The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Trackspec extractors installed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Picked up my hood from having the Trackspec extractors installed. I drove for about 30 mins and noticed the hood still flutters around at speeds :banghead:. Will be adjusting my hood rubber stops to see if this helps. Cant wait to get on the course to see how this improves the under hood temps.
View attachment 87093View attachment 87094View attachment 87095
Um-m-m, not to be debbie downer, but those Trackspec louvers are not very aggressive. They look nice, but that doesn't mean they perform the best.
Take a look at Race Louvers product, they are much more aggressive and there is zero hood shake with them. They also lowered engine coolant and oil temps by a ton. At least with my car anyway.
RaceLouvers spends time in the wind tunnel with A J Hartman and they have hard data on their stuff. Their louvres absolutely eliminated any engine heat problems I had and added downforce. My lap times dropped by something near 1.5 seconds on a 2.4 mile very fast track.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
You could probably help the extraction effect by putting a spoiler in front of the center vent opening to create a lower-pressure zone behind it over the vent. Plus, it should slightly increase the pressure in front of it, creating a bit of downforce on the nose of the hood, which could help reduce the fluttering. Wondering if the screws across the front of the center extractor could be used to hold a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" aluminum angle, and if that would be strong enough to support the aero force against the angle.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Maryland
Um-m-m, not to be debbie downer, but those Trackspec louvers are not very aggressive. They look nice, but that doesn't mean they perform the best.
Take a look at Race Louvers product, they are much more aggressive and there is zero hood shake with them. They also lowered engine coolant and oil temps by a ton. At least with my car anyway.
RaceLouvers spends time in the wind tunnel with A J Hartman and they have hard data on their stuff. Their louvres absolutely eliminated any engine heat problems I had and added downforce. My lap times dropped by something near 1.5 seconds on a 2.4 mile very fast track.
I just looked at Race Louvers site and they do stand behind their product and actually test. I wish I would have done more research before I cut this hood up. I wonder are the dimensions the same. Maybe I can pop out Trackspec and pop in Race Lovers if I'm not seeing a change in temps, wishful thinking....

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Maryland
You could probably help the extraction effect by putting a spoiler in front of the center vent opening to create a lower-pressure zone behind it over the vent. Plus, it should slightly increase the pressure in front of it, creating a bit of downforce on the nose of the hood, which could help reduce the fluttering. Wondering if the screws across the front of the center extractor could be used to hold a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" aluminum angle, and if that would be strong enough to support the aero force against the angle.
After looking at Race Louvers that how their extractors are setup. Its proved to work from looking at the data.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Scottsdale
I have had the Trackspec louvers installed on my car for several years. Not one issue with them and my car has never gotten hot and I live in Phoenix. Sure the Race Louvers may be a little more efficient but the Trackspec work fine for HPDE and do what they are suppose to do. Vent the engine compartment and increase air flow through the front of the car.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I just looked at Race Louvers site and they do stand behind their product and actually test. I wish I would have done more research before I cut this hood up. I wonder are the dimensions the same. Maybe I can pop out Trackspec and pop in Race Lovers if I'm not seeing a change in temps, wishful thinking....
Not saying to go with RL but other people have contacted Al at RL and he has made a shape that will replace the Tracspec center vent (and side vent) with his. Just something to keep in mind down the road.
Where did you take it to in Maryland?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Maryland
I have had the Trackspec louvers installed on my car for several years. Not one issue with them and my car has never gotten hot and I live in Phoenix. Sure the Race Louvers may be a little more efficient but the Trackspec work fine for HPDE and do what they are suppose to do. Vent the engine compartment and increase air flow through the front of the car.
I will be on the track soon and will be logging my temps to see the difference.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Maryland
Not saying to go with RL but other people have contacted Al at RL and he has made a shape that will replace the Tracspec center vent (and side vent) with his. Just something to keep in mind down the road.
Where did you take it to in Maryland?
Oh wow! sounds like a lot of folks make the swap if they are willing to create a shape to replace the Trackspec extractors.

I have a buddy of mine that does paint and body work near the Annapolis area.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Maryland
Added these leading edge deflectors to my Trackspec vents in my Boss to improve air flow as suggested above. 1/16 aluminum worked great. Another thing you can do is add a high density foam attached to the underside of the hood to close the air gap above the headlights to help prevent hood flutter.
That looks great! Are these attached using the same holes that the vents use?

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
Tracspec sells S197 versions of the leading edge fences. Heard that they're working on S550 stuff...don't panic.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Silversurfer , wait until you get on track before you make a ton of changes or get concerned, because at this point you don't even know how well your vents may function. The Anderson Composite hood on my Mach 1 does not appear overly aggressive but it functions phenomenally. The car never runs hot and in fact it stays constant even when on the track for 30 minutes solid. Get back to us after your event and let us know your results.

TMO Supporting Vendors