The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Oh, Neema those Mamas are sticky, sticky --killer autocross donuts!
Fabman and Bob , agree that Fabricators are hard to find and those that do it well are in high demand. I gladly take my car over to Palmer Racing Development in Iowa , as Dean Palmer is an old school fabricator as well as a damn good designer. I have a feeling I agree with your dad , Fabman, because though I have been in the business for over 30 years, and I understand 90% of the concepts, my skill level is really more on the level of , " Would you like a check or do you prefer MasterCard or Visa, ha!"

drano38

Wayne
Stopped at a Sioux City IA gas station on the way to MO. A pickup stops on the other side of the pump. A 25ish year old gets out, walks over to me and asks if he can see under the hood of my Boss.
Of course he's impressed. :D
He thinks its supercharged, so I explained the air manifold design.

drano38

Wayne
Drove the Boss to work today. News this morning said light snow in the afternoon. I didn't think much of it. Turned into a full fledged snow.
On the way home decided to stay off the interstate and took the county highway home. That was mostly covered in packed snow -- was glad when back into the coral.
Here's a pic as I left work.

Snow_Boss.jpg

Glad you made it home safely!

Drove the Boss to work today. News this morning said light snow in the afternoon. I didn't think much of it. Turned into a full fledged snow.
On the way home decided to stay off the interstate and took the county highway home. That was mostly covered in packed snow -- was glad when back into the coral.
Here's a pic as I left work.

View attachment 10613
drano38,You got more courage than me.....I don't take my Boss out even if there's a chance of rain..all tho I did get caught in a snow squall one winter. One minute it was sunny, the next minute blizzard conditions, then sunny again by the tyme I got home.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Only drove once in the snow with my Boss. It was on my way to Vegas for the 50th bash in April and on the OEM Pirelli tires I drove over the Rockies and hit some light snow on the other side of Eisenhower Tunnel heading west. I hated how slippery the car felt coming down a 7 percent grade. It was a short weather cycle thank goodness. Happy to see you got yourself and the car home in one piece Wayne.

drano38

Wayne
And my Boss is in the coral for the winter as well.
Changed the oil Monday, then backed her out today to get the snow blower and power broom out from in front.
Hope we don't get snow any time soon. Was a nice 50 degrees today.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Got a few more things to do to the car this week/weekend to be ready for Thanksgiving weekend race, but picked these up in the meantime from earlier this year...

74915062_1410118799145727_7312917849985515520_n.jpg

Got the all-season's out to start getting ready for winter. This signifies the end of my track season, which is sad, but it, along with Black Friday, also signals the opening of mod season! It's all about cooling upgrades this year.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Got the all-season's out to start getting ready for winter. This signifies the end of my track season, which is sad, but it, along with Black Friday, also signals the opening of mod season! It's all about cooling upgrades this year.
If you are thinking about a radiator, get the C&R one...spendy but it works very well.

It's on my list! It is actually the only element left to pick up. I am waiting on my Triple Titanic HE (along with bigger lines/fittings and pump) from DOB, and have a big gnarly custom hood vent from Race Louvers sitting on a shelf. I want to install them all at one shot. Thanks for the feedback on the C&R!

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Cleaned up the intake system and did both an idle and throttle body relearn in hopes of settling my rough idle issue. Seems to work so far as she's idling much better. Got it done before the snow returns tonight and it was great to get the car out after it's been sitting for over a month. Now hear a slight metallic click that seems to be coming from the front driver's side wheel. They grow closer together the faster I go.

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I can do a Crank Relearn and clear the KAM with my SCT X4 but how does one do an idle and TB relearn?

The idle relearn was simple. Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes. Reconnect the battery and start the car with nothing else on. Bring up to normal operating temperature and then run the a/c on high for at least a minute. Drive the car for about 20 minutes as you normally will. I then let the car sit for a half hour and when restarted, she idled perfectly. Waited another three hours and started her up again and she's golden.

The Throttle body relearn was similar. Disconnect the battery and TB plug. Cleaned out the TB with brake cleaner although it was pretty clean. Waited a half hour, reconnected everything and started the car. That clunking noise I heard was the relearn process. I let the car idle for ten minutes before taking her out for another 20 minute ride.

I did this because after my little spin in Hastings, the car would idle rough and almost stall. No codes were thrown.

TMO Supporting Vendors