The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Trans mount

As I was driving into work this morning I noticed a sound resonating in the center of the car making a squeaking/clunking sound like something was about to come apart. I took in to Ford and found out the trans mount was going bad with only 11k miles. Has anyone else had this problem?
 
badasbullitt said:
As I was driving into work this morning I noticed a sound resonating in the center of the car making a squeaking/clunking sound like something was about to come apart. I took in to Ford and found out the trans mount was going bad with only 11k miles. Has anyone else had this problem?

No problems here but when I had the driveshaft loop installed my first thought was what a piece of crap tiny trans mount. These things are known for harmonic issues so I have to wonder. Maybe that will be my next thing to make a stronger mount.
 
I am looking to replace the drive shaft with DSS in the near future and possibly the shifter. I am think why they have it i will have them do the tsb for the trans fluid. Have you done that one?
 
Trans fluid tsb is going to be done at the end of this week. Although I believe my car is the second build and I think it has it done already but my service manager said no worries we will do it anyway to be sure.
 

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
1,242
71
jeepinocala said:
badasbullitt said:
As I was driving into work this morning I noticed a sound resonating in the center of the car making a squeaking/clunking sound like something was about to come apart. I took in to Ford and found out the trans mount was going bad with only 11k miles. Has anyone else had this problem?

No problems here but when I had the driveshaft loop installed my first thought was what a piece of crap tiny trans mount. These things are known for harmonic issues so I have to wonder. Maybe that will be my next thing to make a stronger mount.

Is there an after market trans mount you can buy? I had posted about the CHE products K-brace and torque limiters but BBR guy said don't do it, it can break the aluminum 'ears' on the trans. So if I go the upgraded engine mount route it would make sense to replace this also...
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
ace72ace said:
jeepinocala said:
badasbullitt said:
As I was driving into work this morning I noticed a sound resonating in the center of the car making a squeaking/clunking sound like something was about to come apart. I took in to Ford and found out the trans mount was going bad with only 11k miles. Has anyone else had this problem?

No problems here but when I had the driveshaft loop installed my first thought was what a piece of crap tiny trans mount. These things are known for harmonic issues so I have to wonder. Maybe that will be my next thing to make a stronger mount.

Is there an after market trans mount you can buy? I had posted about the CHE products K-brace and torque limiters but BBR guy said don't do it, it can break the aluminum 'ears' on the trans. So if I go the upgraded engine mount route it would make sense to replace this also...
I havent seen any and I have looked
 
I need to get some detailed pictures of the trans mounting area. I have to check to be 100% sure that the mounting area on the transmission itself could even handle a stiffer mount.
 
That raises a very interesting question. I should ask my service advisor. He is very knowledgeable in after market parts for mustangs. As far as the tsb it is being done on Friday when I take it in.
 
I do remember when I had the driveshaft loop installed he told me the trans bolts are right at their limit. I will try and get some pictures and info this weekend. I do not think it would do much more then bring more noise and a rougher ride in the car by making it any stiffer. Maybe all three trans mount and both engine mounts being changed out may help a bit but again will make it louder inside and may even make a rougher ride.
 
jeepinocala said:
I need to get some detailed pictures of the trans mounting area. I have to check to be 100% sure that the mounting area on the transmission itself could even handle a stiffer mount.


This is a TR6060 on my '06 but the mounting area is pretty similar. If it were me, I'd start with replacing the bushing that the trans sits on. I plan to do this soon myself.

DSC_0224.png

DSC_0185.png

DSC_0125.png


Here is a Boss 302R. Pretty stout mount.

KGrHqNq0E-ZRGuSSfBPmsEnDpg_4.jpg
 
175
0
Wow that mounting bracket looks really weak compared to the mount that the T56 comes with. I am not say it is too weak but sure is a big difference. I would put urethane motor mounts in as the first step in making the motor move less. Then you can fill the rear trans mount with liquid rubber help stiffen it up but not make it solid.

IMG_2333.png
 
Well I finally got my car back after a delay of getting the part from Ford. The good news is the part was not the problem but instead there was a rock that got lodged in the trans mount. The part was replaced anyway and everything is as good as new. I also had the trans TSB 11-11-1 done and so far very satisfied. Once it turns colder I will know for sure.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top