The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Is there a way to mount oil temp gauge to steering column?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've got a fancy Stack oil temp gauge and its getting installed this week. I don't see any adapters for locating gauges on the S197 steering column ala Sun Tach's from the 80's on tilt wheel Chevelle's :) Only old bastards will understand how cool that tach was. I was hoping for something slightly better than a hose clamp.

suntach.jpg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I tried to find a column mount pod as well. Autometer makes one for the SN95 cars, but nothing for the S197’s. I ended up going with this Roush pod that mounts in the left vent. Install was pretty easy and it’s very well made.
https://www.roushperformance.com/mustang-gauge-pod-vent-2010-2012.html
Yes i saw that one but it looks like a b*)#h to install. will try the hose clamp method

edit: here is the gauge pod my pal is printing now..will use two sided tape to stick it to the dash middle part.

single_s197_gauge_pod.png

Last edited:
I'll edit this with pics tomorrow couple of things to note.
1. when you add a temp sensor to the setrab hot inlet there is some lag there in the gague readings simple due to lack of through flow around the probe (you can't put the probe in line due to it blocking the -10).
2. the wind blowing right on the aluminum sensor holder artificilally lowers the temp readings - so just put a bunch of insulation around it.
3. had to re-tighten theh -10 lines as oil was seeping. oh and be ready to take the entire bumper and grill off the car to gain eaccess.
4. you can only get a key on 12V line from the passenger footwell fuse box on an S197. if you want to white wire hooked up to a switched on power with the lights you need to pull the console and tap into one of the traction control harness wires. i think its the purple one just probe it and find out.. its very simple and easy to get your console off with no tools.
5. placement? don't laugh its right between the two main cluster gauges .. slighlty blocking the curent fuel and temps.

Hope this helps people in the future.

I've got a fancy Stack oil temp gauge and its getting installed this week. I don't see any adapters for locating gauges on the S197 steering column ala Sun Tach's from the 80's on tilt wheel Chevelle's :) Only old bastards will understand how cool that tach was. I was hoping for something slightly better than a hose clamp.

View attachment 89848
Sun tachs and Stewart Warner gauges..rock on
dependable as an anvil and about as rugged

I'll edit this with pics tomorrow couple of things to note.
1. when you add a temp sensor to the setrab hot inlet there is some lag there in the gauge readings simple due to lack of through flow around the probe (you can't put the probe in line due to it blocking the -10).
2. the wind blowing right on the aluminum sensor holder artificially lowers the temp readings - so just put a bunch of insulation around it.
3. had to re-tighten the -10 lines as oil was seeping. oh and be ready to take the entire bumper and grill off the car to gain eaccess.
4. you can only get a key on 12V line from the passenger footwell fuse box on an S197. if you want to white wire hooked up to a switched on power with the lights you need to pull the console and tap into one of the traction control harness wires. i think its the purple one just probe it and find out.. its very simple and easy to get your console off with no tools.
5. placement? don't laugh its right between the two main cluster gauges .. slightly blocking the currant fuel and temps.

Hope this helps people in the future.
Updates - pic included
1. the reason it seems dead at first is because the cooltech oil cooler doesn't even let oil flow to the cooler (and thus, the temp sensor) until it hits 140F.
2. She runs very cool in normal driving.. trip to starbucks and the pet store, with some 7200 RPM second gear pulls and it was sitting at 180F oil temp.
3. the whole thing about boiling your e85 water out of the oil, good luck unless you really beat on the engine or are racing it.
4. its going to help me tape the grill off for sure having this much engine temp knowledge.

stack_oil_temp_s197.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors