The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Thanks, Dave! But it's far from a show finish. It's more of a temporary fix until I have the time or inclination to respray the whole cover. And I wanted to experiment and see for myself if it could be done that way. Professional painters don't do work like this because of the risk of delaminating existing layers, and the chance that it'll look like crap and reflect poorly on their business. There's also the chance that it'll fail miserably in very short time. I don't worry about any of that! ;)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Last night on a drive, I noticed that I could see unusually well into the trees. ::)

Adjusted my headlights down a bit as soon as it got dark tonight. CCW on the blue adjustment screw to aim more downward.

Downside: Harder to spot owls and racoons in trees now.

Re: what did you do to your boss today?

[quote author Washed mine this morning, then drove around going absolutly nowhere just to listen to the engine with the red key and watching the gas gauge go down! Love it.
=Sesshomurai link=topic=2494.msg41329#msg41329 date=1342297796]
Phew! Glad I'm not the only one who does this!
[/quote]

Nice fall weather here in N. Texas, Great for a drive to no place in particular. Too bad the P zeros don't like the cooler temps.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Kevin came by the shop while I was busy working and stole my carpet....I swear that guy just loves to cut up my car!

15109354_10154701347198535_7187671366835235171_n.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Grant 302 said:
HA! Tell him he needs to steal the sound deadener with it! ;)
I think he's coming back :eek:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
He just pops in when he's in the neighborhood and knows where all the tools are so while I'm busy he goes to the race car side of the shop and does his thing, when he leaves there's a pile of parts on the floor....no telling what is next...

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Ordered the parts to do a rear axle overhaul on my BAUS. Rear axles, bearings and seals, plus new 302S lower control arms to go along with the Multimatic 302R upper arm. Had a real bad vibration and wheel hop last weekend at VIR that kinda spoiled a great weekend. Check your axles for play in all directions.
Steve

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Built my Laguna Pipes today....hope its enough. :'(

15170921_10154706658903535_7231698413603071686_n.jpg

15179008_10154706658888535_2161218486304454242_n.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
VoodooBOSS said:
Well done. Is there any sound deadening in that pipe?
Nope. The car is pretty dang quiet so I'm hoping the re-direction will be enough.
If not, I have a more elaborate plan....

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Fabman:

Nice job. Did you get a chance to road test it? If so, what were your impressions?

Just courious, if LS is so sound conscious would this mod matter during a tech inspection?

Thanks, and great pics too.
2HP

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
302 Hi Pro said:
Fabman:

Nice job. Did you get a chance to road test it? If so, what were your impressions?

Just courious, if LS is so sound conscious would this mod matter during a tech inspection?

Thanks, and great pics too.
2HP
Have not road tested it yet.
I did run it in the shop but with it exiting on the drivers side like that I didn't notice much difference.
HOWEVER, at Laguna the sound meter is on the passenger side so hopefully this will be enough to squeak by.
Previously I changed out the mufflers to a way quiet setup. This is just basically insurance.
Sure hope it pays off. :-\

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Old mufflers:
https://www.facebook.com/MauiSal/videos/10153621575548535/

New Mufflers:
https://www.facebook.com/MauiSal/videos/10154572844223535/

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The new ones have a crappy tone but are much quieter....doesn't really come across in the video but on the track it was screaming before while now its nowhere near as loud.

Plus before you could hear it from a long way off while now as soon as its gone so is the noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHAsG0npBj8

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I have a very un-interesting piece of video from Sonoma that suggests it's way quieter on track...but it's barely worth producing and posting except to make this point.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Here...not sure this helps...but I'm hopeful. Stay tuned.

https://www.facebook.com/MauiSal/videos/10154706934233535/

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Surfergeek said:
Nice, simple, clean.

For something that we all don't want to do, but have to, hope it's effective!

Huge difference in sound from just changing your mufflers though too.
Thank you.
I originally had a much more elaborate plan but after hearing these mufflers I decided not to hang any more junk behind the bumper unless I had to, so the re direct was done. Hope this wasn't a mistake.
I don't mind doing the extra fab work, I'd just hate to show up and get black flagged. Again. :-[

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel