The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tuning 2018 with CJ manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
21 Car has a new engine combo and I am looking for a 93 octane tune for road racing. OEM Gen 3 longblock, stock cams, ARH 1 7/8" headers New Cobra Jet Intake, JLT CJ CAI and VMP Digital Twin 69mm Odin TB. Transmission is the 2015-17 geared MT-82 with 3.73, 3.55, or 4.09 gears. The car previously was run with a Bullitt manifold and TB and was custom tuned using SCT. I have the device and will be flashing back to stock once I complete the engine reinstall. I have ordered a MPVI3 device if HP Tuners is preferred. Anyone know of a good tuner in the Nashville/Knoxville TN area or a reputable tuner that is willing to do it remotely? Looking for a safe solid tune, not necessarily a full kill calibration.
Thanks
Steve

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
You're welcome. He takes care of most of the exotics and track rats around Knoxville. That is where I go when I can't do something myself. I have not been disappointed.

You're welcome. He takes care of most of the exotics and track rats around Knoxville. That is where I go when I can't do something myself. I have not been disappointed.
Eric took me on a ride along at Gingerman in his Coyote. His tuned, Boss intake engine is really strong as measured by my butt dyno in the passenger seat. Compared to my stock ‘14 GT, the different was significant.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Talked with Roddy yesterday. Very enthusiastic about working on my car, which is important to me. Means he cares about what he does and will work to make it as perfect as possible. He did say he has done work on some NASA race cars and a bunch of track cars as well. We shall see, I have a dyno tuning appointment for September 18.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
Been using Lund Racing on my car and i am extremely happy with the tune and their service. They've done a million & 1 mustangs so they do know their shiznit

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
For that combo I would go straight to Shaun at AED. His remote tunes are great and they are very much tailored to your car and conditions.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
For that combo I would go straight to Shaun at AED. His remote tunes are great and they are very much tailored to your car and conditions.
Shaun has refused to tune my car on 93 octane premium fuel. I don't like E85 and don't have easy access to it where I live. And paying $13 a gallon for race fuel is not happening.

Shaun has refused to tune my car on 93 octane premium fuel. I don't like E85 and don't have easy access to it where I live. And paying $13 a gallon for race fuel is not happening.
He did the same with me but know he's done other 93 tunes. Maybe it's because we have stuff in our cars that's different than what he requires or prefers in/on the engine. He's probably just protecting himself.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
He did the same with me but know he's done other 93 tunes. Maybe it's because we have stuff in our cars that's different than what he requires or prefers in/on the engine. He's probably just protecting himself.
He did 93 tunes for me before including CJ. He doesn't like pump gas for road race cars, and I guess he has been vilified on some failures. I don't play like that, if I'm putting a tune on a motor there are not guarantees of longevity and its my responsibility. But I have found a semi local shop recommended by EF1 and it will be good to see the process on the dyno and have some input. You don't get to do that remotely and especially not with Shaun.

He did 93 tunes for me before including CJ. He doesn't like pump gas for road race cars, and I guess he has been vilified on some failures. I don't play like that, if I'm putting a tune on a motor there are not guarantees of longevity and its my responsibility. But I have found a semi local shop recommended by EF1 and it will be good to see the process on the dyno and have some input. You don't get to do that remotely and especially not with Shaun.
I definitely liked mine being on the Mustang dyno. There is nothing like live fine tuning between pulls. Plus it's a rush watching!

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
@steveespo Do you still have your factory AirBox? I see an opportunity to make some modifications and seal that from the compartment.
I have the GT350 box yes. Was thinking of doing that too, don't know what benefit it would bring with the car in motion. I have studied open and closed tops Intake Air temps at speed and there is a definitive difference. Maybe an aluminum sheet barrier on the back side to reflect the header heat. But willing to listen to ideas.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Was in the dog house with Shaun for a while as well. Once I showed him the car was tracked for 5 years on 93 fuel he relented and tuned the car. I also rejected E85 from a cost and bother point of view. But the cooling benefits and the fact that I found supplier for 200 Liter barrel of cane ethanol a great price, ment we could mix our own hooch. Cars all setup for E85 but still have not tested it yet.

Just for info, my custom tunes with Shaun are usually three to four logs and tunes to get to the final setup.

$13 a gallon would kill the idea for me as well. My E85 will be about 7 to 8 bucks a gallon

I have the GT350 box yes. Was thinking of doing that too, don't know what benefit it would bring with the car in motion. I have studied open and closed tops Intake Air temps at speed and there is a definitive difference. Maybe an aluminum sheet barrier on the back side to reflect the header heat. But willing to listen to ideas.
My information may be dated but the IMSA Mustangs run the stock GT Airbox. 1. Part of the rules being how it was spec'd with the series and 2. Too much negative pressure in the engine compartment stole air from the intake. They seem to make plenty of power..mainly because they race with the hood down and not on a spinny drum. All combustion engines are force inducted, even N/A ones, air has mass, therefore density, sealing that thing to the front and ramming 100MPH air into is better than making the ring seal suck it in from a low pressure hot engine compartment. Just my opinion, which is usually unpopular but I did plenty of data collection of how fuel curves respond to different conditions in semi sealed engine rooms. They do very poorly when the fans shut off and they try to suck in 120F air in a vacuum while maintaining load....

TMO Supporting Vendors