The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Water temp gauge port location.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.


Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Anyone have a spot on the engine to mount autometer temp sensor on the engine. I want to leave the stock sensor untouched and I thought someone posted there is a block plug where the cold weather block heater goes in. Where does the gauge pod tell us to tap in?
I was at a friend's house today who was installing the LS guage pack on his 5.0. He pointed to the orange line of the block heater that he said was the location where he was installing the water temp sender.
Yep, block heater is the place to go.

3/4" NPT. You can get a 3/4" NPT to 1/2"NPT brass reducer at Home Depot and then your gauge should have the reducer from there to the sending unit. (At least Auto Meter has this.)
Anytime Steve. If memory serves, you will need a jumbo Allen wrench to remove the OEM plug which *I think* is 7/16". Anyway, I found a bolt in the shop with 7/16" head and tack welded a nut to the other end. Essentially made a tool to get this darn plug out without running all over town looking for a jumbo Allen. LOL If you don't have a welder, I bet you can jam two nuts on the bolt-tool and achieve the same effect.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel