The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman said:
I had that same steeda panhard bar before I went to the Cortex watts. It worked perfectly.
Only issue was that it hit the coilover so I had to trim it up a bunch to clear the spring as the body rolls.

600678_10153979482073535_6587495187083233932_n.jpg

Oh that be a lot of triming !!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Tri-bar said:
Oh that be a lot of triming !!
Yeah, as the body rolls/suspension droops the spring gets closer the the bracket so I had to take a pretty big swipe out of it. Probably a bit more than I needed but not a whole lot more.

Rear axle seals. Tapped the the stock Boss cover for drain plug. Put in a better vent for diff breathing. Lube locker diff gasket. Fresh fill of royal purple. Installed jack plates! Re torque of Fays 2 watts link bolts. Then the rain came in. Who says it doesn't rain in hell. LOL. Its gotta rain for Barrett Jackson else we wouldn't get rain in Az.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Started the install of the LS Gauge pack yesterday and got everything inside the car done. Will finish up the rest today. Also talked with my guy at the local speedshop and we talked about the Torsen install. He told me he can do the job for about $450 and that includes replacing the axle seals and bearings and the pinion kit. I think it's reasonable and may take him up on his offer rather than rolling around on my back and taking ten tymes the amount of hours to get the job done.

Had the right side catalytic converter changed for code P0420. it had the code twice so my Ford dealer changed it. It was covered by the Federal Emissions Warranty. I love spending Ford money.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I flogged the dog shiznit outta mine today at laguna seca. New personal best, but still plenty of speed left in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fabman said:
I flogged the dog shiznit outta mine today at laguna seca. New personal best, but still plenty of speed left in the car.

Brakes good?!

I finally got around to replacing my rear wheel bearings and seals. Also mounted the rear cortex torque arm bracket while the diff cover was off. Getting ready to install the torque arm in a couple of weeks.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
F.D. Sako said:
Brakes good?!

I finally got around to replacing my rear wheel bearings and seals. Also mounted the rear cortex torque arm bracket while the diff cover was off. Getting ready to install the torque arm in a couple of weeks.
So far so good. They are getting pretty hot, maxes out my temp gun. But it stops and so far no drag so that's an improvement.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Funny thing just happened....I got black flagged for warming my tires up on the out lap...I was just scrubbing them in before I poured the coals to it and I got a talkin' to about it. Pit steward said if I wanted to scrub my tires I needed to do it in the paddock. WTF? Anybody heard of this before?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
What good would that do, they would just cool back off waiting in line. I don't understand.

Bay Area
Fabman said:
Funny thing just happened....I got black flagged for warming my tires up on the out lap...I was just scrubbing them in before I poured the coals to it and I got a talkin' to about it. Pit steward said if I wanted to scrub my tires I needed to do it in the paddock. WTF? Anybody heard of this before?

Scrub tires in the paddock? WTF, that's just stupid.

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Bailed on doing the Torsen install myself and dropped the car off at Finish Line Performance yesterday to do it for me with the rear axle seals and pinion kit as well. The price was right and I'll pick up the car next Saturday.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
byronj said:
Scrub tires in the paddock? WTF, that's just stupid.
I don't get it....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fabman said:

No, never. Quite the opposite in fact. I along with several other board members typically attend an event at VIR in February. Temperatures are often around 30 degrees for the first session. A big part of the driver's meeting covers a multi-lap yellow flagged out lap and building heat in the tires before going to green.

Not just today, but this winter: Changed engine, differential, transmission, and coolant fluids, installed new inner tie rods, aligned car, replaced cracked mufflers and h-pipe, installed Cortex Watts link, flushed brakes, replaced rear pads, torque checked suspension bolts, and detailed car.

I think I'm set for VIR in two weeks.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
12-Boss:

Looking forward to reading about your review on the handling effects of your newly installed Cortex Watts Link after you run VIR.

Sure sounds like your ready.
2HP

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Always a good day when I have time to drive both cars. One of my friends (and fellow Boss owner) *finally* saw my real Boss today. Known him for over 3 years.

TymeSlayer said:
Bailed on doing the Torsen install myself and dropped the car off at Finish Line Performance yesterday to do it for me with the rear axle seals and pinion kit as well. The price was right and I'll pick up the car next Saturday.

*gasp* You let another man touch her? :eek:

Just kidding. A smart man knows when to get help! :)

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Grant 302 said:
Always a good day when I have time to drive both cars. One of my friends (and fellow Boss owner) *finally* saw my real Boss today. Known him for over 3 years.

*gasp* You let another man touch her? :eek:

Just kidding. A smart man knows when to get help! :)

I have one of those gauges that measures cost vs. how many cuss words will be used in the operation. This decision was no contest.

TMO Supporting Vendors