The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awesome, I just joined TMO, looking to change my car from a street/drag weekend car to a street/track weekend car. I have a couple sets of rims but I was looking to use my 19x10s sqaure, but I keep debating on going 19x11s, I’m leaning towards just keeping them and either run the stock 18s for street and put 285/295 slicks on them for the track or just run 285/35s 100/200 treadwear 100% of the time. So much good information on this website.

Thank you!
I will be running an 18x10 setup more than likely. 200 treadwear squared stance. Perfect setup for an hpde / weekend car.
[/QUOT

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Love my three sets of 18x11 Apex rims, and suggest you look into those if adding a new set. There are alot more choices in the 18 inch size, plus they will usually be less expensive.

Welcome and you are relatively close to the Mustang Roundup coming up in October of this year at Motorsports Park Hastings ( check out racemph.com ). Large gathering of Mustang track rats, Ford Engineers, and often some cool sponsors.

Oh, yeah, did I mention partying, with a little extra partying thrown in?!

Last edited:
Love my three sets of 18x11 Apex rims, and suggest you look into those if adding a new set. There are alot more choices in the 18 inch size, plus they will usually be less expensive.

Welcome and you are relatively close to the Mustang Roundup coming up in October of this year at Motorsports Park Hastings ( check out racemph.com ). Large gathering of Mustang track rats, Ford Engineers, and often some cool sponsors.

Oh, yeah, did I mention partying, with a little extra partying thrown in?!

Yes, I wouldn't mind finding an 18x11 or 19x11 set. I would love to attend, I have already driven to Omaha a couple times for work this year, before this all started, so that wouldn't be bad. I am signed up to do the Mustang Round in Steamboat Springs, but we will see if that is still a go for June...

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Tymeslayer will be in Steamboat, if the event goes through, so there will be some other TMO folks at the event. Tough finding used sets, but Apex often has group buys ( one just finished up) and their regular pricing is not bad at all.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Yes, I wouldn't mind finding an 18x11 or 19x11 set. I would love to attend, I have already driven to Omaha a couple times for work this year, before this all started, so that wouldn't be bad. I am signed up to do the Mustang Round in Steamboat Springs, but we will see if that is still a go for June...

Let me know if you do go to Steamboat (If the RMMR is still a go in June) and I'll talk you into heading out to Hasting in October as Pemberton mentioned. We can caravan out. Did you get signed up for the AutoX up in Steamboat?

Let me know if you do go to Steamboat (If the RMMR is still a go in June) and I'll talk you into heading out to Hasting in October as Pemberton mentioned. We can caravan out. Did you get signed up for the AutoX up in Steamboat?

Yes sir, signed up for AutoX, and staying at the Grand. I lived up there for a few years back in 08'-11'. I would be able to head out to Hasting as well. I still need to get my car in Autox/Track form. I hang out with all of the GT350 guys in Denver.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I hang out with all of the GT350 guys in Denver.

I'll forgive you for that!

We are staying at 7th and Lincoln downtown for the last RMMR in Steamboat. It will be moving next year to another mountain location. You won't miss my Kona Blue Boss rolling around town or at the AutoX and look forward to meeting you. I promise, the Roundup in Hastings is worth the drive and the folks out there are solid citizens. Just watch out for the guy cracking jokes in bad German and his white 302S! The guys who drive their Kona Blue Bosses out there are his pit crew. 😜

Finally got my airbag recall done this morning. Took them about 2 hours and I don't see any marks or scratches so I am happy.

Oh, and the new Stoptech 6 piston calipers, 15" floating rotors, and Ferodo 2500 pads are flippin incredible. Was looking at doing GT500 6 piston Brembos, S550 6 piston Brembos, or the GT350 Brembos but found these Stoptechs for roughly the same cost and these were the lightest (on my scale the rotors are 20lbs 13oz, calipers about 9lbs). I've used the 2500s in other cars (2 Evos and also for years with this car prior to the Stoptechs) and am shocked at how much better these new brakes stop the car. The pedal feel is exceptional, too. Very pleased.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
I've slowly been working on the car (lots of waiting for parts and tools) and finally put it back together to go for a test drive yesterday - felt great!
Some of the original bushings in the rear were cracked or torn so I got a Steeda UCA (Poly, non-adj), replaced the diff bushing (OE replacement, thanks @67GTA for letting me borrow your tool), replaced some of my 20mm rear sway bar bushings with Prothane bushings, and installed a DSS 1 piece Driveshaft.
The combination of the new bushings with the 1 pc DS made a big improvement in driveline "slop" and clunking. Definitely still have some play in the diff and possibly the trans (output shaft?) but it's much better than before. The car is also much more predictable on corner exit and actually puts down the power better!
The DS is so much lighter and definitely revs faster (not mind blowing but noticeable), but unfortunately that also makes the 2-3 redline shift harder. The 4-5 shift on track will take a lifetime. Definitely need a new clutch, new synchros would certainly help too.

I also put my stock mufflers back on since the Flowmaster American Thunder I picked up recently weren't that different. Nice sound but barely louder than the Boss mufflers from inside the car, louder from the rear but less sound from the side pipes. Much lighter and better flowing but I missed the signature sound from the side pipes.

DSS.jpg

UCA.jpg

Drove it after more than a month. Stay at home order was lifted today. Did about 75 miles. The road is like the Dragon ,shorter and a litter tighter. Still a lot of fun. Great weather ,no clouds and 50 degrees. Did I say I was up and out early. Smiled a lot. This is a two for. I live in Tennessee so they opened early. I don't like that. I tested negative on the 15th so I feel better but still worried. It is a good thing I am a hermit at heart. Stay safe everyone.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Recently got it back from Palmer Racing Development and it got caught in a light rain when my son picked it up for me , so I went out and cleaned her up real nice, even shined up the race rubber with Armor All!! I know , who the Hell puts Armor All on Race Tires,er........that would be Pandemic Pemberton. Crap I have a bad case of cabin fever so why not, there was nothing else left to clean and polish.

The bonus was I noticed the freezer was leaking and I was able to save the big items ( meat and more meat ) from thawing out. Hope to have it looked at tomorrow, but cleaning the Boss S saved the bacon --literally.

TMO Supporting Vendors