The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Trackspec extractors installed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Maryland
Silversurfer , wait until you get on track before you make a ton of changes or get concerned, because at this point you don't even know how well your vents may function. The Anderson Composite hood on my Mach 1 does not appear overly aggressive but it functions phenomenally. The car never runs hot and in fact it stays constant even when on the track for 30 minutes solid. Get back to us after your event and let us know your results.
I just want longevity as far as I can go, keeping the engine cooler seemed like the proper direction to go. I will log and post differences in temps next event.

Your Mach 1 looked great and you're very knowledgeable, sad to see you and the Mach departing.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Hopefully the Mach will go to a trackrat before I officially trade it in ( since once I give to them it will have a lot less stuff on it ) , but I don't plan on leaving as this is just too good a site and since I have had 20 some Fords I still feel the kinship. I will be at the Mustang Roundup in September in Hastings and at that point I will be without a Mustang, but, I will be hanging with Mustang friends!

Would extra hood vents work on 14 Shelby gt500 for street use to keep IAT2 down. Or only the engine would benefit???
I kind of went through this on my 07.
The answer is a resounding... possibly.
There's a couple of things to look at first.
The IAT temp issue, if you interrogate the code, you may find the cause is created by a bad cooler pump, mine was. Before I went down that road, I insulated the air box surrounding the intake air filter. I partially recreated the box, covered it in the trick gold insulation, and used foam to help isolate the box. ALL of that helped with the IAT temps, but...
Ultimately did not solve the issue. Removing the factory vents on the hood also helped along with the trick air box, but again, that was not really the issue.
If I can find a pic, I'll post it.

I kind of went through this on my 07.
The answer is a resounding... possibly.
There's a couple of things to look at first.
The IAT temp issue, if you interrogate the code, you may find the cause is created by a bad cooler pump, mine was. Before I went down that road, I insulated the air box surrounding the intake air filter. I partially recreated the box, covered it in the trick gold insulation, and used foam to help isolate the box. ALL of that helped with the IAT temps, but...
Ultimately did not solve the issue. Removing the factory vents on the hood also helped along with the trick air box, but again, that was not really the issue.
If I can find a pic, I'll post it.
Thanks for replying i only do back roads and around town. It's my 1st supercharger car and I been reading up and speaking with companies. Department of Boost said electric fans really don't do much for highway driving if anything restrict air flow. But it's okay for stop and go traffic and in between drag racing.
A larger heat exchanger will help as long as it's not to thick. Most other recommendations are air to air to work better for roadways. I am use to N/A engines not a drag racing guy so I am not going to spend thousands. I did wrap the CAI in thermal tape and did the same for the cai box. It actually stays at the outside temperature. I figured the side vents that are on a stock 14 mustang gt. That it would push out more hot air on the highway keeping down engine and supercharger temperatures. I am running for the intercooler straight water and VP COOLANT Additive. I saw the VMP upgraded with the 2 fans which is not for me. The stock 13&14 heat exchanger is almost as big as VMP. But for 900.00 I don't think it would benefit my driving. I may just trade it in for something else non supercharged. Maybe turbo charged i have been looking at Aston Martin Vanquish v12 and vantage. The prices dropped on the older ones something to play with and they sound incredible.

Thanks for replying i only do back roads and around town. It's my 1st supercharger car and I been reading up and speaking with companies. Department of Boost said electric fans really don't do much for highway driving if anything restrict air flow. But it's okay for stop and go traffic and in between drag racing.
A larger heat exchanger will help as long as it's not to thick. Most other recommendations are air to air to work better for roadways. I am use to N/A engines not a drag racing guy so I am not going to spend thousands. I did wrap the CAI in thermal tape and did the same for the cai box. It actually stays at the outside temperature. I figured the side vents that are on a stock 14 mustang gt. That it would push out more hot air on the highway keeping down engine and supercharger temperatures. I am running for the intercooler straight water and VP COOLANT Additive. I saw the VMP upgraded with the 2 fans which is not for me. The stock 13&14 heat exchanger is almost as big as VMP. But for 900.00 I don't think it would benefit my driving. I may just trade it in for something else non supercharged. Maybe turbo charged i have been looking at Aston Martin Vanquish v12 and vantage. The prices dropped on the older ones something to play with and they sound incredible.
Well the positive displacement blower cars have some strong attributes, instant boost off idle is the main one. Cruising on the highway, another, but busting laps on a road course... not so much, you can't get rid of the heat.
BTW here's the pics20230720_152208.jpg20230720_152158.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area
I just want longevity as far as I can go, keeping the engine cooler seemed like the proper direction to go. I will log and post differences in temps next event.

Your Mach 1 looked great and you're very knowledgeable, sad to see you and the Mach departing.
Any update on temps? I'm debating on if I should be going the TrackSpec or the RaceLouver route! The RL's look fugly but are functional - but if the TS are good enough for cooling, I can live without the added downforce

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Any update on temps? I'm debating on if I should be going the TrackSpec or the RaceLouver route! The RL's look fugly but are functional - but if the TS are good enough for cooling, I can live without the added downforce
I think the TS will work but placement is key. I think the instructions have it placed too far up. Also you can add a wicker on the front to improve efficiency. If it’s the shape you have a problem with you can always have Al do a custom shape for an additional fee

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area
instructions have it placed too far up. Also you can add a wicker on the front to improve efficiency. If it’s the shape you have a problem
I think the TS will work but placement is key. I think the instructions have it placed too far up. Also you can add a wicker on the front to improve efficiency. If it’s the shape you have a problem with you can always have Al do a custom shape for an additional fee
I just can't get past the fact that they look like HVAC vents 😂 But I have no doubt it's functional

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Columbia, TN
Gotta agree the Trackspec does look better for dual purpose cars. If you search "wicker" on the Trackspec website they now have a lot of options for leading edge wickerbills to help generate a negative pressure over the vent.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Maryland
Actually yes, I tracked the car from 9am-4pm two weeks ago and my temps never went past 210.EA9DDB4F-751F-4F24-A436-E1C64CFF4EE6.jpeg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Melbourne Australia
Had the exact same thoughts, all out race car then Racelouver, dual purpose the Trackspec just look nicer. 5 minute drive and the centre vent gets to almost too hot to hold hand on for long. I don't have water temp issues with stock engine. Oil temp is a whole other story and will be addressed asap._JCP4582.jpg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
Added these leading edge deflectors to my Trackspec vents in my Boss to improve air flow as suggested above. 1/16 aluminum worked great. Another thing you can do is add a high density foam attached to the underside of the hood to close the air gap above the headlights to help prevent hood flutter.

The foam on the headlights is a bigger deal that is usually appreciated. Definitely do that. Putting the gurney ahead of the louver will also be a big gain in flow, no question. Use nutplates to hold them on, and you can go back and forth.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Melbourne Australia
If I make a wicker how tall should it be ??

Straight from the experts "mouth" so to speak.

Then Trackspec with their vent have this information. Ignore the fact it says C5 Corvette as the page is for a S197 apparently.

From all this i have no idea.

Some vent is better than no vent, how much better can it be made, the million dollar question.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Melbourne Australia
I have the Trackspec on my S197 and did a DIY yarn test with and without a 1/2 inch fence in front of the center vent. The fence made a bid difference in air flow through the vent.

1694495317666.png
I love the fact you tested it. Awesome.
Comparing the 2 it appears without the fence the attached laminar flow blocks the initial vents until the vents have sufficiently disrupted the airflow to allow the back half of the vent to flow out from the engine bay. By adding the fence has allowed the front half of the vent to now flow but at the detriment of the rear. The rear still flows but to me doesn't appear to be doing as well. In my far from expert opinion it appears there is potentially more flow out overall, but as per the video i posted from racelouvres, how much extra drag is created to do this. I would assume it then comes down to what everyone is chasing, cooling vs drag. One thing i have managed to learn is everything is related and unfortunately has a negative affect on the other characteristic.
I love the concept of aero design for cars but realise the margins for improvement are percentage points. Won't stop me from still wanting a front splitter to try tame the understeer but be conscious of the overall weight vs benefit.

I now have tonights viewing taken care of, to check out all your youtube videos.

TMO Supporting Vendors