS cooling ducts, trans scoop, an Aeroforce gauge and the LS rear wing. The rest won't make a significant difference in lap times. As far as the front splitter, we have seen one LS go "off road" and rip off the front clip. At this point I'm going to see how much difference the hood makes, but just lowering the front by running an 18" track wheel in a 35 profile tire drops you an inch and will add significant downforce with the regular Boss front splitter.
 
241
61
Thanks! Great feedback. When adding the LS wing does the black lip on the back of the boss just pop off so its a clean install?
 
boss1 said:
Thanks! Great feedback. When adding the LS wing does the black lip on the back of the boss just pop off so its a clean install?
I snapped mine, as did my buddy, when trying to remove it, but no damage to the deck lid. Scott (2012YellowBoss) and Rick got theirs off successfully so probably have some trick to do it. Mine will never go back to stock anyway so no biggie.
 
241
61
I finally got the Boss to the track today!!! VIR full course. It started off cold at 45 or so but ended up 62 and sunny. The car ran great and is the most neutral car Ive ever had on the track. If anything there was some push. the car was 100% stock except for track key. The car did well and held up to 3 25 minute sessions on the stock brakes and fluid. NO brake fade but I was getting use to the car and not hitting the brakes as hard as I will. Car felt great up the climbing esses and southbend. I have to work on the slower speed corners some to get them down with a heavier car. Slow in/fast out... Back straight speeds were between 145-150 and will be faster as brake confidence grows. I did get into the ABS and get a hard peddle twice at about 145 which was not great. Turn in could be crisper and I hope that R compound tires and an alignment will help that. I had the exhaust disc in and next time they will be out. Advance track off. The only thing I had trouble with was the shifter!!!!!! Horrible is the best way to describe it. I was wrestling 4th and 5th every time. I missed or just could not get in to gear atleast 10 times. I dont get it. On the way home the car did not want to go into 6th???? Anyway, I will take it to the dealer monday and see whats going on there. If they cant get it shifting better, then I will have to go after marked. The other issue was a CEL light I got twice for multiple misfired cilinders????

Lap times started at 2:22 and ended up at 2:18. I hope to find another 10 seconds or so there......

Anyway, now its time for cooling and safety mods and some new wheels and track tires...... I think the boss is going to be a blast...
 
boss1 said:
I finally got the Boss to the track today!!! VIR full course. It started off cold at 45 or so but ended up 62 and sunny. The car ran great and is the most neutral car Ive ever had on the track. If anything there was some push. the car was 100% stock except for track key. The car did well and held up to 3 25 minute sessions on the stock brakes and fluid. NO brake fade but I was getting use to the car and not hitting the brakes as hard as I will. Car felt great up the climbing esses and southbend. I have to work on the slower speed corners some to get them down with a heavier car. Slow in/fast out... Back straight speeds were between 145-150 and will be faster as brake confidence grows. I did get into the ABS and get a hard peddle twice at about 145 which was not great. Turn in could be crisper and I hope that R compound tires and an alignment will help that. I had the exhaust disc in and next time they will be out. Advance track off. The only thing I had trouble with was the shifter!!!!!! Horrible is the best way to describe it. I was wrestling 4th and 5th every time. I missed or just could not get in to gear atleast 10 times. I dont get it. On the way home the car did not want to go into 6th???? Anyway, I will take it to the dealer monday and see whats going on there. If they cant get it shifting better, then I will have to go after marked. The other issue was a CEL light I got twice for multiple misfired cilinders????

Lap times started at 2:22 and ended up at 2:18. I hope to find another 10 seconds or so there......

Anyway, now its time for cooling and safety mods and some new wheels and track tires...... I think the boss is going to be a blast...
Read the other threads, I don't think an aftermarket shifter is going to fix your problems shifting at high speeds from 4-5 and 5-4. Sounds like you had a great time today. How did the car hook up coming out of the corners? ;D
 
241
61
It hooked up great even on stock tires and alignment. I cant wait for better tires and some negative camber!!!!!
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top